Tuesday, August 29, 2006


First of all I must mention a blog auction that is going on this week at Hidden Haven Homestead run by Peggy, please pop over to her site and see what is going on, perhaps you can donate goods or put in a bid for some items. It is all in aid of family that Peggy knows who are really going through some hard times. Go on over and have a look, she explains it all a lot better than I can.

We have just had our last public holiday until Christmas, so now I have drawn a line under Summer. Unfortunately, the weather has been dreadful over the weekend, but I put not being able to go into the garden to good use and set upon a marathon decluttering and sorting blitz. I have made piles, sub-piles, clipped and saved, made more piles, ripped up and thrown out until I was a totally dizzy Daisy Lupin, spinning from craft table to piles like a whirling dervish. Had to end the night with a lovely large glass of red wine, to recover my energy [hee hee]. I am just so pleased with myself and the amount I have done. Of course, now I have started doing a lot more collage means I have to think extra hard whether to throw things out or not, 'Would they be useful for collage or not, I wonder?' I kept asking myself, but even though I kept a lot of 'maybe useful' I also had a thorough sort. I feel I had to do this because by October I hope to be ensconsed in the spare room. Also I seem to have an eruption of creativity at the moment, like a giant wave swelling within ready to pour out and crash on the beach. I am in a flustered, crazy, estactic mayhem of creating, so better keep on going whilst I am inspired, it might not last. I have also, heard that my order of toy fillings will be arriving within a few days, so then it will be upward and onward with the Daisy family. Daisy Fae, herself will be making her blog debut, hopefully by the end of the week when my films are returned.


These two photographs, above right and above, are how my sweetpeas finally ended up, I was worried as they were very slow to grow, and I thought they were not going to amount to much this year. In the end they managed to have a short but colourful
blooming season. I haven't seen the swallows that live in the village for a few days, I wonder if they have set off for warmer climes? They seem to have left earlier this year, I hope this is not a portent of bad weather in September. Apart from that, I find it strange that I have missed them going, I usually watch them lined up on the telegraph poles, nudging each other and chattering about their journey, some of them getting over excited, probably the first timers,having a quick fly round, before their parents tweet for them to get back into line and behave themselves.

It's been a strange summer really, both weather wise and in plant and animal behaviour, I do think it must be the consequences of global warming. I know most people do their bit to try to help the environment, none of us are perfect, but even sorting out waste is step in the right direction. I, honestly, believe it is the governments of some countries that are being negligent in not taking being green seriously enough, but that is down to the usual offenders, it is big businesses that call the shots, and it is not always in their interests to be green. I digress though, it was the summer I was talking about, all my plants seemed to be blooming on the wrong dates and plants that usually flowered at the same time didn't seem to partner each other this year. I think, should I be taking this in consideration when planning next year's garden or will I just have to accept variations in flowering?



It is officially Autumn now according to my tiny world, so watch out for a brilliant low hung orange harvest moon in a few days, if the sky is clear. I always get a huge energy buzz at this time of year. I think I let things slide in the summer and try to live in the garden as much as possible.

Autumn means, first and foremost, cleaning rooms, organising curtains and cushions, getting the throws back out of the linen chest, lots of scented candles and insence. A pile of new to me books ready to read on the low drawered chest in front of my chair, winter crocheting or needlework to do while watching some dvds I have saved from the summer sales, especially the boxed set of Audrey Hepburn films, that I found in HMV for £12.00. Nights getting dark earlier closing the curtains lighting the lamps and candles and enjoying everything I mentioned in the last sentence. Adding drinking chocolate, back to my shopping list and beginning to buy in ingredients for christmas cakes, puds, etc, making warming soups and casseroles. Finally being frantically but happily busy during the day, designing and making artwork and crafts to sell at Christmas events. That's what Autumn means to me, what does Autumn mean to you?


19 comments:

Lisa Oceandreamer Swifka said...

Daisy, I want to come to your home, in that charming village for the Autumn season. It sounds so warm and cozy and lovely and I bet the smells of cooking are a pure delight to the senses. So if I am not being too pushy, may I join you for a cup of that hot chocolate...maybe you could teach me to crochet(something I never learned to do)or I could bring some hand sewing of my own. :)

Rowan said...

Autumn means much the same to me as it does to you, drawing the curtains, lighting the lamps, good books to read and knitting to do and lots of lovely comfort food to eat. Like you I get a burst of energy at this time of year and for me, as for the ancient Celts, it is the beginning of the year. I've already started clearing out and organizing cupboards and drawers and thoughts of Christmas cake etc have also crossed my mind. It is a wonderful and beautiful time of year.

Carole Burant said...

