Tuesday, August 15, 2006


I have been so busy these past few days. Every spare moment has been spent preparing for the first Daisy Fae's entry into the world of humans. I have experimented with three different bodies and decided that the third will be the style of body I want. There are so many small decisions to make, such as, she is an adult fairy, so should I stuff her to give the impression of boobs from within or should I add boobs on top of the body? Ah, decisions, decisions! At the moment she is made of a lightweight cloth but I have an idea of trying her in felt, also I may try one with wires in arms and legs. The first prototype is almost ready, I will photograph her in the next day or two, she says she needs to have her hair done before a photographic session [she is a very vain girl], I have a film in the camera with just enought shots on to capture her, then I can send it away to be developed. I would imagine around 1st September she will make her debubt.

One of the main problems, I found, was that although doing sewing and patchwork, I had not made dolls, for a good few years, well about twenty years, but I try to ignore that length of time. Therefore, there is a lot of makedo in this trial fae, I had to tear and crumple quilt batting to stuff her, and really she is made out of bits and pieces I had in my workboxes. She will always be my favourite as she is the one I worked out my designs on but I am afraid, in a short time, she will be outshone by later glamourous sisters. I know once I have finalised how Daisy Fae's look they will not take as long to make, thank goodness, because I still have prototype Lupin Elves and Daisy Gals to make. Next step is to order some proper toy filling, other materials and equipment.



I noticed not too long ago that one or two blogs had posted about their childhood teddy bears, I left comments on some blogs, but thought I would post here about my favourite bear, apologises to anyone who has read any of this before. I still have my teddy bear, he is a golden yellow and about one foot tall. He is almost as flat as a pancake, from being hugged, loved and children rolling on top of him in bed in sleep. He has hardly any fur left and is bald with all the hugging he has had. He is blind as well, unfortunately, and part of his paws which were the softest brown velvet felt have been eaten away by moths at some stage and he lacks stuffing in one arm. Both my children at different stages in their lives took a shine to him and he accompanied them to bed for many years, but now he is back in my room and I still love him dearly and he knows more things about me than anyone, even myself, as I have forgotten a lot of my deepest secrets that he has been party to. He is called Teddy Robinson, after a childhood storybook character. I could never renovate him as I feel he has achieved a venerable state and I feel that his shabbiness just goes to prove what a loved teddy he was. The picture above, that I found on a site about Chad Valley Bears, that was his make, shows what he looked like in his prime.




Summer seems to have disappeared for the moment, it is grey and chilly for August. What strange summer we have had, starting with rain, then weeks of sunshine and now you would think it was late September not the middle of this month. Come back sun, all is forgiven, I won't moan that its too hot to sit out, but I have a lot of things to do in the garden which I would love to be able to do with the sun on my back. I also need to store up some sunshine in my bones, sitting reading in the sun, before the long cold days of winter. I am just about to start reading The Time Traveller's Wife which a lot of people have raved about. I have got to admit that I have had my copy a few months but over the past few days I have kept reading references to it and it has made me decide that it's the book I'll read next.

I don't often cut flowers from my garden, apart from sweetpeas, as I think my garden is too small and the blooms will be missed, I know that sounds silly, but that's me. This time of year, though, mid August to late September, I start to indulge in cut flowers, I always have plenty dahlias and windflowers and usually end up cutting the gladioli before early autumn gales attack them. Once the nights start to get darker a little earlier and the sun leaves my garden sooner causing a chill in the air, these are the signs I look for and then bring the joy of the garden indoors, to enjoy in the early mornings and evenings.


16 comments:

Carole Burant said...

I can't wait to see your Daisy Fae...sounds like you're coming along well with her prototype:-) Loved the story of your childhood teddy bear, it certainly did get loved and kept you and your children company while sleeping!! The mornings and evenings have gotten much cooler here too, you can already feel the nip of Autumn in the air!! Take care:-) xoxo

Beth said...

Hi Daisy,
Wow,,I can't wait to see Daisy Fae too! I know she will be truly beautiful. And I will try to send you some of my warm sunshine to you. It stormed here last night and is a little cooler today. I am back at work,,I had to move all my office stuff downstairs yesterday and today. The office I did have was a dreary, concrete,(no windows) book room,,very depressing. I begged for a new office and I got one this year,,and its so nice and pretty! I am going to take my camera tomorrow and take pics of it.
I do Love your Teddy Bear story. I had a little stuffed baby named Pinkie that I dragged every where.
Take care darling Daisy!!
hugs

Annie Jeffries said...

