Saturday, August 05, 2006


This is the wedding card that I made for my daughter's friends wedding. I will take some photographs of her in her outfit and post them at a future date. This is the first of her friend's to get married, and she is, of course, very excited about the wedding, and has helped with the last minute preparations. She has whizzed off to the nearest town at 8.30am. this morning to have her hair done for the wedding this afternoon. This is not bad considering none of us got to bed before 3.00am. this morning.

The reason for the late evening was the leaving/housewarming party for our next door neighbours. They have been good neighbours and we will miss them all and their dog who wanders round into our house and garden to visit us. Unfortunately, the family is splitting up and some have left the village completely, but some have moved slightly further up the village, so they are technically still neighbours, just not our next door neighbours and next door neighbours are the most important, so it is nice when you have helpful and friendly ones. There were leaving drinks round the bonfire, on the scrubland behind our gardens on Thursday night, and last night a house warming party in the house a few doors up the village. It seemed very strange waking up this morning and looking out of the bedroom window and seeing next door's garden empty of its garden furniture, lights and ornaments.


I am always interested in the way people move into the village. When we moved here we didn't cause a stir, we went out and about saying hello to people as we passed them and slowly got to know people. We did nothing controversial, and respected the way people in the village did things, and we took care to understand the quirky 'rights of way' that seemed to affect every property. Bit by bit we became part of the village. Some people, though charge in and ride roughshod over the residents, never taking their views into consideration and being quite selfish. There is one person who moved to our village about eighteen months ago and this person has just about upset everyone in the village by not respecting 'rights of way' and turning to the law courts at every opportunity when he does not get his own way. Asking about the village and communication with the long term residents would have eased his way considerably. We all have to rub along together, and it is easier to live and let live.

My Local History Group had its August meeting on Thursday, and it is going very well. I am organising a trip to the County Records Office, where we will have a talk from one of the archivists, about researching local history, which will help the members who are not skilled in research. I am also looking to set up a series of lectures with different speakers talking about the area's history. These lectures will be not just for the History Group but will be thrown open for any one in the village to attend for a small door charge, to help our funds and to pay for the speaker. The building in the photograph is the medieval guildhall in my local town.

The weather was hot and sunny yesterday, but damp and rainy today, but already, and it is only the beginning of August I have noticed we are to have some night temperatures as low as single figures, which seems early to me. Busy collecting seeds to keep for next year, and will have to get some advice about my lavender bush which is getting a bit woody and old.

12 comments:

Tea said...

What a pretty card. It will be all the more special being made with love.
Look forward to seeing the wedding pictures. If I`m ever brave enough I might put one of our own up someday from this past June. We`d been together for 6 plus years so it was very small and private but still very special.
I hope you get more nice neighbours moving in too.

tea
xo

Miss Robyn said...

I love the look of your village! I wanna visit !!!!!! I am very interested in history of our little area too. I have had a history done on our house and have a wonderful story to tell, oneday.
what do you need to know about the lavender?
as to the weather - Mother Nature is sure menopausal lately, all over.

PamKittyMorning said...

Another lovely post with wonderful pictures. Looking forward to the pictures of your daughter.

Janet said...

Such a pretty card and I'm sure the recipients will love it because you made it just for them.

Your comments about new people in an area are so true. Better to get the feel of a place before crashing about and making demands. We all have to live together in the world and in a village.

zuzu said...

Miss Lupin =^..^=

How lovely of you to drop by my blog for tea this morning! Oh and I was not there to greet you ::SIGH:: the time differences are so inconvenient -- I trust that the faeries in the garden were helpful?

Perhaps you might ask them about the lavender. What I know of it is mostly what they have taught me ::giggle:: I do know that lavender must be cut back hard every year to really keep it healthy ... It prefers dry sun (at least here in California) and the hard thing to accept is that it only lives seven years.

I adore lavender and have every variety I am able to find, tucked into every sunny spot available. It is next to the rosemary by the door, and is a delight to brush past as I come around from the road to the door ::yum::

Do write about the kittens you spoke of ... Three little ghosts. Of this I would be thrilled to hear more! =^..^= love, zU

Anonymous said...

Daisy

Please send me a direct email at sandy48@pacbell.net & then I'll have your email that way.

Sandy

J C said...

Daisy, I love your posts and reading about the village life. It is so different where I live. I am envious. Your card is beautiful! Do you ever do ATC swaps? There is one just getting started at www.violettesfolkart.com if you are interested. We'd love to have you.

Heather said...

Too bad about your neighbours leaving but how wonderful a little place you live and how wonderful to belong to a Local History Group!

Tinker said...

It's sad to lose long-time neighbors - our neighbors across the street had to move a couple of years ago, and though a new family moved in, shortly after, it's only recently that I've finally stopped referring to the house by our old neighbor's names ("You mean Bob & Grace's house?" I suppose I don't adapt well to change :)
Also, I second Judie's comment - I really enjoy hearing about your village and your ATC's are lovely, if you're interested in swapping, check out Violette's blog!

paris parfait said...

Beautiful card - I'm sure the recipient will be thrilled with the time and effort you put into it, reflecting your care and best wishes on the happy occasion. I'm so glad you visited my blog so that now I have discovered yours! Thank you.

Carole Burant said...

The card you made is beautiful and no doubt will be much treasured!! Our neighbours across the stree from us are moving away in a week...they have been there for 9 years and we always got along well so it will be sad to see them go. We've been in this house for 28 years so are well known around here! lol We try to make all new people who move on this street feel welcome:-)

Sigruns German Garden said...

Flora, I like the guildhall, you know, I like your old houses very much.

Sigrun