Thursday, September 14, 2006


This is a postcard I have made for Robyn's Chocolate Swap that I am participating in,I'm not going to show anything else that is going in the parcel I am making but I wanted to show you this. I love the idea of the little girl sitting primly in the hope of being rewarded with chocolate. Having made this card, it is postcard size, I have now had some ideas for a series of them, the images are buzzing about in my head, better get back to my work table. One other thing I have to say about the swap, is that the chocolate bar part of the swap I bought first, when I was doing my shopping. I'm afraid I have had to go out and buy another one, for days I resisted temptation but after my Autumn cleaning spree, guess what? I just had to have chocolate and ate it!

I am back on the Daisy Fae project today, and I can't help but laugh, standing at the back of my work table are a little line of stuffed pairs of legs, they look really surreal, a sort of chorus line without top halves. They make me giggle every time I look up and see them. It is very dark and has been pouring down with rain all day but I am happy and busy. I have nominated this week Van Morrison week, as it's his music I am working to at the moment. I love to be upstairs at my table and happily trying to scat sing behind his vocals. Good job we have thick sandstone walls!



I haven't told a local tale for a while, so this is a tale about something that happened to me when I first moved into the cottage. My memory was jogged by a recent posting of Ms*Robyn's, so I thought I would share it with you. All I will say before I start is this really happened, as far as I am concerned, you must make of it what you will.

When we moved into this cottage it had been empty for a while. We finished taking up residence late on a February evening. We were very tired and the cottage felt very cold so we concentrated on making our main living room really warm and just slept downstairs in there. The next day was spent trying to make some semblance of order and by late afternoon, the cottage was livable and all warm and snug. That evening I was to be by myself at the cottage until the next morning, for various reasons. Having had an exhausting day I had a lovely leisurely bath and retired to bed. I fell deep asleep and awoke to feeling the bedclothes lifting and my husband, at least that is who I thought it was, getting into bed, I just thought he had returned early. I suddenly realised becoming awake properly that it wasn't, the room was pitch black, I couldn't see anything but felt the covers moving. My heart beating rapidly I said out loud 'No, this is not your cottage anymore, please don't bother me, I love this cottage and will take great care of it but please go away.' I put the lamp on and the room was empty. I went back to sleep, the lamp still on.


After living here for a few years I discovered a few things. Our cottage is one of a row of six, cottages of all shapes and sizes, although three are connected then we, being the fourth, have a long narrow gap on one side and are joined to the other side, which is a mirror image of our cottage, then a tiny cottage on the end. One of the cottages seems to have been an inn possibly a coaching inn at some time. This cottage has a night time visitor to the bed in one room and footsteps are constantly heard walking the long corridor upstairs and stopping outside one of the rooms. The owner is not bothered by all this, her partner is, he will not stay in the cottage overnight by himself. Next door but one occupants, have been known to hear a latch being lifted on the door and footsteps tramping up and down the stairs and out again, when nothing is there. There is an old stable building, partly derelict outside these two cottages, where it is said that horses were stabled to change teams on the coaches that went past, we live on what was an old toll road. A neighbour has heard horses neighing in this tumbling down stable.

I am not making any assumptions about what I have told above. I was told them by very reliable people, I have had that experience when a newcomer to my cottage, and they are all old houses. Perhaps, more will eventually turn up when more local history research has been done.

The book, that I am still reading, is The Time Traveller's Wife, I am really enjoying it. I don't know if any one of you have read it yet, but the thought has occurred to me that if when he travels backwards and forwards in time, he meets himself, and he does and is very friendly with himself, surely if there are no bad effects from that then he could possibly meet more than one of himself, in fact he could meet himself ad infinitum? Don't blind me with physics, but do you see what I am getting at? Perhaps, I am thinking too hard.


13 comments:

Miss Robyn said...

haven't read all of your post but just had to tell you that I was a piggy wiggy too & I ate all my first batch of chocolate - so now mine is all TAPED up ready to go. love your collage xoxoox

Lisa said...

Thinking about time travel hurts my brain but it is fascinating. That's a really interesting story. I had a weird thing happen last night and I forgot to blog about it. You jogged my memory.

I absolutely love your collage. She is very prim and proper. I'm sure she'll get her chocolate. :)

Lisa Oceandreamer Swifka said...

what a lovely postcard for the chocolate swap...I bought a wee extra just so I wouldn't disturb the boxes contents I am sending(at least that's my story - lol!).
I believe the stories whole heartedly of spirits still residing from time to time.
As for the book, you can't imagine how long I've had it and yet haven't read it yet. I will...it's part of a stack to still be read.
xoxo

gma said...

Love to read....love chocolate...I have been putting off going for chocolate until I have the other goodies (which BTW Love your postcard)...we have Cerreta's Chocolate Factory in my town...mmmm
The squeaky steps and latches sound friendly enough. What do you think?

Miss Robyn said...

oh love the 'story' ~ I am sure every single bit of it is true.
your daisy faye legs make me laugh - my creative mess room looks like a limb factory sometimes.
even funnier is if I paint my dollies and hang them out to dry.
oh and what was that othe book called about night gardening or midnight gardening>? I want to get it to take away with me.
xoxooxoxooxoxox

natural attrill said...

I like the way you combined different styles of art in your postcard.
Penny.

dogfaeriex5 said...

that is why i havent bought any chocolate for you yet as i am buying my favorite for you at the last possible second ... i love the postcard, but i cannot wait patiently for anything..i am very impulsive..i so hope you love your choclate inspried things, i am going to post them but they will all be wrapped up so as not to spoil the secret....
xox~k

Heather said...

I've read that book. Excellent and hurt my brain to examine the idea of time travel. Fascinating!

Anonymous said...

I absolutly love your stories of your cottage. And I do believe. Ty(my grandson who died when he was 4) slept with me many nights on this earth. Boy I would try to get him not to but he would come to the bed in the middle of the night if I didn't let him start out in bed with me. Every so often I still fell someone get in the bed with me in the middle of the night. I firmly believe he comes back to sleep with me at times. And that is fine with me, because oh how I wish I could go back and not miss a single night of his 4 years sleeping with him tucked all safe between me and dh.

Beth said...

MMm,,,chocolate!! Yummy! lol,,I would have to be buying more too,,
How interesting about your visitor. And I believe it! Its so pretty here today,,and its friday! I came home a little early and Mom is going to come spend the night,,so life is good!! Have a Lovely week-end Darling Daisy!!

Tinker said...

I do believe you, dear Daisy - I've had more than enough odd things happen in my life! Good for you staking your claim on your cottage - I hope they've since decided to move on...it's rather sad thinking of someone stuck, repeating their former lives (or deaths) over and over.
I bought the Time Traveler earlier this year - and have lost it! Maybe it's traveling through time to the time period when I have Time to Read again! lol - I hope that's soon, because I really would love to lose myself in a good book again.
Meanwhile, I need to follow your lead and take a few days to clean house - which is no small task here - this summer has left the house a mess. I really wish it would have cleaned up after itself :)

Carole Burant said...

Love the postcard you made!! I had to giggle when you admitted to having eaten the chocolate....that's something I would have done too, I LOVE chocolate! Can just imagine how funny your Daisie Faes look with just their legs hanging! hehe Loved the story of your experience with one of these "visitors"...I believe in all that but I often wonder how I would react if it happened to me!! Hugs xox

Rosa said...

Oh how fun. You have to post some pics of your very special cottage. How lovely. I think I would have been terrified that first night. I love hearing stories like yours. Our stuff (here in the states) are so new! Not a whole lot of history in most places.