Friday, June 09, 2006




The weather has been sensational all week, and I am not complaining, but I decided it was so hot today that I would just spend it leisurely sitting in the garden alternating between sunny and shady parts. First though, I went out into the garden early, and made many trips with my watercans to feed my thirsty plants before the sun reached them, then I pricked out my last two trays of seedlings. I then settled down in my garden chair to undertake another of my favourite activities, reading. After reading for a while I began to think about books I have enjoyed as a child, mainly because over the course of the past week there have been mentions in different blogs about books enjoyed in childhood and sometimes read again in adulthood because they were so loved or for comfort reading. I then thought I would make a list of my ten best childhood books and post it for anyone who is interested. Note the ten are not in order of most loved, they are all loved and just randomly numbered. Here goes then:-

1. The Secret Garden
2. Ballet Shoes
3. The Borrowers
4. Anne of Green Gables [or any of the Anne books]
5. What Katy Did [again, all the Katy books]
6. Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass
7. Girl of the Limberlost
8. Little Women [and again, the rest of the Little Women boks]
9. All Nancy Drew Mysteries
10. All Famous Five books [ Even though they get a bad press these days]

There are many more books that I adored as a child, but strangely, some I missed, that I only picked up later as a dippy hippy teenager or to read to my children, such as the Narnia series and 'The Wind in the Willows'. As a younger child my very faviourite books were Milly, Molly, Mandy stories, I used to love the map of the village on the inside pages and trace my way with my finger round the village to and from Milly, Molly, Mandy's house. What books did you love as children?



I am posting, by popular request, another photo of my cat Pixie, this photo was taken when she was a year old and she is sitting in the dining room window. I am due to take more photos of her shortly, and I will post them when I have taken them and got them printed, I am also in the process of taking this year's photos of my garden which I will continue to photo all summer, I will start posting them as soon as I finish films and get them printed.

For a while I have been interested in doing some ATC cards and other collage work, the only collage work I have done so far is in one of my journals. I am very excited because I asked a lovely blogger for some advice which she happily gave and she offered to do a one to one swop with me of a ATC. I am very excited about this and already thinking of different ideas for the card. I will let you know how I get on.

6 comments:

Rosa said...

Thank you so much for visiting me! I am so glad you did because we have so much in common! I will need to catch up with you! Love your kitty, so pretty. (My all-time fav book as a child was The Borrowers!) I am going to start reading your posts and see what you've been up to! Enjoy the nice weather.

Naturegirl said...

You have made Pixie an internet celebrity! She is gorgeous!! A great book to take out into the garden with you is Night Gardening by E.L.Swan!! It is an enchanting journey into a real and metaphorical garden. A story of love and healing that celebrates passion in all its forms. I have read it twice and just suggested it to my bookclub!

Gina E. said...

Pixie is sooooo sweet...but aren't all cats?! I am constantly amazed by the number of ladies I find whose blogs mirror my own childhood memories and favourites. I adored Milly Molly Mandy; in fact I found one of those books in a thrift shop recently and had to buy it! Enid Blyton was my overall favourite writer, but I also loved (and still re-read) most of the Anne books, Pollyanna, and Little Women series. I read a few of What Katy Did, but they must not have had the same appeal, because I can hardly remember them now.

Boxwood Cottage said...

That sounds like the perfect summer day to me! I've enjoyed reading in my deck chair in the garden too in the last few weeks and I've read between others the Engl. version of The Secret Garden and Anne of Green Gables. Crazy eh? I loved them both! Reading not to complicated written Engl. books is a good language training for me.

Miss Robyn said...

I love the Borrowers. that is another one of the times when I knew fairies or little people did exist. Thankyou so much for reminding me !! Pixie is adorable. I feel like I am needing a cat. thanks for being supportive on daily parcels too xoxo my new blog is up and running - simply being in this life xoxo

Helen said...

I grew up reading all of the books you've mentioned as well as all of the other Enid Blyton books and Grimm's and Anderson's Fairy Tales.I always had my nose stuck in a book.You've brought back many childhood memories.
So glad I found your blog.I live in Australia having emigrated in 1969. Love it here but do still miss
all of the historical places we used to visit back then.