Thursday, August 10, 2006


Opposite is a photograph of my parent's wedding. A few posts back I said my mother had given me her wedding hat and I was going to freshen it up a little bit. My mother said when we were looking at the hat that she had always thought it was bigger than it is now and it does look small. I thought maybe because she hadn't seen it for a while she had forgotten its size, but when I look at the photograph the hat is bigger. I am beginning to wonder if straw can shrink with age and whether if I steam it will the straw expand again. Does anyone know or can anyone help me? Apart from reshaping it just needs the ribbon stiffened so it is upright again, I need to find a bunch of fabric anenomes to replace the ones that are missing and I need a little navy veiling. Then it will have pride of place on the bedroom wall where I hang my straw hats. The hat is navy blue, the shoes are navy blue suede and the dress and jacket were duck egg blue, she must have been a very stylish bride in 1950. I know the jacket is no longer in existence, I had it dyed purple when I wore vintage clothes at art college, It was a light crepe fabric, quite delicate and I wore it until it fell to pieces, but the dress is apparently still packed away somewhere.



I am just so excited,I have been very busy the past couple of days designing a range of items I want to make, I used to make various bits and pieces and sell them at fetes, fayres etc, and have decided I have the time to do that again, the small items I used to make look good again after all these years and won't be hard to do. Apart from these items I have designed a new range of dolls, not for playing with more as art or ornament. They are stuffed fabric and material and fabric paint. I am in the process of making protoypes which will probably take a week or two until I get them right, when I am just about satisfied I may photograph them and post about them. There are three types I have copyrighted, Daisy Faes, Lupin Elfs and Daisy Gals. I am talking about them now because I find the way to make sure I complete these tasks are to talk about them on my blog so blog readers know and then I would be too embarassed if I didn't finish the task. Heehee, isn't that fiendish? Daisy Faes are girl faeries, Lupin elfs are obviously elfs and Daisy Gals, ha ha, these are my favourites are sort of goddess ladies and wise women of a certain age. I am really excited about these mini Daisy Lupin family.



We had the most beautiful full moon last night, high in the sky very heavy looking and a rich golden yellow, causing an aura in the sky around it. It was a windy night and the indigo clouds were scudding past it in fury. I watched it for ages, it was almost a harvest moon, I think the next one will be one, you know low in the sky and an incredible orangey pink. I have been so full of inspiration and designing energy the past few days, scribbling in one of my little notebooks now and then right through the days. I am sure it is the result of sleeping with the waxing moon shining on my pillow and face as I sleep.



After posting about my ghost cats yesterday I thought I would mention the two best books about cats I have read. I don't know if they are still in print but they were published in the 1990's and are called The Wild Road and The Golden Cat by Gabriel King, they are fiction books and the animals talk but just like we would. I am not quite sure who they are aimed at young adults or adults but they have some very pertinent things to say within the story about the destruction of the earth by not being green enough and the effects of big business and experiments on animals. They also tell the history of cats in myths and how the cats in the book relate to their history. They are wonderful books.

12 comments:

Carole Burant said...

Your mother is so beautiful in that picture!! Love the styles from those days. As for the straw hat, you can try this...Soak a straw hat in cold salt water to reshape it. Stretch and mold when wet, then let it air dry. Hope that works for you!! Ooooh I was so interested when you mentioned making faerie dolls...you must definitely make them now and show them to us:-) xoxo

Lisa Oceandreamer Swifka said...

oh Daisy, as one who loves faeries and elfen sprites, goddesses, spirit women etc. I am still in design mode to incorporate them in future work. Your lovely location sounds perfect for inspiring things of that nature.I am SO anxious to see your creations.
As for the straw hat....I've heard blocking it can help after it's been dampened...maybe on one of those foam heads.(but truly I have never done it) Aren't vintage fashions with memories attached grand?
Sending you joy.....

J C said...

Can't wait to see your dolls Daisy. You definitely have to do them now becuz I won't let you be until I see them...LOL...

Miss Robyn said...

I am putting in my order for your dolls! I am a cloth doll maker too and haven't made one in ages. I have an idea in my head at the moment so you may just inspire me to get it out!

Miss Robyn said...

oh - and is there a reason you want to 'restore' the hat? would you be happy to just hang it as is,maybe with a flower or two added. Maybe if you restore it too much it might lose its quaintness. I am real shabby gal !

Tea said...

Your mother is absolutely beautiful Daisy! And your father dapper handsome.
Her outfit must have looked striking in colour! Duck Egg Blue and Navy....very nice combination.

I can`t wait to see your dolls. Yep, now you just have to make them!

Hope you find the cure for your Mum`s hat too.

tea
xo

kansasrose said...

Daisy your mother is very beautiful and so elegant in her wedding frock. Can't wait to see your fairy (sorry I spell it this way) dolls! I am sure they will be just precious.

Deirdre said...

Your parents wedding picture is so sweet. Great shoes she's wearing. I'd love to see a picture of your dolls. Do you have anything posted yet? I'm just starting to get into art dolls. I've never, never liked dolls ... boring... but the art doll concept is fascinating.

Sigruns German Garden said...

A nice couple!

Sigrun

Beth said...

mmm,,,I love the new Daisy Lupin dolls that you are talking about making,,they sound neat!!! Love the pic of your mom too,,don't know much about how to make the hat bigger,,lol. Sure have missed you and your blog since I have been working the past few days,and friends visiting too.
I hope you have a lovely week-end. We had some storms and cooler weather the past few days,,so thats been very nice!
Huggles!!

Rosa said...

Love your story. Dunno about hats shrinking. You need to go visit Ulla. She took some classes in millinery (is that a word??) and she may be able to help. If she can't she'll know who to go to!! She's a wealth of information! www.ullam.typepad.com

PS Love the picture of your mom and dad. What a lovely photo.

paris parfait said...

Wonderful wedding photo of your parents - reminds me of my own parents' wedding photo - very similar clothes. I'm glad you're refashioning the hat; I love it when old things are given new life. And can't wait to hear more about the faerie dolls!