Wednesday, September 20, 2006


I am writing a post today about a place very close to my heart, a place I call my soul's home and that place is Cornwall. We first went to Cornwall fifteen years ago. We wanted a family seaside holiday, with good weather, so we knew we were heading down to the south of England. We decided on Cornwall, somewhere I had always felt I wanted to go. From where we live it is a long journey, we went on the train, a journey of nine hours and getting on for 400miles, from one end of England to the other. The magic started as soon as the train crossed over Brunel's magnificent work of engineering, the bridge over the Tamar river. As soon as the train was on Cornish land, the enchantment fell on to me, I felt as though I was coming home. I had never felt like that before, when visiting a new place. Sitting typing this up now, I can feel tears in my eyes thinking about that feeling of 'coming home'. Every year since then we have tried to visit Cornwall at least once a year, some years we have managed a lucky two times. If we ever have the chance and the wherewithal, that is where we are heading to live. It is both our deepest dream.




That first holiday we went to Penzance, the end of the line for the railways in England, after three years holidaying in Penzance as the house we rented was no longer available, we started going to Falmouth, staying in different apartments and houses. Now in these later years we have returned, without the family to Penzance. We love both places dearly, but there is just something a little extra about Penzance that both my husband and I feel,something that can't be expressed in words, just a felling about the place.

The first two photographs are of St Michael's Mount, the Cornish twin of Mont St Michel in France. When the train turns towards the sea as you approach Penzance, I can't express the feeling that wells up as St Michael's Mount comes into view, it is like an island out of time and from fantasy, and when you do this journey, as we have, when the sun is just rising it is just awe inspiring.


The above photograph it taken from the front of Penzance looking back at the town, the church tower that soars above the buildings is the Abbey, and it dominates the skyline of the town.


This is a photograph of our favourite pub in Penzance, 'The Turks Head'. It is a very old building, some of it dating from the 16th century. It has very low ceilings and to get out into the lovely planted courtyard behind it, you go down this very old narrow low ceilinged corridor. The cellar of the building is a restaurant, although you can eat in the actual pub, which is very dark, wooden and quaint or in the couryard. The food there is supberb. You can just imagine smugglers doing business there. I think part of it was attacked when the Spaniards invaded in tudor times. It is set in one of the crooked narrow streets that lead off the main street of Penzance.


Here is another view of the Abbey. It is situated, also in a maze of little streets. That is one of the things I love about Penzance the narrow streets with very old houses and shops, dating from the 1600's onwards and then the regency part of Penzance near the sea front.


This is one of the squares, where the houses, date from regency times, and a lot of them are painted gay pastel colours. Behind these squares are the impressive Morrab Gardens, and the houses on one side of these are larger versions of these small regency houses.


Whenever we visit Penzance, we always have a couple of trips by train to St Ives, the above photograph is an overhead view of St Ives as you leave the station. I love St Ives, the only thing is that in summer it is very crowded, the streets are very narrow, yet traffic is allowed through these narrow streets, causing congestion, as obviously the streets were not built to take the volume of today's traffic.


This is representative of some of the side streets of St Ives, they are beautiful in summer, lots of people have hanging baskets and pots full of geraniums outside their doors, which makes it very colourful. St Ives is full of craft shops and galleries, not all in the main streets some tucked away in small side streets and alleys. The nearer to the sea you go the more tight, twisted and narrow the streets become. All to the benefit of old time smugglers, sneaking through the night to collect lace for the ladies and brandy for the gentlemen. Our favourite pub is at the harbour, 'The Sloop', it is another old quaint place. Three beautiful beaches surround St Ives and there is no where better when the sun is shining and the sea is sparkling than lying on those beaches. On the other hand it is also impressive watching the storm clouds approach and the sea changing from a sparkling blue to a stormy grey.


To me, there is nowhere like Cornwall, and especially nowhere quite like Penzance. It is a unique place, the quality of light is sensational and there is just something in the air there, its not just the ozone, it's a sort of magical quality, a place where anything could happen and you would not be surprised. In parts there is a quiet shabbiness to it that is endearing, and the ambience is very comfortable, a place where you just don't seem to have to hurry about anything, yet at the same time and inspiring, buzzing place. The main street is called Market Jew Street, and that is the main thoroughfare for traffic, at the top of that is what is called Causeway Head a paved long road of interesting shops, old book shops, craft shops, witchy shops and interesting food shops. Cutting away from here is Bread Street, that is still being rennovated and is the home of art galleries and craft shops. We stayed in a lovely small house just off Bread Street, in a private Square with cobbles, and trees growing in the middle, a square that looked more French than Cornish. Well I leave you with one last photograph of the the sun's rays shining on the Abbey.


21 comments:

Lisa Oceandreamer Swifka said...

