Friday, September 01, 2006


Introducing - Daisy Fae, who is very pleased to meet you all. This is the mark one version, the photograph is a little pale in colour, she is much more vibrant than shown. Changes I have decided on for mark two are keeping her body white or pale, making it with the same fine material, I did consider making her out of felt, but it was too clumsy looking, she is quite a delicate soul. The hair is embroidery threads, I had a shopping expedition, yesterday and I have found some other materials that might make very good tresses for her, still keeping the multi-coloured hair though. Her face needs more work and I have now got the necessary equipment to define her features better, although she is not going to have a shaped face. She stands roughly eleven inches high, I must measure her and be more accurate. Her skirts especially, will probably not always be the same colours and maybe her hair may change colour occaionally too. I am pleased with her for my first attempt and she is near to what I envisaged. I also received my delivery of toy filling yesterday and so everything is there ready for me to begin making more. The only thing about the toy filling is that I think I underestimated the amount, thinking it was quite lightweight I thought the amount I ordered would have been larger, so must put another order in and source some other bulk supplier for it.


Now please allow me a proud mother moment. As I mentioned a few posts back, my daugher came up from London one weekend to go to her friend's wedding and I just wanted to post these three photographs that I took in my main living room of her in her 'glad-rags' before she went off to the wedding. The dress was chiffon, and the photograph does not really do justice to the fine variations in the depth of the pink as the dress flared. She wore the little black lace shrug for the actual wedding and then removed it at the reception. Although I say it myself I thought she looked stunning. I can never get a good photograph of my son he always manages to pull a silly face just as the shutter clicks. He has done that since he was a child and you would think that by the age of twenty-eight he might have learnt to stand still and have a proper photograph but no, then he laughingly complains I have more photographs of my daughter. The only good photographs of him are when he is in the midst of a group of his friends and just looks totally natural.



I have been tagged for a meme by Sandy of Vintage Collage and Quilts. This is where you grab the book closest to you [no cheating], open it at page 123. Scroll down to the fifth sentence, then copy out the next three sentences. Here goes then:-

I take her arm, and away we go. When we get to the edge of the Meadow I say,'Shade or sun?' and she answers,'Oh, sun, to be sure,' and so we take the path that cuts through the middle of the Meadow, that leads to the clearing. As we walk, I describe.

The book is The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger. I am now supposed to name three more people to do this. Hmm now who do I know that might like to do this sort of thing. This is the first time I have done a meme.


I think I will pick Janet from Just bee-cause..... just because I know she does these things ha ha, Tea from Tea and Margaritas, I think she would enjoy doing it and maybe a new blogging commenter, Gardengirl from Paper Lanterns, and in doing that I have covered three countries. Don't worry if you don't want to do it, and if anyone else wants to try it please go ahead and do it.

After my last posting about the joys of autumn that was rapidly approaching, would you believe it has been really warm today and I spent a delicious two hours sitting in the garden this afternoon, sipping a cup of coffee and reading my book, enjoying the flowers still blooming. Speaking of that last posting, I was talking about the disappearance of the swallows, they have not been flying in the sky for some days now,I had watched for them, all I could think of was that they had begun their journey to their winter quarters and I must have missed them setting off. Today the sky was full of swallows again, so where have they been this past few days? I always understood that swallows were constantly on the wing and didn't park themselves in trees like other birds. Has anyone any ideas or has anyone noticed this sort of behaviour before? I also meant to say that the picture of the girls standing round the pile of leaves is by John Millais.


I have done another drawing in felt tip and watercolour pencil. I am trying to keep myself drawing again, after finding the courage. This one is a nature faery and the title is Nature's Helper. She is one of the faeries that flys around our gardens casting her magic dust to encourage our plants to grow, our flowers to bloom and to make sure that the eco balance of our garden is secure, she will make sure that friendly bugs such as ladybirds are balanced against the pests they eat, so all can live together in harmony. She hates chemicals that people sometimes use in their garden, as they make the colour of her wings fade and she is very proud of her vibrant delicate wings. If you sit very quietly in the garden on warm day as twilight is beginning and you do not make any sudden movements but watch carefully you may be lucky enough to catch sight of her wings fluttering by and see tiny motes in the air as she throws her nurturing powder around. Try it and see if you can spy her?


21 comments:

Miss Robyn said...

I love Daisy Fae, I love your daughter, I love your drawing but above all I love you, ms*daisy - you are a gentle sweet soul xo
I have my little dolly on the drawing board as I type, you have spurred me on to get going with her.. my son is 31 and he never has a great photo either - pulled faces or spoons over his eyes.. I should just post one to embarrass him.
blessings & bliss to you on this gorgeous spring day - well autumn for you! xo

Lisa Oceandreamer Swifka said...

