Tuesday, September 05, 2006


I am now working fully in Autumn mode, I started it this Sunday, which was a rainy. This is how I like to spend my cold weather Sundays. My husband gets up bright and early as usual, and I snuggle back under the quilt for a lie-in. I then get up and open the bathroom window wide and run a hot bath. I enjoy this leisurely bath fragranced with my favourite oils, the water beautifull warm, yet lovely cold air coming through the window. After my bath I go downstairs where my husband has cereal and coffee waiting for me. Whilst I eat my cereal there is a piece of bread toasting in the toaster which I enjoy buttered and with cherry conserve, because it is a Sunday, then I partake of another cup of coffee. Whilst I am eating my breakfast, I have my secret indulgence which is listening to the omnibus edition on BBC radio of The Archers.

This is a radio soap an everyday story of country folk set in a mythical village in England called Ambridge. Archer is the name of the main families in the village. It is on the radio everyday for fifteen minutes but I like to listen to the omnibus on a Sunday. I have been a fan of The Archers for thirty two years. I think some people might think it is a bit of a cult thing, but I am a firm longtime fan, there are characters I love and characters I hate, but it is fimrly established as part of my Sundays. I don't know if any of you have heard of this programme or not. After the Archers my Sunday is just what I want it to be on that particular day. No firm plans is part of the fun.


Yesterday there was a lovely sunny warm hour or two at mid-day, so I took my lunch, coffe, and book into the garden for a pleasant hour's reading. Then I got to work tiding up some of the plants, pulled up all my sunflowers, to hang up their heads to dry, collected some minature sweetpea seeds, and emptied a couple more troughs ready to plant bulbs. This put me in mind to post some more gardening photographs, off the last film I had developed. The photo above top right, is the last of my wonderful deep pink stargazer lilies. The photograph above is of the side wall leading to the alleyway up the side of the barn, plants in this bed, are my lavender bush, cotoneaster, ivy, broom and other shrubs, it's my deep green corner, most of the year.


The above photograph shows my beautiful purple phlox that came from Germany, I bought them at a continental market that was in my local town, there was a nurseryman there from Germany who had many beautiful plants at really reasonable prices. These phlox are in their third summer and have really flourished, they are slightly larger than my English phlox. You can also see the start of my sweetpeas climbing up the wall.


This is one of the sunflowers of this summer, I thought at one point they were not going to do anything, they were a different variety to the ones I usually grow, they certainly did not grow as high as last year's but I have to say their heads were very large. Even so, it's back to my old common or garden variety next year.


The final gardening photograph, sorry about the light quality on this one, shows the selection of pots lining both sides of my alley way that leads up the side of the barn and the house next door to my house. At the very height of summer, this was just full of beautiful colour. Lots of petunias, lilies, lobelia between pots of herbs and succulents

.
In amongst my cutting out of numerous Daisy Faes, fabric animals and making felt brooches, I have been sewing these little squares, which I enjoy doing as relaxation. I try to make them look slightly rough and frayed around the edges to add to a shabby sort of quality. I thought I would post two here to show you them, and then I have got one in mind to send to somebody.

I having been having some serious thoughts, after talking with a friend about opening some sort of web store to sell my handmade items. I used to sell years ago at craft fayre type events, but you have the problems and expense of travelling to and from them and then paying for your table. It might be easier to sell on the net, I know about ebay stores and have been registered with etsy in case I want to purchase anything, but I am seriously considering opening an etsy shop. Has anyone any knowledge about selling on these and has anybody any preferences for either ebay or etsy? Let me know because if I decide to do this I need to activate the idea pretty swiftly to sell things for Christmas.


I don't think my uploads of these little squares, show them very well, I just stuck them in the scanner, the actual squares that is, and scanned them straight into the computer. They seem to look a bit rumpled, which they don't in real life, but at least you get the idea of them.
Well it has actually taken me twenty four hours to get this blog posted, as my mouse died a sudden death yesterday, and I had to travel to my nearest town this morning to buy a new one. Also bought a new mousemat and just as an experiment put it down and tried my old mouse before installing my new one. Guess what? the old mouse came back to life, so it can't have liked the mousemat, well I now have a spare mouse for the future.


15 comments:

Gina E. said...

LOL Daisy, on reading that your mouse had died, I thought, oh, the poor little thing...then reading on, I realised it was your computer mouse!!!! Duh.
Your photos are gorgeous as usual; the photos of our back yard are so dull in comparison! But our soil would never sustain an English-style cottage garden, so we have to stick to native Aust. flora, which in time is just as beautiful in its own way.
I'm sure there are others who read your blog and know more than I do about selling craft items on the internet, but my own limited experience is that crafts don't do particularly well on eBay, as most people are looking for a bargain there, rather than homemade crafts which tend to be on the expensive side for obvious reasons. I have had a peek at Etsy, which appears to cater specifically for arts and crafts, so my suggestion would be to sell your work through that avenue.

natural attrill said...