Daisy Faes, Lupin Elves, Daisy Gals. Wow, what fun dolls these shall be. Can't wait to see them.

We too are feeling a change in the weather as well, Daisy. It's mid-August and I walked out the door this morning to a chill and dew on the front car window. Very strange but a relief considering the triple digit weeks we suffered through here in July.

Lisa Oceandreamer Swifka said...

I can't wait to see your prototype of Daisy Fae. Art dolls are so open to such wonderous interpretation! I, too, have my original teddy bears from childhood. They were used by a photographer to make children laugh/smile for photos...and were given to me when I was quite wee. I've always liked that that was their job before they came to live with me. What better way to earn their living than to make others smile. They've been stored away and you've made me think they should be sharing my studio with me. (especially when a smile is needed)

Janet said...

I am anxiously awaiting the debut of your Daisy Fae. I'm sure she will be lovely.

Strange weather seems to be happening everywhere this summer. It is much cooler here than normal and for that I'm thankful after all those blazing hot days.

Deirdre said...

I can hardly wait to see you dolls. I'm making collaged art dolls now - getting ready to start my fourth. I always hated dolls, but this is different. 'The Time Traveler's Wife' is magnificent. Loved it. Hope you do too.

tlchang said...

Thanks for flitting over to visit my blog. Glad you are amongst the SOSF ranks.

Lovely blog, yourself! I envy the sound of village life. You also sound very creatively engaged - I especially like your Sunday Scribblings. I can tell we share many of the same tastes in authors (I've read most of the ones you've listed. And yes, I also love Barbara Kingsolver, Alice Hoffman, Terri Windling, fairy tales, etc...)

Thanks for taking the time to introduce yourself.

Kali said...

Hi Daisy ~ I too can't wait to see your Daisy Fae...she will be just right by the sounds of it for all the thought and love you are putting into her.
I've enjoyed catching up with your posts...I hope you're having a lovely week...Kali xx
p.s. loved your teddy and his story too :)

Tea said...

I love your bear.
That book The Time Traveller's Wife sounds interesting!
And I can`t wait to see your dolls.
I have a pattern for a gypsy fortune teller doll that I`m meaning to make someday. I have the little tarot cards in a bag for her, but getting her made is another thing!
Missed your posts. Summer is fast dissapearing here too. Fall is definately in the air. And just when I was starting to really pay attention to my garden too!

tea
xo

Naturegirl said...

I am sorry to tell you that we are enjoying the summer sunshine however the nights and mornings a bit cooler!As I tiptoe in the morning dew my feet do get COLD now :( Your garden forgives you when youcut the flowers and bring them indoors
but I know what you mean about enjoying the beauty outdoors.Can't wait to see your creations..love the names!I was fooled initially when I looked at photo of teddy until I got to the end of your post. I never had one as a child but oh have I made up for it! I have a family of teddys!The child in me never leaves.

Tracy said...

Your Teddy Bear is adorable!

Our weather is still hot & humid with lots of afternoon thunderstorms. It will be another month or so beforeit begins to cool off here.

MariaJ said...

Your Daisy Fae sounds already wonderful, I can hardly wait the result...

Tinker said...

The Daisies and Lupins sound divine! I can't wait to see them.
Teddy Robinson must surely be transforming from a Velveteen Bear to a Real Bear by now with all the love he's had!
It's been unseasonably cool here, too - off and on for days, first hot, then cool - then back to hot, as though it can't quite make up its mind. Though the light itself seems to me to be what I think of as "September light." I hope we aren't on the brink of an Ice Age or some other apocalyptic disaster as in your short story (which I'm going to continue thinking about for days... that was so well-done!)
I love reading your blog - it's a little slice of juicy sweetness in my day!

Ray said...

Do we get to see a picture of your bear as he is today, the much-loved variety? Or do you think he would give away too many of your secrets?!!

J C said...

Can't wait to see your fairy. She is going to be beautiful, I know.

dogfaeriex5 said...

thank-you for sharing your story of your teddy bear, it is amazing how still after 40yrs that he still brings a smile to my face!*!*!*!
take care~k