Tuesday, August 08, 2006


Make of the following what you will, it is not a made up tale, it is how it is in my cottage. Shortly after moving into our cottage I was sitting in my chair reading, I looked up and caught a movement out the corner of my eye, I looked and saw what I thought was a shadowy grey cat disappearing out of the room. During that first winter and early spring I would see this little cat flitting about the house. It was by no means solid just a sort of sad grey glimmering shape, always on the move.


When the warmer weather arrived and we had our back door constantly open, I got to know the only cat in our vicinity, a wonderful tortoiseshell tom called Indie. He was a great character, obviously the king cat and he decided that our house was an extension of his house next door and would wander in and make himself at home. He once stayed in the middle of winter with us for eight days, just going out and back to his own home when he wanted a meal, though he was not adverse to begging food off us as well. During the time Indie was around I never saw the little grey cat but would often see Indie watching something along its pathway. Just over two years ago we got our own cat, Pixie, and Indie soon made friends with her. We went on holiday to Cornwall and the day before we came home, I was standing in the kitchen of the holiday home we had rented and saw the little grey cat run across the kitchen. I turned around to follow it with my eyes and saw Indie standing by the kitchen counter, as solid as if he was there. The next day homeward bound, we had got as far as Kings Cross Station, London, when my phone rang. It was my daughter who was house sitting for us. She rang to prepare us for the fact that Indie had been runover the day before and was struggling for his life at the vets, where his owner had taken him. Unfortunately he didn't survive.


Indie started to appear around our house, sometimes just quickly sometimes more leisurely, I would see him in the alleyway sniffing his favourite herb plants, as Pixie grew they looked very similar, but it was not Pixie I was seeing it was Indie. One day I saw a cat I thought was Pixie going out the back door when I was on my way to the living room, in the living room there was Pixie curled up on her favourite cushion fast asleep

Our next ghost cat is even more curious. A year ago a family moved in on the other side of our cottage with many cats, the oldest of which was a large black tom, Merlin, in character he was a bit of an Indie, knew what he wanted and went for it. Sometimes Pixie and him were friends sometimes Pixie would have a quick spat with him. Then one day I had been stroking Merlin on the back wall and returned to my kitchen to see another large black cat walking into my dining room. I knew it was another ghost cat, I can't explain how I am certain these are cats not of our reality, because although they do often appear solid there is just something about them and their movement. The black ghost cat now became part of our lives.


My mother was scornful about these ghosts cats, until one day she was visiting and we were sitting talking and she suddenly looked at me and said that a black cat had walked across the room, and no, it was not Merlin. I got used to seeing this black cat and one day my neighbour told me a strange story. Apparently, Merlin had a brother Arthur who was identical to him, when they both became adult cats, unfortunately, Arthur died, they were so identical that she was never sure whether it was Merlin or Arthur that had died, so the remaining black one she called Merlin.
My neighbours moved away, with reference to them you can find a very early blog story about them and how they abandoned their cats. The black ghost cat didnot go with them but still appears occasionally in our house.


Our latest ghost cat is our own darling Pixie, who was run over on midsummer's day, and died instantly at two years old. At first I did not see her but after a few days I began to hear the little bell on her collar tinkling as I went around the house. About a week after she died I was passing our open bedroom door on the way downstairs and I glanced inside as I often do and there was Pixie curled up on her favourite spot on our bed. Occasionally in the night I can feel her weight lying on my feet or when I am watching a dvd I feel the weight of her sitting on my knee, and put my hand out to stroke her before I remember.

Now I have told you the story of my three ghost cats, I see them in daylight or at night, sometimes they move quickly through my vision, sometimes they are just there, but if you turn and look away and back again they are gone. The little grey cat I have not seen for a long time, Pixie I see the least, the other two cats equally, Indie seems to turn up at times of events, changes or upheavel, either good or not so good, the black cat seems to wander quitely, but sometimes seems to rush around caught up in a happening. They are just there, I don't communicate with them I just seem to share my space with them.

















.

17 comments:

Janet said...

Daisy, how beautiful that is. And a bit strange that you wrote about it now as we had to leave our Harley at the emergency pet clinic tonight. We think he may have been bitten by a snake! I'm praying he makes it through the night.

Miss Robyn said...

ahh dear ms*Daisy - first of all - did you see Pixie on my blog ? tell me what you think :)
and second - I was just about to post about something that has been happening to me..... will do it soon. xo

Tinker said...

