Tuesday, August 22, 2006


I am thinking a lot about Autumn today,next monday is our late Summer bank holiday in England. I always think of it as the last day of Summer, and tend to draw a line underneath Summer on that day. This is just a personal thing, and Autumn, to me, always begins on the Tuesday, even if it isn't quite September. I look forward then to some wonderful mild autumn days, with the trees beginning to turn and the hedgerows and lanes full of berries ripe for the picking. A time to go and search for autumn treasures, pine cones, acorns, seedheads and grasses to dry to use in decorations for both Autumn and Christmas. Although I love Summer and tending my garden, what can be better than walking along kicking at piles of crunchy Autumn leaves and the delight of coming home to warm room and a cup of hot chocolate. Although, I have to admit that is a late Autumn activity. I am showing two photographs, the one to the right and the one below left, that my husband took last year, just as a foretaste of what is to come. They are of the village church looming out of the Autumn trees.



I will take every opportunity from next week, whenever the sun shines, to jealously steal time to sit in the garden with my cup of coffee, drinking in the late Summer fragrance of the flowers. I love my garden at this time of year, it's a quiet time, a time to relish what I have achieved in the Summer, a lull before the time comes to uproot the annual bedding plants,after collecting their seeds, cut back the perennials and begin planting bulbs for Spring. Also a time to note where plants are and to workout what will stay where it is and what I will move next Spring, and to think of additions I want to make. Every morning I walk around my garden and see if anything new is happening. This morning a beautiful deep purple dahlia was opening, one I had only planted earlier this year. I think this dahlia is the last of my plants that has to bloom. There had been a heavy dew and by the time I walked around the paths my skirt was damp with brushing against plants laden with dew. Late this evening I went into the garden and I could smell woodsmoke from a bonfire a neighbour had had earlier and the most wonderful earthy smell was eminating from the ground. As the moon begins to wax in a day or two I know this time the full moon will be a rich harvest moon.



Thinking of a harvest moon hanging full and fertile in the sky a rich golden orange colour, such a magical moon, makes me think of one of my favourite painter's Samuel Palmer, an English visionary from the 1800's. His paintings of cornfields, people leaving church under the moon's gaze after evening song, and tired rustics wending their way home always make me think of Autumn. It also reminds me of how modern agricultural methods have changed the times of harvest. Harvest time used to be any time in August until near the end of September, but nowadays with modern crops it can be early July. I love the idea of the old time harvest supper after the last crops have been carted home and everyone sits in the twilight to celebrate the bringing in of the harvest, drinking cider and eating a harvest home meal. I know it is a romantic vision and I have probably being reading too much Thomas Hardy, but the quintessential idea of a harvest supper is the one in 'Far from the Madding Crowd' both the book and the film.



Thinking about harvests and cornfields also reminds me of my favourite wild animal, whom I have great respect for, the hare. In Ancient Britain the hare was sacred to the moon goddess Andraste and for the Celts the hare was symbolic of the goddess Cerridwen. I love my moon gazing hare that I have in my garden, a photograph of which I posted a few posts back. There is a custom in some parts of Britain, when reaping the harvest of calling the last sheaf left standing 'the hare' and the cutting of it is called 'killing the hare'. Sometimes the reapers would throw their sickles at the last sheaf before cutting it down.

I am always looking out for myths and stories about hares, so if anyone knows any please let me know. I think I have loved hares since I was a child and read 'Little Grey Rabbit' books by Alision Utterly, if anyone knows them. I have a little grey rabbit ornament on my kitchen dresser, she was the ultimate country lady to me with her herbs, potions, May day customs and kissing balls.

I think I have now made myself realise that Summer is almost over for another year and geared my self up to enjoy Autumn, if its Autumn or Fall in your part of the world enjoy, whilst our friends on the other side of the world are heading towards Spring, so let them enjoy their season too.

19 comments:

One Crabapple said...

Hi Daisy!

I just came to see your blog and I am at work
So I have to come back when I get more time ! I jsut wanted to say I saw so many things here I can't wait to take my time to read and see.

And I see your bear

She / He is NUDE ! Please ! you have to work on that ! Looks like a flea market or ebay baby clothes are in your future !

Your bear is sweet. I am looking forward to reading more about that when I can take a longer break here.

Love, S.

A bird in the hand said...

Hello Daisy! Lovely post.

It's nowhere near fall here, still in the throes of summer.

You asked about the tea cup -- it's Royal Staffordshire, and I got it from an antigue fair years ago, when I had notions of collecting them.

Beth said...

What a beautiful autumn you have in England. The trees are so pretty! I am so ready for Fall,,it is one of my favorite seasons,,that and spring. A time to die and then a time for rebirth. We must trade some seeds. I have saved some from my big hibiscus that comes up every year. I will have to send you some of the seeds. You will love them. It takes about 2 years before they actually come up,,but they are well worth the wait.
I hope you have a wonderful Wednesday Delightful Daisy!!!