I love it when I get in the mood to do a complete decluttering in a room...always amazes me the stuff we tend to accumulate!! It's such a good feeling when you have everything organized and have thrown away what was not needed...until the next time you have to declutter! lol Autumn is fast approaching here and it's always been my favourite time of year so I'm really looking forward to it. All my indoor activities start when it's gotten too cold to do much outside...won't be long that I too, will be thinking of Christmas preparations:-) xoxo

Miss Robyn said...

I just want to say thankyou Daisy - I can come here and read your glorious posts and feel so comforted. I just wish you & I lived next door to each other, I am sure we would be firm friends. much love, blessings & bliss - Robyn xo

gma said...

Daisy...we havn't quite underlined Summer here in Az. just yet. 107 degrees today. But I do look forward to Autumn, cooler temps, spicy scents, candles and cozy things.We have alot of Native American customs associated with Autumn here...I'll share those on my blog soon.
:-)Enjoy your day

Naturegirl said...

Daisy you cracked me up with this post as you were going in every direction but everything you said is right on! I did see a harvest moon tonight boo hoo!I really am a summer gal.The thought of fall approaching and the cooler weather has me eating not drinking chocolate it seems every day!I walk around the garden looking at the beauty that soon will be frost bitten....oh what a terrible thought!The summer passed far too soon..oh what shall I be posting when not my flowers!!:(

Everydaythings said...

oh no - autumn?? surely not just yet! I am coming over to the uk soon in a few weeks and was hoping for an indian summer at least!
found your blog...I am from UK originally too, and old home twon was slough. Have saved your blog to faves!

Shelley said...

Sweetpeas remind me of my grandmother. She always had them. They smell wonderful, don't they. I should plant some next year.

I too am looking forward to Autumn. We get our first taste of it next weekend. I think I'll make jam.

Take care, Daisy.

Shelley

Tea said...

I agree with Lisa. Your hme sounds so very very warm and cozy.
I found one sweet pea in my garden that`s only just appeared. Autumn has arrived here too. It`s chilly today.
It makes me also think of cozy though. Time to pay more attention soon to things inside. Pull out the comfort food recipes. Snuggle watching movies in the dark.

tea
xo

Annie Jeffries said...

Your plans for the autumn sound lovely Daisy. I must steal your list. LOL Lots of hugs.

dogfaeriex5 said...

daisy~
the letters i used were bought at a local craft store and are made out of wood. if you cannot locate them, i would be more that happy to get them for you and send them over the pond!
take care~

One Crabapple said...

yes ! will check the Hidden Haven thing out...

SWEETPEAS !
Oh to sit with you and smell them now.

Love this picture of the girl's with the autumn leaves.

Autumn to me ? Apples, Hot Apple Cider, cooler weather , pumpkins and a time to start turning inward again....

Rosa said...

It energizes me too Daisy! It is my favorite time of the year. Last year, I was a little preocupied with trying to help my bipolar friend and spent a lot of time at our local shelter after Katrina helping where I could, so I don't think it was a good year all around. But let's pray, this year is going to be good for everyone. I feel fall is a great time to start anew--I do more fall cleaning than spring cleaning. I like to take a blanket out on my porch and swing until it's too cold and then climb into bed under the kivers and snuggle with the hub. I can't wait!!!

Gretel said...

I think a fall/autumn clean is just what's required in our little den too - your post and everyones comments have reminded me of how much I love autumn, and how refreshing it is, as Rowan says, the Celtic new year. Time for celebrations and dragging the slow cooker out of hibernation!

Pear tree cottage! said...

Daisy.......what a wonderful Autumn season you will have I hope you enjoy it very much.

As you know we look forward now to spring and I look forward to a cool drink under a pear tree in the garden watching the birds dance above me in the branches.

Enjoy the season and all that it brings you.
best wishes Lee-ann

J C said...

Daisy, as usual your post kept me here much too long. I sort of get lost in "wishing" when I visit here. Question: your collage work..do you do some of the artwork yourself and then cut it out and paste it on? It looks that way to me, and I love it. That is how I do much of my own. I love the way you make a "scene" out of your collage work. Enjoy the autumn season approaching. I envy you. Here in Florida it doesn't change too much. The sun gets a little less scorching, and the tourist trade increases (more cars to dodge), and the rains come, but otherwise, you hardly notice a change. Except of course, when you visit the department stores and they are putting out Christmas stuff even before Halloween gets here!

Sigruns German Garden said...

Flora, sweatpeas are for me: Holiday, Summer, Britain!
Next year I come.

Sigrun

Beth said...

Its feeling so Autumnish here too finally,,,I love it. I wish I could grow sweet peas. How the Daisy doing?

Heather said...

I adore sweetpeas!!