Saturday, June 17, 2006


One of my favourite walks in the village takes me down a bridle path, which is edged on one side with cultivated fields and on the other with a copse, which is eventually replaced by fields, then the church and churchyard. The copse is beautiful, and these are photographs of it. Whenever I see the copse the lines 'I know a bank where the wild thyme blows...' go through my head, although that's not what grows here, it just is another of those magical places. The photographs from a few weeks ago show it carpeted with bluebells in the spring sunlight. I think you can just make out the blue carpet across the middle of the photo. As the bluebell season progresses all you can see is this wonderful blue. Then slowly as the spring season progresses the bluebells die, the undergrowth springs up to cover them and the canopy of leaves on the trees becomes denser. The sweet innocence of the bluebells is replaced by a darker flowering.



Up spring the ferns, slightly reptilian and primordial and with them, the foxgloves, tall spires of deep pink velvety bells with their spotted brown interiors. What is hiding under these ferns and behind the foxgloves watching your passing?




As summer moves onward those ferns become denser and the tree canopy thicker, just occasional slats of sunlight hit the copse floor, it is a cool dark place in the heat of the summers day, but would it entice you to linger and rest within its confines, or would you be scared to sleep and fall under an enchantment, from which when you woke you would find the world had passed you by and minutes had become years.



Best to pass the copse by without lingering, especially when evening is nigh and the church bell tolls calling honest workers back to their supper, best to hurry on to where you can see the spire of the church ahead of you to the safety of the churchyard and through the kissing gate, down the steps and along the road to home, safe from the temptations of enchantment.

I hope you have enjoyed this embroidered magical walk with me along the bridle path, but it is a walk where you can let your imagination roam unfettered. I do enjoy looking at photographs I have taken of places of beauty and weaving a story around them, try it, it is such fun. The picture of the church is taken from around the bend in the river late in the day, sorry if it has printed rather darkly. It is just so lovely to have my scanner working properly again and be able to upload photographs I want to show you all.

I just want to thank all the new friends who have commented and, of course, all of the old friends who continue to visit, I am enjoying my blog so much, and I check on yours just about every day, although I don't always leave a comment. We all have so many ideas we can exchange and we can learn so much from each other.

7 comments:

Boxwood Cottage said...

What a lovely walk! Thanks for taking us!

You have to meet Marion from http://reflectionthroughtheseasons.blogspot.com/ She lives in the beautiful county of Wales and is also doing walks through the stunning nature with her readers!

Annie Jeffries said...

I walked on your bridel path this morning (it's 7 a.m. here) and it was the most perfect start to my day. I considered laying down a blanket and going back to sleep but reconsidered as you cautioned wariness.

Gena said...

Oh how beautiful! we visit the Lake district often,I think it is like a piece of heaven which has fell to earth,we like to stay in Grasmere,your photos make me want to go back!

Alice said...

Thank you for your embroidered little story - I really felt like I was there. I wasn't tempted to take a blanket out and lay on the grass here because it's covered in frost. The sun is shining from a clear blue sky though, so it should be a lovely day.

Thank you so much for your snippets of England - almost my favourite country.

Naturegirl said...

What a beautiful post!! I feel as though we your visitors are all walking hand in hand through this peaceful woodland garden! I love "the kissing bridge" humm could I create this in my garden!! The last photo of the church whispers..."a poem please."
thank you for the mention in your June 11 post! You MUST read "Night Gardening" by E.L.Swan!! Sit out in the garden while you read this story of two hearts forever restored in the healing garden!

Sherri Williams said...

I truly enjoyed the walk. What lovely pictures. Thank you for sharing them.

Naturegirl said...

Daisy L. I had to come back(after reading your comment).. the name of book is "Night Gardening" yes Amazon does have copies.