Janet said...

You have such a way with words! I can smell the woodsmoke, hear the crisp leaves underfoot, and see the little hare running through the fields. Autumn is my favorite season. I love all the wonderful rich colors of the trees against the brilliant blue skies.

tlchang said...

Lovely, lovely, evocative post. I adore Autumn. Although it isn't quite as gratifying out here in the Pacific Northwest as it was when we lived in the Eastern part of the US. Here, it means the start of *rainy season*. Our eastern autumns were more like what you are describing and are the memory-evoking seasons of my childhood.

The Durer hare you posted is one of my favorites of his. Terry Windling wrote an entire essay on the mythology of the hare on her terrific Endicott Studio site: www.endicott-studio.com/jMA05Summer/index.html
And a friend of hers, Midori Snyder, wrote a very fun YA novel that features a heritage garden and an almost trickster hare figure, called "Hannah's Garden". Loved the visual imagery in that one!

rel said...

Daisy,
That is an eloquent description of my favorite season. I find joy in each season, but autum is my favorite: it excites my soul and stimulates all my senses, just as you did with your words.
Thanks for the mental treat.
rel

Miss Robyn said...

I think that autumn must be the best season. I love it!
Have you read the velveteen rabbit? I am sure you have ;) I love that book
I also love Cerridwen - I need to be getting back to my goddess roots, I think that is why I am feeling melancholy.
Daisy, I love your post here, it makes me feel as if we are talking together xo

PamKittyMorning said...

Lovely my dear.

paris parfait said...

Wonderful post, Daisy. I always look forward to autumn (perhaps it's because of my September birthday), because it seems so ripe with possibility and new beginnings.

Rowan said...

What an evocative post, autumn is my favourite season too, it's the beginning of my year - I love everything about it, the scents, the colours,the crisp sunny mornings and the misty,damp days - can't wait for it to be here.

Lisa Oceandreamer Swifka said...

Daisy, your posts are like poetry. How I love the autumn - that and spring are my favorite seasons. Your engaging stories just further my quest to get to England.

Annie Jeffries said...

I can heard and smell the crackling and then burning leaves of autumn, my favorite time of the year.

Golden Granny said...

Hi Daisy, you dont know me but I am Beths mom. She has told me so much about you. I went into your blog and thoroughly enjoyed reading all of your blogs. You are a great writer and the pictures are beautiful. I had an online friend that lived in London but she is no longer on line. I really miss her emails and pictures. I am knew at blogging and trying it out. My blogs arent all that good as my grammar isnt that good but I try just the same LOL. Nice to meet you.
Lottie

Tea said...

I can smell autumn in the air here too. It`s a beautiful season. I think actually my favorite with summer running second. I wish we could just run right into spring again afterwards. But alas, Canada`s longest season is winter.
Another lovely write up from you Daisy.

tea
xo

Carole Burant said...

Autumn is also my very favourite time of the year...Mother Nature in all her glorious colourful glory has got to be the most beautiful scenery there is!! Our nights and morning have that "nip of Autumn" in the air already and soon the leaves will start changing colours. I loved reading your post as usual!!! xoxo

Gretel said...

Alison Uttley has been a favourite since childhood...I think the farmhouse in 'A Traveller in Time' started my longing to live in one. And Samuel Palmer too...we have several originals at The Ashmolean in Oxford, they are so small, I think no bigger than A4. And we never eat hares - rabbit, yes, but not hares. For all the reasons mentioned in your post. It somehow seems wrong...

Alice said...

Although not a story about a real hare (or was he a rabbit?) a wonderful tale is 'The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane' by Kate DiCamillo. Edward cannot speak but he can think, and although a rather selfish hare to begin with, a series of adventures brings about a great change in his perceptions. My grandaughter was given it by a close friend, and it really is a most moving and wonderful story.

KaiBlue said...

Amen to Autumn!!
Peace and friendship, Kai

kansasrose said...

Hi Daisy! I really enjoyed this post...you captured the beauty and mystery of autumn and the harvest with your words, photographs and pictures. There is a power in these days...I can feel it all around me at times. Living in the countryside and mainly agricultural area of the US I wish others here could honor these old ways like you do. We grow wheat and hay and some corn and grapes on my little farm. The full harvest moon will be tomorrow evening and I can feel it's pull and energy. Have you heard of or seen corn doileys or wheat weavings? A lady that lives near me uses wheat stalks and makes these into old celtic symbols honoring the harvest and fertility and crops. They are so beautiful. She has lead a workshop and a few ladies from the UK attended and they are very good friends. I love your blog.