Friday, September 22, 2006


The difference of two days. Yesterday was a really good day, we had been forecast gales, the tail end of hurricane Gordon, but it was a beautiful sunny day, and the wind only blew up late in the afternoon. I spent the morning clearing all the now defunct annuals out of the longest bed in my garden. It was lovely working in the sun, and I didn't need a cardigan over my sleeveless t-shirt. The bed looked a lot tidier, I just left the perennials that are still blooming and some other foliage plants. I have not cut back any of the perennials yet, I like to leave them tall for as long as possible. I finished by cutting a huge bunch of white, magenta and pink dahlias, plus a variety of gladioili to display in the house. Then I finished my gardening by sitting down at the garden table with my cup of coffee and book in the hot sun. Bliss!

Last night I had to go out to a community meeting for my whole area to beg for a grant for my Local History Group to enable it to put together a booklet and have it published, the subject being village memories. The wind had got up quite blustery by that time, but what a strange wind it was, the air was really warm when the wind blew, in fact, it could be described as balmy. The meeting was at another village about eight miles away, and really out in the sticks. Standing up in front of a room of strangers and describing my project and saying why we deserved a grant is not something I take to easily. I don't mind speaking and leading a group of people I know, but I have to use courage in front of strangers. As the time got nearer to my piece, I could feel my heart starting to pound. I was wearing my moonstone bracelet, ring and earrings to empower me and aid me, which they certainly did. I managed to get the grant for the group of exactly the amount we needed.



Today started off really well, although it is a more cloudy day. I had just finished my breakfast when my post lady knocked with a small package for me. It was from Lisa at Hand of Enchantment, who had sent me two altoid tins to play about with and alter. It was so kind of her to send me them but not only that, her husband had sandblasted them for me so they are ready to start on. Thank you Lisa. I have had to hide the tins from myself otherwise I would have wanted to start on them right away and I am far too busy until the end of next week with projects to finish.

Instead I decided to get on with my projects, but it has turned into one of those days. I split a box of pins on the floor, I jammed my sewing machine and had to take it apart and put it together again. Then I was snipping edges on something I had made before turning it the right way and snipped right through the stitches argh.................. I am now in a blue funk, have a lack of concentration and feel quite tierd. I have given up the project work for today and decided to write a new posting instead. This is calming me down, except for the fact I am making a lot of typos and my spelling has suddenly become atrocious. I think why I am feeling like that today is because, I have just noticed this, on my lunar calendar, today is the dark hours before the moon starts waxing again. That probably accounts for my low ebb.

I know a lot of my friends in blog world have not been feeling themselves in the past few days. I came across this information by chance today, or was it by chance, when I was looking for something totally different. Apparently, from 23rd August when the moon went into Virgo until 22nd September, today, or rather tonight when the new moon starts to wax is an exceptionally powerful period, especially between the dates 20th and 22nd September when there is an additional potency as the moon is also moving into a new sign which has an inharmonious element and there will be disruptions in the energy of the luncar cycle as this path forms. That is a synopsis of what is happening in the heavens, and it seems to me it makes sense as to the way a lot of us are feeling.



I have had an idea, I know that a lot us are interested in strange occurences that have happened to us or like stories of strange occurences. Well I was thinking that in the week that is as near to Halloween as possible, or even on Halloween, if any of us have time, why don't we all post something on our blogs in keeping with the ethos of Halloween. You could either tell of something strange that has happened to you, or one of your family or just retell a local legend or ghost story you know. It would make for fantastic Halloween posts and we could all visit each others sites to read the stories. What do you think, all of you out there? Anyone like the idea? Lets see how many great tales we get to read by candlelight.


23 comments:

Heather said...

What a fun idea! I've got a cheerful ghost story to tell on Halloween for you! (btw I love the picture of the lady in the garden - what a gorgeous print that would make)

couragetocreatewriteandlove said...

I love your pictures and you sound just like me when I am around cleaning my garden. I will think of my story for all of you. Before I forget I love the wanted ad for a fairy! Great!

Naturegirl said...

BRAVO to you for getting the grant and for being passionate to your cause!..Clap.. Clap!
The autumnal equinox with its full moon is causing MUCH unrest with MANY including me!
Your spooky idea sounds like fun!Will
put my thinking cap on.Nice images on this post.

Janet said...

That sounds like a great idea! And I think you were brave to stand up in front of strangers to ask for a grant. Not sure I could do that! I hate speaking in public.

I'm glad you also had some time to enjoy your garden while the weather is still nice. We're having lots of wind but it's still sunny and warm here.

KaiBlue said...

Aloha Daisy.. What a groovy idea.. I like the autumn equinox when it enters Virgo (my sign) I always get wicked wild dreams and my crafty stymulation is off the scale..lol
Like you I need to hide projects away until I finish the ones I have..
I think for halloween, I'll finally tell the tale of **girl**, she's a reoccuring nightmare I have..
The other stuff I write that's horror would not be prudent here..
I adore your pictures posted, as always it's lovely to have a cuppa and visit with you on your blog,
Cheers!!
Peace, Kai

Gretel said...

