Thursday, August 17, 2006


I have been thinking a lot about the Corvid family recently, there are a lot of crows and rooks around my village. I awaken every morning to the sound of the rooks in the rookery. It used to be a much bigger rookery when I first lived here but the old nunnery was converted into apartments and some houses were built in the walled grounds. The builders silently and sneakily cut down some of the magificent trees and the next spring the rookery was only half the size. Though there is another rookery just past my cottage beside the church and that one is now the largest. Sometimes when I am sitting in the garden I watch a buzzard flying high above the rookery causing the rooks grave concern, the noise they set up and the flapping, flying about and the tricks trying to lead the buzzard astray and away from the nestlings are amazing to watch. Another corvid activity I love to observe is what I call the morning display. Behind my cottage and beyond the piece of scrubland is a playing field, early every morning the crows and rooks patrol in a long line up and down this field, they all march to the right and then they turn and all march to the left. They remind me of an army on the parade ground. I presume they are coming and going to search for fat juicy worms that emerge at that time, it's just the way they form up to do it. Occasionally, they are joined by a couple of bold seagulls, although they tend to march in the opposite direction, which makes it quite complicated.


When there used to be a hen run in the scrubland the crows used to all congregate on the posts and wire of the run, casting beady eyes on the hens, or more likely the hen's food because it used to happened when the eggs had been collected and the hens fed and watered. Once in a while a bold crow would flap down towards any food spilt and what a furore that caused with crows cawing, hens squawking. At times the scene did start to resemble a clip from Hitchcock's The Birds. All the same I do find them fascinating birds and wonder if they deserve their dark reputations. I like to think of them as trickster figures, they treat you as they feel at the time, kindly or craftily. Apparently, crows are supposed to be very intelligent.


I'm not a girl who can't cope with spiders, I actually like spiders and have often voiced the opinion that I would quite like a pet one, this was inspired by a family visit to London Zoo, years ago, where I delighted in being able to strok a tarantula.
Now snakes, they are a completely different matter, I am not a fan of snakes, and what has made me think about them is a trailer for a film I keep seeing advertised, about snakes loose on a plane. I used to be quite terrified of them but that changed slightly.

Before Christmas last year I was at a party in the village, my neighbour's son came up to me and said 'Have you met Ace? come and I'll show you him', and he took me into the next room where there lying in a glass tank was a coiled up snake, not an extra large snake or a very fat one just about two feet in length. I looked and backed out the room saying something like 'oh yes very nice'. I did not think much more about it until later when the owner of the house emerged with Ace in his hands and said 'Does anyone want to hold him' A lot of the youndger kids were really keen to have their turn, and then it was my neighbour's son's turn. He turned to show me, I was at the other side of the room and he asked me did I want to stroke it. Taking a gulp of wine I thought well its now or never, went over and tentatively put my hand on the snake's body. Now I know snakes are not cold and slimy and I was prepared for that, in fact it felt of room temperature, but what I had not anticipated was when you touch its body you can feel its muscles sinuously contracting and rippling. Well a quick stroke is all it got, it was not pleasant but it was definitely not terrifying either. I stroked it on one further occasion, at a later date, when my daughter was present as she hates snakes as well. Now, I am not a snake fan and I wouldn't like to hold it nor do I want to seek their company but somehow, I am no longer as terrified as I used to be.


Daisy Fae, prototype No 1 was finally photographed yesterday, so when I get the film back from developing I will be posting her photograph. I am desperate to start making some more, as after making her I know what I want to do to improve her and I have also designed my Lupin Elf, but I have ordered a large amount of proper toy filling and will have to wait for the mailman to deliver it. I am not wasting this time, however, I am cutting out bits and pieces for the Daisy Lupin family, and other soft baby toys and also some felt Christmas ornaments and some brooches I want to make. I am deliriously happy, creating and crafting. I will be decorating the spare room next month and moving all my craft things into there, as the floorboards in the spare room are stained wood, where I am working now is carpeted, and I am such a messy crafter flinging glitter with abandon and snipping and dropping threads that I will be much better off in there, also I will not have to clear up and move everything when visits are imminent.