Hello again, another Archers fan! I dont listen regularly, but drop in from time to time during the week. I work all day here in my studio as an illustrator and so when I am painting it's good to listen to. I started as a kid, had to be in bed with the lights out, but could listen to the Archers at 6.45 before going to sleep. I am 48 so have been listening for years! Penny.

Sigruns German Garden said...

Oh my, first I have to look, what Archer means in German. Now I know it.
Than I red your story. In your television you have this garden-soaps with Monty Don and the others. I like them very much, also the BBC-Garden Magazin. Do you know it?

Sigrun

vicci said...

Oh Daisy...You are so my kinda gal! I love your Sunday ritual! I'm not in the Fall mode yet...it is still very hot here in California...99 degrees yesterday! I'm still in the pool mode! Thank-you for coming by the blog...the "personal graves" are beautiful...don't you think! Hugs...

dogfaeriex5 said...

well, what a sweet little fabruc angel, you are very talented..love it..thank-you for sharing!

Lisa Oceandreamer Swifka said...

I had to laugh as I too thought perhaps you'd lost a pet, only to realize it was the computer mouse. your garden is just so lovely....how I need a knowing hand to turn our nothing in to something. What a lovely way to spend a Sunday. I,too, have been thinking of putting some art up for sale online but have done no research thus far as to the best avenue. of course I go to "would anyone really want to buy what I make?" Bad Lisa.
love your sewing!
Kisses from Miss Daisy Cat to her Aunt Daisy. :)

Miss Robyn said...

I know a few sellers on etsy - I think that would be the way to go. I think you should do it - 'nothing ventured, nothing gained' as the old saying goes. Plus then I can put you on my Tuesday market thingie.
Love your little squares ! I am doing a few too.
enjoy your autumn time - ooh how I wish you & I lived next door to each other - what adventures we would have!

Lisa said...

I, too, love your Sunday ritual. I have an etsy shop and I have tried ebay. I, personally, like etsy better for the handmade things (which is all they allow other than some supplies and vintage things). Etsy is 10cents per listing (times the item...5 of the same item in stock=50cents) Oh dear, I don't know the English equivalent, sorry. They take 1.5% of your profit when you sell something and that's it. Very fair I think. Each 10c listing lasts for 6 months. Ebay is much more expensive...like 2 or more dollars per item even if you don't sell and the listing is there only a couple of weeks, if that long. The etsy community is very supportive also. It's really a nice place to sell things (or NOT sell things, as in my case. lol)
I hope I've helped and not confused the issue further. :)

gma said...

..Daisy enjoyed your garden and your quilt squares. You are really busy doing so much...I love reading your blog.

tlchang said...

What a lovely Sunday ritual. I felt all rejuvinated just reading it. :-) The garden pictures were fun to see as well. It always interests me what grows in different parts of the world. Cottage gardens are amongst my favorites.

Pam Aries said...

Hi Daisy! your garden is lovely! Mine died out from the heat a while back:( ...When it it gets cooler I will have some fallish flowers ! can't wait for that!!

Boxwood Cottage said...

Hi Daisy,

I enjoyed looking at your garden photos again. What kind of sweet peas do you grow? Is it true that you still photograph with films? Do you never use a digicam? It's so much easier, better quality and just more fun! At least for me that is!

I've never heard about the Archers even not when I was in England, but well I have notlistened to the readio there so I couldn't, but sounds like an interesting program!

Hey why not opening an Etsy shop? Could be fun!

Warmer weather is supposed to come back to Germany tomorrow, I hope to you too! Have a beautiful weekend!xox

Helen said...

It's amazing that the Archers is still going. I can remember listening to them years ago before emigrating to Australia at the age of 13 back in 1969.I picked up an Archers Official companion book from a recent secondhand book fair and apparently it began in 1951.I was born and bred in Tunbridge Wells in Kent.Still miss Coronation Street too but it CAN be seen here on pay tv.
I too thought you meant your poor little pet mouse had died.

natural attrill said...

Hi Daisy, you asked me about the archers characters, well I used to really like Walter Gabriel, brilliant voice I thought. Now, I like Nigel Pargeter, though cant help remembering him in crossroads!
Julia was a good character too. I like Jo Grundy, and Linda Snell is brilliant, I hate her! I suppose, as in real life, I tend to be attracted to eccentric characters, not the more 'normal' like Gill, David, Ruth, etc.
Penny.

Gretel said...

I could not survive without the Archers...and my enjoyable loathing of Emmur.
I should give Etsy a go, it's very popular, (and nothing ventured nothing gained) they are lovely squares, and would make nice individual birthday cards, which, being handcrafted, would double as a gift. I'm going to buy some things from Etsy this Christmas, as an alternative to trogging round the shops.