Tuesday, June 06, 2006




Here is the first of some photographs that my husband took of a beautiful, enchanting place not too far from where we live. For anyone reading this who lives in England, I am giving no further directions, and if any one stumbles upon it, and many have in Cumbria, they will know it when they find it. These photos are for all to enjoy, but especially for Naturegirl, who also seems to find the most exquisite fairytale places, and teases us by just posting a few of them at a time leaving us wanting to know and see more. The place in these photographs, if you go there early in the morning or in the right season, seems timeless, and you would not be surprised to either come across fairy and elves flitting around the trees or meet villagers from times long gone collecting firewood. It could be where Little Red Riding Hood picked flowers on her way to grandmas, or where Snow White found the cottage of the seven dwarves. It is just a magical, serene and peaceful place.

B Before I post the rest of the photographs, below, I would just like to mention this book I have just read, [I've started to have more than one book on the go because there is always so much to read]'A Gift from the Sea' by Anne Morrow Lindbergh, it was mentioned in another book I read, and I managed to get a copy from my local library, though I must try to track down a copy for myself. There are so many pieces in it that are so apt, and I have noted down some of them in my journal. I felt these two quotes, here were important to me, this one about true identity '...it is found in creative activity springing from within.' and this one about middle age,'There is still the afternoon opening up, which one can spend not in the feverish pace of the morning but having time at last for those cultured and spiritual activites that were pushed aside in the heat of the race.' amd I am trying to keep both these quotes in mind from day to day. I think they are both very true. It is not a thick book, quite slim, but very thought provoking and satisfying.

Here are the rest of the photographs of the enchanted wood. I hope you all enjoy them.



A trail through the woods, who is watching in the trees and noting our passing?




The sun's rays shine through the trees and their foliage make dappled patterns on the woodland ground.




In the depth of the woods a stream runs through. The water is clear and sparkling.




A path runs alongside the stream, where does it go and where do the steps lead?



Looking back along the path, the river is babbling, the birds are singing and the breeze rustles the leaves on the trees, is that glimmer of light the sun rays or a spirit of the wood? Well what do you think? All of us need places like this where we can be at one with nature.

8 comments:

Naturegirl said...

Thank you so very much for this visit
to a mytical forest in your world! We can all find these treasures if we just take the time. Isn't it wonderful that we can share with one another by posting on our blogsites!! Gift From The Sea has and always will be one of my favorite books!! I also journal quotes or inspiring words I read or hear! :)

Alice said...

You mention that the wood may have been like the one where Little Red Riding Hood went walking. When we lived in England in 1993 we so often had the feeling when we drove into a village for the first time, that we were driving through the pages of a storybook. You see, we grew up with books that were mostly set in England, in typical English villages. Thirteen years on and I still love England.

Fiona said...

Daisy, you posted on my blog about atc's adn altered books. You are in luck. A great supplier lives in your neck of the woods in Winderemere but she is mail order only. Check out this link http://www.thefruitpixie.co.uk

Also, please come and join us over at a wonderful UK forum http://www.amethystdragonfly.co.uk/forums/ Say Fiona sent you!

WE can do a one to one atc swap too if you like too

VintagePretty said...

What a beautiful idyll, so removed from many people's daily lives now. I love that others are also embracing nature, it's so good to read everyones experiences from a distance.

The possible-butterbur is growing in a slightly boggy patch of ground on a hill, not really wet boggy, but it can get that way when it rains - as the rain falls down the hill and gathers at that point.

Have a wonderful weekend!

Jeremy said...

What a marvellous place. Wonderful photographs too. It's nice to see one of the green corridors of Cumbria in contrast to the usual lakes and hills (not that they are to be sniffed at).

Rosa said...

Oh I love these photographs and your writings. That old path is so pretty and enchanting. May I add you to my favorite list?

vicci said...

These are so beautiful...what a lovely area! Gift From the Sea...is an awesome book!

Tinker said...

These photos are so lovely - I feel like I've visited an enchanted forest! The last ones made me think of the The Wind In the Willows - I half-expected to see Mole or Ratty or Mr. Toad :-) Thank you for sharing them!