Wednesday, June 21, 2006


I am making today's post what I call a 'scrap bag' post, it's all sorts of odds and ends I keep meaning to mention. Also posting quite a few images because I want the post to look cheerful as we are in the middle of a bout of dreadful weather. After almost two weeks of lovely sunshine and just about living in the garden, the weather has turned. I cheered the first day it rained as I knew how much the garden would relish it. A few days on, I am more subdued, the temperature has dropped, the rain has been lashing down and to make matters worse we have had very heavy winds. The sort of winds that gust and make me start fretting about the taller plants in the garden, although most of them are staked. It is the summer solstice, the longest day today, and I had hoped to spend it in the garden celebrating the goodness of summer, light days, garden growth. This weather is just not right for this time of year, something is wrong, I think Earth, the planet we live on, is upset by the way we treat it. My cat, Pixie, hates this weather, the wind, especially, makes her capricious, her fur is sticking up on end and her ears are pricked as she rushes around the house, eyes flashing green. She can't settle, she pops her head outside and then decides 'no way', but she is missing her sunning spots in the garden.

I am posting another of my window images, this one by Dufy, a cheerful summer view of the landscape. Just look out that window and take a deep breath, smell the wonderful scents of thyme and oregano, feel the early morning breeze in your hair and listen to the sound of the birds. Hmm that's better.

I have been busy this afternoon, after doing necessary chores this morning, I carried on with my ripping articles out of magazines, [see many posts back] in my declutter mode. Also made a list of boxes I need to make, to sort craft materials of various sorts in. Yes I am a great listmaker, I run my life with lists. I have lists of lists, notebooks full of lists, ah but the satisfaction of crossing items off a list. My daughter is an avid list maker too, she blames it all on me. Are you reading this Sweetpea? Also made three more ATC's for another blogger, who has asked to swop with me. I am really loving this altered work and now I realise how much I love doing it I must stock up on things like better scissors, some new crayons and paints. Yummy another of my favourite occupations, stationery shopping, my husband ponders on why women are crazy for stationery. I think it stems back to when we were little girls, colouring in, paper dolls, writing secret diaries, playing post offices.

I have posted the image of this vintage couple opposite, because a fellow blogger Vintage Pretty, was getting married today. I am sure we all wish that her and her new husbands 'cups runneth over with happiness' and that they have a contented future together.

I think with this dreary weather that I need to have a comfort evening tonight, also to get away from all the football matches that are on the television. I think I will indulge in some magazine reading, hot chocolate and fresh buttered toast for supper and watch a dvd either 'Howards End' or 'Room with a View' two of my favourite films you can't beat Merchant Ivory films for beautiful settings and costumes. If I could be in film it would have to be one of these. Does anyone else love these two films?

To finish off today I am posting a fairy picture by Margaret Tarrant, just to keep reminding everyone that it is Fairy Day this Saturday. Hope the weather will improve by then and on this midsummer's eve we can sit out in the garden and perhaps like these children watch the fae people dance around us, that is if we are very quiet, have left them some food and do not disturb them. Oh what fun it will be and what tales we will have to tell, as long as we are not enchanted by them and follow them to their bowers. Remember that and to help I'll leave you with this quote. 'Out of this wood do not desire to go: Thous shalt remain here, whether thou wilt or no. I am a spirit of no common rate: The summer still doth tend upon my state....' Titania, 'A Midsummer Night's Dream'

5 comments:

Tracy said...

I love the fairy picture. Lovely post - thanks for sharing!

Annie Jeffries said...

Lovely reflection of your day. Fairy Day? I've never heard of this but then I live across the pond. Is this a British tradition?

Miss Robyn said...

ms*daisy - I love your blog more each time I visit.

Miss Robyn said...

Daisy - just popping by to say I am away for the weekend - see you when I come home - blessings xoxo

Naturegirl said...

I am surrounded with tales of fairies, prince and princesses,snips and snails and puppy dog tales here with my young grandchildren! They love your fairies photo as do I!! Yes global warming is a concern for us all!!