Friday, September 08, 2006


I have just been so busy these past two days, I had to prepare for my Local History Group meeting last night, loads of art and craftwork to do and a mountain of housework seems to have accumulated, so much in fact, that I just couldn't ignore it any longer and had to grit my teeth and get down to it. At the moment there are not enough hours in the day, well there are if I never slept, ate or had any relaxation. I don't mind the cooking, we both just help ourselves to breakfast cereal, we just have a lunch time snack such as salad and quiche or sandwiches, so there is only the evening meal that is true cooking. Occasionally my husband even cooks it, though I do like cooking the evening meal. Its the boring old housework that I wastes my time. Something, I thought, has got to be done about it. I pondered and I thought, then just as I was falling asleep last night with the beautiful ripe full moon's rays shining on my face and pillow, inspiration arrived. Here below is the answer to my problem.



ONE RELIABLE HOUSE FAIRY WANTED

To scatter magic dust overnight
To keep country cottage clean

Will be well treated and fed honeyed milk and sugared violets
Lovely small garden to choose her flower dresses in and lots of garden fairies to be friends with


Allowed to be carefree all day just required to sort the housework problems out through the night so owner can have more time with her arts and crafts

A bijou residence is available in garden and employer will be happy to help you furnish it

Please apply here to daisy lupin


If anyone has a house fairy you don't need or know of one looking for a new job, please tell them about me.

Life can be so strange sometimes, you remember when I was talking about my love of hares and asking if anyone knew anything interesting about them? When I was in my local town on Tuesday, I dropped into the library and browsing the just returned and new shelves, staring me in the face was this book The Leaping Hare by George Ewart Evans & David Thomson, the blurb says it is a reissue of a rare and remarkable book from 1972 about every aspect of life and legend of the wild hare, much of it from oral testimony, from nature to folklore, poetry and art. I am the first person to take the book out. I think there is something amazing at that book suddenly being there.


It was my Local History Group last night and we had a very good meeting, I have got the group focused on publishing locally a pamphlet about the village in the last century. The older members, and the parents of members have interesting memories of past events which I feel should not be lost. I told everyone to come back next month with either written or bullet point form, memories, which I will edit and then we can sort out some photographs to match.

I was given some wonderful copies of photographs of how our village used to look, which I have scanned into the computer. If you remmber a good few posts back I uploaded a photograph of the long house, well above is photograph of it in 1905 when it still had a thatched roof. At one point it was used as the local R.C. church, before reverting to a dwelling place again.


This is a row of cottages down at the bottom of the hill beside the river that are still there today. The did used to flood and looking closely at the photograph I tried to make out if that was a large pool of water in the road beside the swans. it is hard to make out, if it was it could have been taken after a flood, perhaps the swans had been swimming there.


This photograph judging by the little girls' outfits is late Edwardian. The building on the left is the Co-op shop and the one one the right is the pub called at that point The Co-operative There is still a pub on this spot, but different in style, I am trying to work out, I think that a new frontage of one storey may just have been added to the pub, with the original two floor building incorporated behind it. Inbetween the two buildings you can see the mill chimney towering into the sky. The mill is now a series of small business units, the cottages are still lived in and if you remember, I posted photographs of the mill allotments [ gardens that were rented out to mill workers but now to villagers to grow vegetables in]. I have wanted one of these allotments but they are all in use at the moment, and now I have heard some bad news, they not be there much longer as planning permission is being asked to make a larger carpark for the mill. I find it very sad how even rurally now carparks are becoming essential, items everyhwere. Too much tacmac in the country spoils it and tacmac is encroaching upon the green and pleasant land faster and faster. I have not found out yet if anyone,such as the allotment holders, are objecting, and will tell you when I find out.


Sandy, of Vintage Collage and Quilts made this lovely collage and sent it to me. Everything that is on the collage has come from the photographs I have uploaded onto my blog. Even the floral images are the photos I had of the clematis, the people are all my past relations, such as my great- grandmother and my grandmother and grandfather's wedding photo. There is even a little soul fairy Pixie flying about. I just love it and am looking for a lovely vintage frame for it so I can hang it in my bedroom where it will fit in wonderfully with the colur scheme and ambience.


19 comments:

dogfaeriex5 said...

very nice, it sounds like a lovely group that is intent on preserving history and i love that...thank-you for your kind comments, i am having fun gathering and crafting for your chocolate swap!! take care~k
xox

Beth said...