OOH, does that explain why I haven't been able to settle to any painting work? I'm all over the place, all flibberty gibberty, which is not really like me at all...glad it will pass...Hallowe'en bloggy thing is great idea, I'm up for it! And congrats on the grant.

Lisa said...

WootWoot!!! Congrats on getting the grant!

Interesting info you had today, too. Thanks for sharing it. Reading about your day in the garden makes me almostwant to get outside and work again today. It's rather dreary here today but a good day for painting and playing.

Rowan said...

I'd forgotten it's the dark of the moon - I've been really unsettled too for the last couple of days, can't seem to stick at anything for long and that would explain it. Hopefully things will improve as the moon starts to wax. I like the idea of the ghost stories at Samhain though mine will only take up a couple of lines! I'll look forward to reading everyone elses stories though. Also I thought the pictures were beautiful especially the cottage with the madonna lilies and the seated lady. Where did you find them? Or is that a secret?

Rowan said...

Oh I forgot to say congratulations on getting the grant for your local history project - it's such a worthwhile thing to do as well, getting all those memories down in print before they disappear forever.

Carole Burant said...

Congratulations on getting the grant...I don't do well speaking in front of a crowd!! lol Sounds like it was a lovely day to clean out your garden...I must do that soon too! I also love the idea you have about a Halloween post...count me in:-) Hugs xox

gma said...

OOOOOOOO Halloween stories.....
Sounds fun.

Dot said...

Hi Daisy
Congratulations on getting the grant for your local history project! You did very well to get up and speak about it.

And, thanks for the information about the autumn equinox. I think it may have been having an unsettling effect over here in Australia too. I had 2 days this week when it was sooooo windy, I lost my creative mojo. And, just felt icky and unsettled.
Am glad those feelings have passed.
Glad you had time out in your garden. Nothing like the sun on your skin and face is there?

Anonymous said...

I love the idea of the Halloween tales on our blogs. Congrats on getting the grant.

J C said...

Oh Daisy, your home and your village sound so wonderful. I want to BE there!!! I love coming to your blog. It's like a little bit of heaven. It isn't too nice here. It's 88, but at least the humidity has gone down....about one point!!! When should we post our ghost story? I know one. I saw a real one once...or at least I was sure scared enough!

Tinker said...

Ooo, spooky stories!! Sounds delightfully frightening for Halloween!

Now on a completely different note - congratulations! To have stood up there in front of strangers to plead your cause when it's so nervewracking - then actually winning them over - you be so proud of yourself, Daisy! Pat yourself on the back for a job well done!

Tinker said...

Yep - your theory on being scattered must be true - I just read my comment, after posting it, and I'm having difficulty putting 2 words together, like "you SHOULD be proud" - rather than "you be proud."
Sheesh. When does this get better? Later tonight? or tomorrow?

Pam Aries said...

Terri..I just read your 2 comments and I am giggling so much... If you only knew. Here in Charleston there is a dialect that fit perfectly with "you be so proud" I read it and didn't think a thing of it til your 2nd post.. Then I started laughing cause I've lived here so long that 1st post sounded so natural to me, !!!! I'm sorry, you have to know whaT I am talking about to understand... Geee! I will explain further on my blog... Sorry ,Daisy ..to go down another path here! I wanted to congratulate you on your "speach" and to say the Halloween idea 'enchanting'!!!

zuzu said...

Oh! My goodness ...
For this All Saints' Eve Such fun is planned by Miss Daisy =^..^=

I can hardly wait!

I know of just the story to tell ... One that has circled our family for many years & gives chills to those of us that believe.

Now will I be brave enough to repeat it for all to read? Or perhaps I will tell the secret of my cottage? We shall see. Myself? --I certainly will be haunting the blogs, keeping a good look for the fun to begin.

=^..^= zU

ps. How amazing of you to tell me of sweet Pixie. I will write to you & share a wonderful story that I just learned of today.

Rosa said...

Well thank you very much for figuring out why so many are feeling a bit ill! I will have to write my Halloween story before I forget! Please remind us!! How fun!! I hate days when the black cow flies over head. It's even worse when he loligags there for a while! Glad you took time to write you post. You always write so well and so elequently, it's always a joy to visit and sit a bit. Hey, congrats on your grant! Woooohoooo!! and a high five!

Shelley said...

I like your haunting idea. I have a freind who just spend a couple of nights at a "haunted" hotel. I might have to try to get her to play along.

Congratulations on the grant. You did well!

Have a nice weekend.

Miss Robyn said...

congratulations on getting the grant, miss*Daisy! well done you!
we don't celebrate Halloween in Australia - however, I am sure I can come up with a tale or two.
I knew there had to be a reason why I was feeling so D-mented!

Lila Rostenberg said...

I'm more of a visual artist than a writer, so I can only pass on information about a new murder mystery which I have deceded I must have.....the Journal of Amy Zoe Mason....done as an altered book. Visit my blog for more details...I have to run to work now!

Beth said...

Ok,,so that explains why I have had some big mood swings this past week,,and why Daniel and I have been snippidity with each other.
I have to do some garden cleaning too,,just haven't got around to it. I finished my Friendship quilt piece for Lisa and posted in my blog,,come take a look darling Daisy!!