How fascinating, Daisy! Though I'm so sorry to hear about you losing your little cat Pixie. They are family and it's heartbreaking to lose them. How sweet that she has chosen to let you know she's still around. Also, the black cat, obviously decided your household was much more loving a place to hang around in the afterlife than with those others who abandoned their cats.
Perhaps the grey cat has decided to "move on to the light." And I do believe you. The world is a truly wonderous place.

SharonLarkin said...

Well, thank goodness for that ~ I am not alone in "seeing things"! After we had to make the heart-breaking decision to have the last of our moggies put to sleep, I used to catch glimpses of him for quite a few weeks afterwards. Funnily enough though, I didn't ever see any of our three other cats.

Tea said...

OOOOOOOOOh! You gave me shivers as I read that story. What fascinating occurances! I think I would rather have ghost cats than ghostly people in my house.
I have a story about our dog that I think I might write about.

tea
xo

Miss Robyn said...

Daisy - the Pixie gift on my blog is truly for you - all I have to do is wrap it and label it and it will be in the post. Hope you like how it ended up. will let you know when it is on its way. I didn't know Pixie very well, but how I loved her - I hope my little kitten is just like her. xo

Peggy said...

I am so glad I popped over from Miss r's blog. a beautiful post and just what I needed to read. Thanks for sharing

Beth said...

How awesome,,and I do believe it. Cats are so mysterious and they have many lifes,,so I am sure some of them are ghosts. I think it is neat that Pixie is still making her presence known to you,,and in a way giving you comfort. You are such a great writer,,love reading your blog. Hope you have a wonderful evening Ms. Daisy!!!
Huggles to you!!!

Lisa Oceandreamer Swifka said...

Daisy, what an amazing story(your home must be one of great comfort for them)... we lost our beloved Jasper over a year ago from a dog attack and we were devastated. Shortly after his death my husband and I had near identical dreams..or was it?(same night) Although he never appeared in any bodily form that night we did see his eyes from inside the closet - then felt the weight of him jumping on the bed and heard his purring. A couple of times after that we could feel his weight on the bed at nite and then it stopped. We felt comforted in knowing he had found his way back for a few brief moments.

paris parfait said...

Now that is quite a story! Ghost cats! I've heard of this phenomenon before, but never more than one in a particular household! Must be because your family is so sympathetic to cats and they're made to feel so welcome. Fascinating!

zuzu said...

Miss Daisy =^..^=

Thank you so much for sharing. I have not known anyone else that this happens to ... Were it not that others have seen the little ones that are here with me, I would for sure be thought mad.

I have had ghost kittens around me since childhood. I have come to realize why.

They have found you and returned for a reason. You are a waiting place ... A place of comfort. I believe they choose their heaven. It's you Miss Daisy. You are where they were/are happiest. They are safe with you.

Don't worry if they wander ... They always come home. Always for as they can. I believe they (animals) are the Angels on Earth. Selfless creatures that endure far too much to ease another's pain.

Sometimes another life is placed between the next return home to you ... Another life that needs their help. So they go for awhile. Then they show up again. Almost always. They return.

If you pay close attention, you can sometimes notice a bit of a change in them each time. They look a little different when they return. But it's unquestionably them. Home again to you --until another call of help is heard by only them.

Eventually they must leave even you. But I believe it is a happy parting. They have finished their work here.

Angels. Angels Unawares.
Wonderful story you have posted. Thank you for this.
Love to Pixie please =^..^=zU

Carole Burant said...

Ok, that story didn't spook me..not at all..nope not one bit...ok maybe a little bit! lol Actually I've always believed in ghosts, human and animals...I've had a couple of encounters myself but not with animals. I found your story so very riveting and it sounds like you all find comfort being together:-) xoxo

gma said...

Of course I believe there are ghost cats. That's what the other cats are pouncing on all of the time.
:-)
Very nice post

VintagePretty said...

Just as cats have souls, so their souls can still be around us even when they're not there anymore - we can still feel them. What a lovely post :)

kansasrose said...

What a beautiful post...Yes I do believe in cat's and dogs returning to us in spirit and helping others...we lost a beautiful girl Cleo this summer just almost 2yrs...she was run over. I was just devestated by her death. That night she came to me in a dream and she was beautiful and whole and had her lovely purple belled collar on. I heard her bell tinkling. She let me know she had a wonderful life with us and she did not want us to grieve for her. She said she lived many lifetimes in those 2 years...and it was time for her to move on again. I am getting teared up now so I better stop...I still think of her. I can feel her presence at night especially. Thank you for posting your lovely experiences.

J C said...

Wonderful story. Yes, I believe. They came to you because you are a good person and your home is open to them, and their spirit knows that.

Rosa said...

I love all your ghost cats. Heck, I like any cat!