How neat that is to learn so much about your wonderful village! I LOVE that collage that your friend sent you,,isn't that so nice to get such a great present!!! I am trying so hard to feel better as I am going to start working on my block. I bought some material that is made to work on ink jet printers this week,,going to try it and see how it works.
I miss You Daisy!

Rowan said...

What a wonderfully interesting post, I love the old photographs of your village. Local history is so fascinating, I think I must try and find a local history group near me. Have you had any aplicants for the vacant position yet? If you do find a suitable candidate please ask if she has any friends requiring similar work! I love the fairy illustration at the beginning, were did it come from?

Heather said...

Love your advertisement for House Fairy! I adore the idea of the existence of fairies!

Pam Aries said...

It seems to me that you are practically living in a Faerie Village anyway, so it ought to be quite easy to find that magic house cleaning Faerie!!!!! You are so lucky to be in such an incredible place! how enchanting!

Tinker said...

What a lovely collage and what a thoughtful friend!
I love seeing the photos (old and new) of your village; what a rich history you have there. I hope they don't pave over all of your beautiful countryside, and that you can get your allotment (I'm not sure, but I'm thinking this is similar to our community garden plots??)
As for the house fairy - I've had a help wanted sign posted for eons, and haven't had a prospect yet. But if I do, I'll be sure to ask if they have any friends in the U.K. they'd recommend to you! (Of course, if you should get any applicants first, please ask if they have any friends or relations over on this side of the pond). I wouldn't mind a little help from a gardening gnome, either.
:-)

Miss Robyn said...

dear daisy lupin - can someone who believes in faeries apply for this position? ooh, how I would love to come frolic in your garden.

I love historical groups and I have enjoyed your photos and information - I would love to see if for real! xox

Naturegirl said...

Daisy housework can get overwhelming
so I hope your fairy appears and gets all in order.Your historical club sounds very interesting! I loved the photo with the swans.. can you imagine...
looking outside your front door and seeing this!What a sweet gal that Sandy in making this special collage for you!It amazes me how generous and giving this blogging community of women are.Strangers when we began and now we feel connections through words and photos we post!

J C said...

Nice collage your friend sent you. Isn't it wonderful to have thoughtful friends? Your post about the history of your village kept me reading and reading. What is it about old pictures and times past that we all love?

vicci said...

Daisy....Awesome post.....oh! and could you please send that fairy my way when you are finished!

Lisa Oceandreamer Swifka said...

The collage is amazing and that the time was taken to make it so personal...beyond words! so lovely.
As for the fairy ad....I've been looking for just such a fairy myself but I don't think they take kindly to the lack of garden here. The ads were placed years ago and so far the only response was a hedgehog fairy...and all he wanted was to create mischief. I think where you are you will have much better luck, in fact you just may have to weed through the MANY applicants. :) Let us know the outcome!
xoxo

Tea said...

Oh! I need one of those fairies too. I love seeing your village pictures and look forward to more. Your blog grabbed me the first time I discovered it because it was when you were posting your village and garden. Pretty collage!

tea
xo

Rosa said...

If you get a fairy, please pass on her name--that is, if she is willing to travel to the states! Love the old pics!!

Lisa said...

I could use a fairy right now for all the same reasons. :)

This is such an interesting post. Love all the old photos. Someone in my town has undertaken a large project of gathering pictures and explaining how different areas changed over the years. It's so magical to drive around imagining how things used to be. How I wish we still had street cars!

I really enjoyed this post!

Gina E. said...

Ditto to all the above comments, Daisy! I am so pleased for you that your village history group has taken off so well. What a shame that allotment land may be turned into carparking area. It happens all over the world I guess; one day in the distant future, people will be cursing our generation for all this bitumen and concrete..

Carole Burant said...

I want one of them faeries!! lol Like you, I find housework is such a boring task and takes up so much of my precious time...good thing I don't have any kids at home, the house stays pretty clean on its own! lol I would love to be able to be part of a History Group...I love listening to older people tell their memories of certain places. Fascinating stuff!! Hugs xoxo

Rowan said...

Of course - I should have recognized Margaret Tarrant's work, she illustrated the Little Grey Rabbit books didn't she? I have books of hers that I bought for my daughter when she was little too.

Annie Jeffries said...

Daisy, love your little job announcement. Would that I were a fairy. I would be flying to your side in an instant.

City Slicker said...

Will fairies ever travel to London?