Daisy, Daisy Fae is as charming and lovely as I knew she would be and more.(you are right about the stuffing though, it goes fast) Your daughter is gorgeous and your garden fairy and her description are too. I'm so glad to see your drawings emerge!!! I have had The Time Travelers Wife for a while now and have not read it yet, are you enjoying it?

Annabelle said...

Hi Daisy Lupin,

Your daughter is beautiful and your fairy as well. Do take some pics of your kids both you and Miss r because if you don't your kids will end up like me {camera shy} and not having many pics to reminisce on.
Annabelle

Janet said...

Daisy Fae is so delicate and pretty. And your daughter is just gorgeous. Would love to see pics of your son, too. He must be like me....I try to avoid cameras at all costs!

PS - thanks for tagging me for this one. You know I love these things!

Shelley said...

Happy Septemeber to you. I love your fairies. You make them...I write poetry about them. Do you sell these?
You're very talented.

Annie Jeffries said...

Good evening D. I love your sweet Daisy Fae. She is so delicate and dainty. And your daughter is a real beauty - all that wonderful dark hair and dark eyes. I'd bet your son is good looking too but what is it about sons? My son pulls his face at a camera all the time too. The sillies.

Rowan said...

Daisy Fae is charming, I especially love her wings. Your daughter looks beautiful with her long dark hair, the vibrant pink is a perfect colour for her. I've done the meme thing - the book nearest me is Beningfield's Vanishing Songbirds. I'll post the sentences on my blog. What a fun idea.

Rowan said...

I forgot to say about the swallows - I think it's swifts that never touch land, at this time of year the swallows tend to gather together and perch along telegraph wires and fences etc prior to making the long journey to South Africa as a huge flock. It may be that they were gathering elsewhere and are just about ready to leave now. It always astounds me that such fragile little beings make that journey twice every year.
I must look for the garden fairy - her wings will be rather wet this morning though I think

Lisa said...

I love the drawing of your garden helper and Daisy Fae. You made me want to go out and watch for faeries. :) Your daughter is beautiful and the dress looks lovely on her.

Tea said...

Daisy Fae is wonderful! And your drawing..now you`re an original artist for sure!
What a beautiful daughter you have and in a lovely dress too.
Thanks so much for thinking of me Daisy .
I wouldn`t mind giving it a try. Not sure how well I`d do. How would one go about that?
Off to work and I`ll check in later :)

tea
xo

J C said...

Daisy Fae is delicate and lovely. You have done a wonderful job and my anticipation has been well rewarded. Your daughter is beautiful and I can tell you are very proud of her. Good job mom!

I wanted to go look for fairies but it's raining hard now. I think I see one under a White Bird leaf...

PamKittyMorning said...

Love the photos, very pretty pictures of your daughter!

MariaJ said...

You have such a beautiful daughter! You fairy is also very charming and it'll be interesting to see what you will do next...

Tea said...

Hi again Daisy.....I`ve looked up the word meme and also checked at Janet`s blog, but I`m still baffled what exactly I`m to do. At first I thought it was continuing your story with a sentence....but I don`t think that`s it.
Duh!! lol

tea
xo

gma said...

Another lovely post from you. Your daughter is very pretty. Also want to tell you I've seen Nature's helper doing her magic here in Az. too
:-)

Beth said...

Now you have 2 very nice looking Ladys in your post today. Daisy Fae is so pretty,,what wonderful work you have done with her. And your daughter is just stunning! I Love her dark hair and the dress is so pretty too! I know your proud of her. My son is the same way as yours,,always has to mug for a pic. I Love the art work too! Its so nice here this week-end weather wise. Glad I am not on the east cost because a tropical storm is drowning them out for the week-end.
I sure hope you have a delightful week-end Delightful Daisy!!

Golden Granny said...

Hi Daisy, I always enjoy your postings. You have a very beautiful daughter. You are so good at writing, you need to have your fairy and writings published. Have a good weekend.
Lottie

natural attrill said...

Hello! thought I would come and say hi, I found you on PG's blog.
Have you tried making felt? I think really thin hand felted wool would look great for the wings of one of your fairies. You could add strands of sparkly threads when making the felt too. Just an idea.
Looking forward to seeing more, I will visit again.
Penny.

natural attrill said...

Hi, thanks for visiting our blog, have replied to you there.
P.

Dot said...

I love Daisy Fae too!!! And your daughter looks stunning in her lovely pink dress and dark hair. Gorgeous girl!!

You are a inspirational and loving person Hilary. Thanks so much for popping over to my blog to say hi. I appreciate your support. And, am feeling much better now!

Big hugs to you

Dotee xoxo

Carole Burant said...

Oh Daisy, she is beautiful...your daughter AND Daisy Fae!! If you put them for sale (the Daisy Fae, not your daughter lol)please let me know!! You have so much talent and I'm quite impressed at everything you do!! Hugs xoxo