After talking about my Teddy Robinson, I think I must take a photograph of him in his present state, for all the loving and hugging he has had off me and my children, I think the old bear should have a bit of the limelight.

23 comments:

Janet said...

Oh you are much braver than I am because I don't even want to be in the same vicinity as a snake! I don't think I could ever get up the nerve to touch one! Yuk!!

I understand about your carpeted room fro creating....I have the same problem! Every time I think about doing some messy craft I decide against it because of the carpet. Puts a damper on creating!

Lisa Oceandreamer Swifka said...

daisy, be careful when sewing with carpet underfoot....I used to do that and can't say how many times I stepped on a stray pin or needle. OUCH.(of course this comes from always being barefoot in the house).
Brave woman you are, not only stroking the snake but a tarantula? My fear of spiders is so intense that if a stray one would appear above the door jam I couldn't cross it, fearful it would drop on my head and then I would drop. lol!

Naturegirl said...

We don't seem to have crows of late.Here we are dealing with the threat of "West Nile Virus" a mosquito borne disease which caused many of the crows and other birds to die..my daughter and I were discussing ..how we never seem to see the large crows now.Your photo reminded me of the fact.

Deirdre said...

I've just run downstairs to get my copy of a children's book about crows. It's called "Carmine the Crow", by Heidi Holder. Beautiful illustrations and timeless story. It's been one of my favorites for years. I collect illustrated childrens books and this one is gorgeous. You might like it.

Miss Robyn said...

damn those builders for cutting down old trees! ooh a pet hate of mine, for sure.
I love rooks and crows! we have a blackbird here called a chough & it is glorious to watch.
I hate snakes & I hate spiders - we have alot of venomous spiders and snakes here in Aus. and well - they are not at all nice to come across while gardening.
can't wait to see you dollies!

Gretel said...

I love the crow family too...we have lots of jackdaws in our lane. Noisy but funny. Some farmer cut down a copse with a rookery in, like your wretched builders, it was dreadful, like a scar on the landscape - empty. We have a few ravens round here too.I agree that they don't deserve their reputation, such social, intelligent birds - and not as bloodthirsty as everyones favourite robin...

VintagePretty said...

I'm not particularly afraid of spiders - I wouldn't kill one (and I do love harvestmen) but tarantulas leave me cold. Snakes are the same, not particularly scared but can't imagine why someone would want one as a pet (can you see me running up and down the road shouting "here Snakey Snakey Snakey" when he escaped?! hehe)

I loved your bit about the crows too, their squawking is something I adore. We have a good few jackdaws around, they nest in the chimney stacks all along the road, and shoo away all magpies and crows that try to eat the bread we put out for them! Did you know they used to be a good source of food? As if they've not got enough to worry about!

Take care

Pam Aries said...

Hello! Dear Daisy, ha! With an ever increasing web of 'Glitter Sisters" from Violette's...I'm losing track of who I've visited and left comments to! hee ee! I love your blog1 It is so sweet! It brings me a little piece of English country life! I can
t wait to see your faeries! did you see the Society of Secret Faeries site??? Have an art full day1 Pam Aries!!

Pam Aries said...

ps: I put down a painter
s cloth over the carpet when I am crafting !!!! No Worries!

Deirdre said...

Daisy - the book "Carmine the Crow", is from 1992, author Heidi Holder. Amazon still has it. It's one of the most beautiful books I own.

Lisa Oceandreamer Swifka said...

I can't wait to see the photos of Daisy Fae. I forgot to mention I also joined the SOSF...wouldn't it be a delightful surprise if we turned out to be each others secret fae?
It's sad when construction mars the landscape and takes the natural surroundings away...we have that close by and the big tree that drew ALL the birds is now gone.

J C said...

