Friday, June 30, 2006


Today I went into my local town to look for some plants to finish off my garden and a shrub for Pixie. No problem at all in finding a shrub, but there was not much choice in the selection of plants and too many of them looked as though they had lived in their small pots too long. However I did buy two cuphea hyssopifolia, I have never seen these before but one has pretty little blue flowers and the other has white ones, and they are supposed to flower from May to October.

I came back home, went out into the garden and suddenly decided that one of my small flowerbeds was becoming a bit wild. The trouble is that I just filled it this year with plants I was given, and there was quite a bit of guess work involved in what some of the plants were. Now a lot of them are in flower I see that a number of them are too tall for the bed and are blocking my pots of flowers behind the bed. I think a bit of shuffling around is called for and some will have to move to spaces at the back of other beds. I hope they will transplant ok but they certainly cannot stay where they are.

This afternoon I cut back my poppies as their flowering time is over. I collected all the seedheads on long stalks and tied them in bunches, they will hang upside down in the barn to dry out with paper bags over the heads to collect the seeds. When they have dried they will look lovely in vase as part of a dried arrangement.



This photograph taken at the beginning of June shows how the shady spots between my kitchen and barn are shaping up. Everything in this area is grown in pots or whimsical things like old baskets and kettles. The petunias are a lot more mature now. You can just see the old brown kettle with ivy and periwinkle in it.



This photograph shows my fern and some of my hostas. The fern was a tiny little thing when it was first put out in a pot. I don't know if you can see but just behind the basket handle to the left of the hosta there is a solid green tube, this is the stem of an old bird bath, the basin of it is filled with pots of calendulas and nasturtiums, and when they are flowering I will take a photo of the whole area.



Another selection of my hostas against the sandstone wall of the barn. This shady spot does get a little very early morning sun that shines onto the plants through the slatted bars of the fence. I am surprised at how well the petunias are turning out with just that little bit of sunlight.



I just couldn't resist showing you this photograph of my largest red poppy flower, I have never grown one that large before. Everyone that has visited my garden has commented on its size.

I have decided to make tomorrow a 'me' day, and as it is supposed to be sunny I am going to spend it in the garden pottering about and sitting reading my book and some magazines I bought in the town yesterday. After my 'me' day I will have to get busy in the house as my daughter is coming up from London to stay with us for a few days, and I need to get tidying, cooking and baking.

I must just add as a final piece about Pixie, that we had a lovely sympathy card in the mail this morning, from the staff at the animal shelter where she came from. I thought this was a simple but lovely gesture, and they also said in the longterm if we wanted another cat they would be happy for us to house another of theirs. How comforted I felt, although I know that sounds silly, but I just felt pleased that they thought we were blameless and had done a good job with looking after her.

10 comments:

Miss Robyn said...

oh sweetie - Pixie had a wonderful time with you and in no way was this your fault. It was just her time to go to heaven - I believe cats have souls too. I am glad that you found a lovely shrub for her - when it flowers you will be reminded of the days that you spent with her. much love always dear Daisy xoxo

Miss Robyn said...

oh and enjoy your me day - all goddesses should have one every now and then! xo

RusticateGirl said...

I am envious of your poppies! The hot humid climate here prevents me from growing them, not worth it, sigh.

Don't shy away from buying plants that seem to have been in their pots too long. I buy alot like this (sometimes you don't have a choice) and within 2-4 weeks they really flourish. Makes me feel like a good samaritan or something LOL :-)

Beth said...

Lovely photos Daisy,,I am a hosta lover too,,I try to find different ones every year. I also try to find the poor little plants who have been over looked,,I try to rescue them and bring them back. I bought some geraniums at Walmart a month ago for 50 cents,,they looked pathetic,,now they are awesome. It does make you feel good when you rescue them.
Your flowers are so very pretty!

Carole Burant said...

Your flowers are all so beautiful and healthy looking..I love the way you use old pots, baskets, etc to plant them in. I always get so many ideas from my blogging friends:-) What a lovely thought for the shelter to send you the sympathy card...I've no doubt you were quite touched by it! Enjoy your "me" day, we all need one of those once in a while:-)

Sigruns German Garden said...

Daisy, I see, you also like the hostas! I love them.

Sigrun

Sigruns German Garden said...

Daisy, I see, you also like the hostas! I love them.

Sigrun

Sweetpea said...

The garden looks beautiful as ever! I can't wait to see it for the first time this summer next week! See you very soon, xxxx

Annie Jeffries said...

Such a pretty garden Daisy.

I had to laugh at your post to my Grateful Friday. I'm a terrible hoarder too. Just ask my husband. LOL And I do exactly what you do - I tear the articles out of the magazines and then toss the remains. Later, MUCH later, I go through the articles and do more tossing. Happy decluttering, Daisy.

Rosa said...

Poppies are my favorite too. But I can't grow them either. Boo hiss. I know you are still sad from losing Pixie (my Bud got hit a couple of years ago--the kids think he just ran off) and it still breaks my heart. I received this poem when we lost him, and it makes me feel better when I read it:
http://rainbowsbridge.com/Poem.htm