Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Where the spirit doesnot work with the hand there is no art - Leonardo Da Vinci


First of all I would like to thank all of you for your very kind comments you sent to me on the unexpected sad death of my cat, Pixie. I found solace in them, knowing that people had read about it and taken the trouble to send condolences. I know she is not coming back, although I still find myself looking for her, and I constantly remind myself that she had a wonderful two years with us after she came from the animal shelter. Thank you again.

The photograph opposite, is one of a batch taken this year, at the beginning of June, in my garden. That is my ice blue iris, this is the first year it has flowered. You can just see behind it the stepping stones and bark chipping we have been putting down to make paths and the young clematis that is steadily climbing the back wall.



Above is a photograph of my red oriental poppies, they were enormous this year, and there were nineteen of them on one plant. The largest poppy was as big as a large plate. I will publish it in a later post.



I love the ghostly white petals of this poppy, Royal Wedding, they contrast beautifully with the intense black inside. I am always amazed at the delicate papery thinness of poppy flowers. I am sure if the weather had remained dry and sunny the poppies would have been in flower much longer, but they were too delicate, even when staked, to stand too much wind and rain and they sadly quickly lost their petals.



You can see here how we are making the paths round the garden, it will look not quite so sparse next year when some of my new plants have matured more, and will make my small garden much more interesting. There are more photographs to show from this roll of film, but I will save them for later posts. I only have a few spaces to fill in my beds and pots now and I bought two lovely pots of antirrhinums yesterday, one pink and one yellow. I am also looking for a shrub or perennial to plant in memory of Pixie, I like to remember past pets that way. I am going to look in the local market for a shrub, and maybe will be able to find a couple of plants to finish this year's garden off. I say that, but you know me if I see anything really nice in the plant line I won't be able to resist it. You can always find space for another plant.

I am also going to go to a local natural healing shop to buy some more sage smudge sticks, which I will burn around the house, to get rid of negative energies, feeling and moods that have gathered since last Saturday. I like the sage ones best for this. The idea being that you close all doors and windows in your house, light the smudge sticks in a bowl, put out the flames and let them smolder and carry them from room to room to refresh it. When you have gone completely round the house you then open all the windows and the house has brand new energies, should be good for my creativity too.

11 comments:

Beth said...

Oh,,Daisy,,I sure would love to stroll around your gardens and chat with you,,such a green thumb you have! Very interesting about the smudge sticks,,I wonder where I could find them here in the U.S.,,maybe in a health store? I sent your ATCs to you last friday,,I hope you get them soon!

Deb said...

Oh Daisy! I am so sorry about your precious kitty... take comfort in the knowledge that she had a wonderful life as your companion. Your garden is so beautiful it takes my breath away - what a great place of healing. Consider yourself warmly hugged!

Sigruns German Garden said...

Royal Wedding, a good name for an white papaver! The iris ist very nice.

Sigrun

MariaJ said...

Oh, I'm so sorry for your cat! I know how it feels to loose your pet.

You had a charming Iris photo!

Carole Burant said...

I had never seen a white poppy before and I find it so very fascinating!! All your flowers are so very beautiful and I love the way you're putting the stepping stones around. Planting a shrub in memory of Pixie is an excellent idea...I have Begonias I plant every year in memory of my penpal Sissel from Norway who passed away a few years back...she had sent me the bulbs from her garden so I now plant them in her memory.

Patty said...

I just stubbled aross your blog while reading comments on Pea's blog. Sorry sorry to read about your kitty. My heart hurts for you. I think you have a lovely blog here and I am bookmarking you so I can come back when I have more time to read your back post.

David (Snappy) said...

I love the poppies.Even though they are so delicate.They are on my wish list.Going to work i see a drift of red wild poppies next to a roundabout growing through a mesh.Plant shopping is therapeutic too, as with music.
A memorial garden is good.When my one and only dog died she was buried beneath a chocolate smelling plant (as she loved chocs like me).I hope the garden and collaging helps you heal the hurt slowly..

Miss Robyn said...

Daisy - your garden delights me! I love it and if I ever get the chance to travel to the uk, can I come visit?
as to the sage smudging - I do that weekly. I also burn frankincense incense afterwards - to take away that burnt smell that the sage tends to leave. Frankincense is cleansing as well.
Maybe you could find a plant that you can relate to dear Pixie and plant it somewhere special? Catnip? or a plant with pixie name perhaps. sending lots of hugs xoxo

Gina E. said...

Dear Daisy,
I have just caught up with your blog and I am so sad to hear about Pixie. To me there is no worse way to lose a pet, than to have it run over by a car. Don't suppose the driver stopped to find out who the cat belonged to? They rarely do - some people are absolutely heartless when it comes to that kind of thing.
Warm hugs from me too..
Gina

Rosa said...

Daisy, I am so sorry for your loss. Somehow I missed your post on losing Pixie. I know, too well, the feeling you are going through. A plant would be nice. Perhaps some lavendar. Then you can enjoy it all year round in memory of sweet Dixie. Stay well.

Rosa said...

Daisy, I am so sorry for your loss. Somehow I missed your post on losing Pixie. I know, too well, the feeling you are going through. A plant would be nice. Perhaps some lavendar. Then you can enjoy it all year round in memory of sweet Dixie. Stay well.