Where I live you are not allowed to cut down a tree without a permit (thank goodness) and if you do you have to replace it with another. And if you cut down a tree without permission and it has nesting eagles or owls,,,your a__ is grass, if you pardon the saying. Our power companies build wood nests on top of power poles along the interstate highway so eagles can nest and stay off of the power line connections. It's really kewl to see the babies peeking over so high up.

Loved your observations about crows, Daisy. I used to have a childhood friend whose father had a captured crow and taught it to talk.

We have large nesting areas here of Quaker Parakeets. They will take over large trees and build community nests, and they are very noisy. They are about the size of three parakeets put together, green with grey heads. Many people refer to them as parrots, but they are actually of the parakeet family. Some people also try to capture and cage them. Useless of course unless you have it from a baby, because it will never tame. They are beautiful birds but they will sure strip the branches of a Norfolk pine and the tree will die. I guess there is some kind of food there.

I have a resident black snake in my yard and I let him live there peacefully, but I won't invite him in for tea!

Shelley said...

You are brave. Spiders and snakes leave me cold.

Have a great weekend.

Rosa said...

I love this post. Deliriously happy....now that's a wonderful expression. Good for you. I love crows too. I was told that they are actually lucky to have around the house--not the opposite as many think. I love to hear them cauwing too. I don't much like spiders or snakes, not that afraid of them, just don't like them. Ew. Although, I have been known to name them and I do allow them to live in my house as they catch other little raskals! Can't wait to see the pics!! xoxo

Tea said...

Crows hold a fascination for me too. But snakes.....no way!
I did years ago at one of my kids assemblies touch one. You`re right, it wasn`t all slimy and yucky. A tarantula......oooh!

Spiders are okay unless they are big and black. Any other if I find inside ever I just grab a tissue, pick it up and flutter it outside.

Lucky you to be making up a nice craft room. I do things on the front room floor and see what you mean about having carpet and bits all over! It would be much easier to sweep up than lug out the vacume cleaner.

tea
xo

KaiBlue said...

your post makes me miss home..
I dont mind spiders and snakes too much. I guess I accept that they are just living creatures like me.. Mind you I wouldnt purposly set up home with them..lol.
I have to keep my creating to a small area as Im a huge clutz with glue and sharp objects.. :)
Your pictures are serene..
Peace, Kai.

KaiBlue said...

your post makes me miss home..
I dont mind spiders and snakes too much. I guess I accept that they are just living creatures like me.. Mind you I wouldnt purposly set up home with them..lol.
I have to keep my creating to a small area as Im a huge clutz with glue and sharp objects.. :)
Your pictures are serene..
Peace, Kai.

Tinker said...

You are a braver woman than I am!
Your sewing/crafting room idea sounds lovely. I want to create a space like that for myself - but I need to get rid of a whole lot of stuff taking up room first.
Can you tell where the secret society of fairies site is? Or is it truly secret? I've been so curious since I saw Pam's comment here & yours on hers! Or you can tell me I'm a nosey parker :)

Tinker said...

Oh, and I forgot to mention, I'm fascinated by rooks, ravens, crows - most blackbirds in general seem to have a certain intelligence to them or perhaps that's just me anthropomorphizing them, but they do seem awfully clever!

tlchang said...

I much prefer snakes to spiders... Reptiles don't bother me at all - while spiders bigger than a quarter freak me out...

We have lots of crows here in the Pacific NW. And a sort of 'pet one' that visits our deck every morning to see what we've put out for it. They are fascinating to watch.

Carole Burant said...

The crows drive me nuts in the morning...they're the ones who usually wake me up!! I've petted a snake once and like you, I'm not terrified of them, just not a big fan of them! lol Spiders....that's another story, I'm petrified of them!!! Ugh!

Beth said...

I hate my carpet in the art room,,too,,but its old and we will replace it before we sell this mansion,,so I don't mind if I drop something on it,,lol. Pins and Needles are problems though.
I Love your story about the rooks and the crows!! Hope your having a great week-end Ms. Daisy!!!

Jungle Jane said...

Daisy,
Love your art and photography.
Jane