OH DEAR,your post just makes my ache to visit England even stronger(if that's possible)!! While I was reading your post I thought of "As I was going to St. Ives,
I met a man with seven wives.
Each wife had seven sacks,
Each sack had seven cats,
Each cat had seven kits.
Kits, cats, sacks, and wives,
How many were going to St. Ives"...and I also of course thought of Pirates of Penzance.
Thank you for sharing the fabulous photos and that wonderful guided tour.
XOXO

Miss Robyn said...

well, you know my feelings on Cornwall - I have never visited but the word touches my soul for some reason. It is like an ache. I cannot describe it. thankyou for posting these pictures xoxo

natural attrill said...

How lovely, makes me want to see the sea again. Penny.

Beth said...

Oh,,,I want to visit Cornwell so much now. You made me feel like I was actually there for awhile. What a wonderful way you have with words Dear Daisy. Thank you so much for sharing such a beautiful place with us,,I can understand how special it is to you!!

Lisa said...

I used to read a blog by a woman who had just moved to Cornwall. hmmm I'll have to look that one up again.

I so enjoyed the pictures and your tour. I didn't want it to end. I would love to visit there some day. My son plans to study in England in a few years; perhaps I'll get to then. :)

gma said...

Lovely Daisy. It's wonderful to have a place to go to let your heart soar.....perhaps past life memories there?
Sedona Az. is my power place. Ahhh
Japa meditation is chanting the name of whatever God you believe in. Raaaaa....Braaaaaahman...
Khrishnaaaaaaaa.....GAhhhhhhhhd
or just Ahhhhhhh it's a sound that resonates with Universe like Ommmmm.

KaiBlue said...

Being born in Cornwall, I feel blessed. Probably the reason for my **OCean fetish!! lol.. Thankyou for the glorious post of my home Daisy.. A little cottage on a hill overlooking peranporth or Looe would do me fine. :) Then you could visit :)
Peace , Kai.

Rosa said...

I can see why you fell in love. It is just as quaint as can be. It look so lovely and inviting. The water is beautiful. I know how you feel, I'm aching to get near some water too. I miss the Chesapeake Bay in Maryland and Virginia. We are fortunate to the the Gulf of Mexico only 6 hours away, but it's six hours away!!! It seems like a lifetime getting there but always worth it once we arrive! Thanks for the photos. It's always a joy to see other parts of the world.

Pam Aries said...

How wonderful ! I believe that each of us is drawn to a special AREA ... where ever that might be! Cornwall.. Sedona... Rome...Paris! Consider yourself quite luckY to have gone to your special PLACE!!!

Tea said...

It truly shows that you love Cornwall by your post and all these lovely pictures. I just love the street you have of St. Ives! So beautiful.

tea
xo

Carole Burant said...

Cornwall sounds like an absolutely delightful place and it's no wonder you love going there and want to eventually move there! I always think that when you have such an affinity with a place like that, one of your past lives must have lived there!! Love the pictures! Hugs xox

Tinker said...

It looks (and sounds) lovely, Daisy! No wonder you're so drawn to it - but I wonder if you might have once lived there...
I hope you can live there this lifetime!

Sue Seibert said...

Thanks so much for the photos. Kai's blog led me here. I would love to see Cornwall!

Janet said...

I am always drawn to books about Cornwall so it was wonderful to see this post. Your descriptions and photos are just right and give me a real taste of what it must be like. Thank you for taking me through the streets and shops of this beautiful part of your world.

Rowan said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Rowan said...

Your description of Penzance with all its bookshops, craft shops and art galleries makes it sound a really attractive place. The street in St Ives looks so pretty - I've been to both but not for 40 years or more so my memory of them is almost non-existent, it would be nice to see them again. Sussex has the same effect on me as Cornwall does on you, I'd never been until 6 years ago and have no connections whatever to the county yet it feels like coming home every time I go. Last post deleted because too many spelling mistakes!

Lila Rostenberg said...

Love reading your posts!
Recently watched a BBC production of Inspector Lindley...filmed in Cornwall....all about the smugglers...I love being and armchair traveler and plan to make a real visit myself oneday!

vicci said...

Oh I am in love!!!! This place takes my breath away!!!! I am ready to pack my bags and go....and live there forever! Thanks for the beautiful post Daisy!

couragetocreatewriteandlove said...

Beautiful pictures, hoping to have the opportunity of one day seeing all of that. Thanks for blogging about it. I will visit you again.

Annie Jeffries said...

Okay THIS does it. I'm going back and this time I will stay much much longer. Months. YEARS. Lord, what a gorgeous and magical place.

Alice said...

I loved this post because we loved Cornwall, too. I can relate to your feeling of 'coming home' or belonging to a place. I often felt that way during our stay in England - felt like I belonged there. It must have been an ancestral thing (my father migrated from England to Australia in 1929). Most of our time was spent just outside Plymouth so we often travelled over Brunel's bridge of the Tamar. Many times we stopped on the Plymouth side and then walked out along the bridge to take photos.

I loved your photos of Cornwall, especially St Michaels Mount, as it brought back lats of memories. I'm sure you've also wandered around Marazione? So many colourful houses there.