Sunday, June 04, 2006


Every year since I moved into this cottage I have grown some giant sunflowers, because I love their big yellow heads and also for the fun of seeing how high they will grow. Two years ago I grew the tallest ones so far, last year's were quite good but I do not know how good they will be this year, as I tried a variety I have not grown before 'Russian Giant' and I was disappointed in the amount that germinated, and in their rate of growth since. With the bad weather we had last month and the slow growth of the small plants I cannot see that this year's batch will make for a record year. These photos are of my sunflowers in the summer of 2004. What I love about them is that you can keep the heads to feed the birds as the Autumn draws in.



Great excitement for me this morning, the first of my poppy flowers has opened, a beautiful enormous red oriental poppy. I am so pleased there are seventeen flower heads on this poppy plant to open, and my pale pink oriental poppy has sixteen heads, many more than last year, but I suppose they are more mature plants by now. Two dahlias are also pushing out of the ground and some other bulbs, I think they are called liatris? which I have not grown before. I will post some photos of my poppies as soon as I finish the film I am using [I have not gone digital in cameras yet].



I have been filling the house with vases of lilac, I adore the smell of it, I know it doesn't last a long time but what a beautiful fragrance while it does. It is a sign to me that summer has begun, I have associated the smell of lilac with the beginning of summer since I was a child. Are there any fragrances that epitomise summer to you? We have also had our first meals in the garden this week, it's so lovely eating outside, I always think food tastes better in the open air. Last night when I went to bed, for the first time the night through the open window actually smelt warm and earthy, you can't beat the smells and fragrances of the earth and flowers on summer nights. Night is falling later and later and dawn is coming earlier and earlier, it is wonderful waking up in a grey dawn light and realising it is only four in the morning, and going back to sleep for another couple of hours.

7 comments:

David (Snappy) said...

how do you post pictures?do you scan real photographs?I have nine sunflower little leos growing,and two full sized ones from dropped bird seeds i think.I love sunflowers and they are prodigious in the amount of seed per sunflower!Birds love them too.keep posting, i love your cumbrian garden blog!

David (Snappy) said...

oops i wanted to say my childhood scents are lilac (my nans sister said i stood in her garden transfixed by the lilac tree),cut grass is another smell.Any flower that smells real nice.As i found today my snapdragon flower buds smelled of candy.The beetles are going mad around the buds, so i flicked them off and smelled.mmm, smell is underused in gardens i think.I want to visit an RHS garden near harrogate with a sensory garden.Will write about it when i do.

Naturegirl said...

I love to wake up to the sounds of the birds chirping away! I go into the garden and just sit listening to their songs! I like that you save the head of sunflowers and feed the birds! You know naturegirl is all for feeding our
garden visitors.My sign that summer is around the corner is the scent of lilacs and peonies!!!! oh and glorious roses!!!

Alice said...

Have you noticed how the sunflowers turn their heads towards the sun as it moves across the sky during the day? I loved seeing whole fields of sunflowers in Switzerland when visiting my daughter.

Your poppies are certainly prolific this year. Photo, please?

VintagePretty said...

I am completely envious! Your gorgeous sunflowers and the most recent David Austen catalogue - you lucky thing! I've been waiting for mine to arrive, I hope it comes soon!

Rosa said...

I want to move in next door to you. Can I? You have such lovely tastes. I love lilacs but mine haven't grown enough to get good blooms. I moved two small sapplings from my mom's house when we moved here. They are doing well, but still quite little. I can't wait until they get large enough to cut and bring in to the house. Your lilac photo brings back such fond memories of my mom's house (she now lives with us at 82). Thanks for sharing!

Miss Robyn said...

Daisy - I just wanted to say that your blog delights me as I read through the archives. I want to come live next door too, like Rosa!