Tuesday, October 03, 2006


The mailman knocked on my door at 9.15 this morning, with a lovely surprise for me. The 6x6 DL Friendship Piece that Lottie made for me. I really like it, it reminds me of my of how my garden was in summer and I can look at it in winter when I feel blue. I have uploaded a picture of it opposite. I got so involved in organising the project and making my piece and ensuring they went out on time, that I completely forgot the fact that I would be receiving a piece myself.

I am really pleased with the way the project is shaping up and I feel that everyone seems to be enjoying it. I am sure that at some point next year someone will perhaps feel like organising something similar.



Kai posted a lovely piece on her site about where in your home you feel serenity and asked where abouts in our houses we felt it. This got me thinking and I decided there are two really serene rooms in my home. The first is the living room we spend our evenings in. The walls we left white and it being an old room, we also left the plaster with all its bumps and lumps because that added to the ambience of the room. I just have very thin muslin curtains at the windows in cream. The carpet is a plain dark green which veers towards blue. On top of that in the centre of the room we have a flokati. Our settee is brown our club chair is black and our reclining chair is cream, believe me those colours work. The colours in the room come from cushions and throws in rich winter colours gold and burdgandy with textures such as velvet, satin and silk. The highlight of the room is a painted chinese screen. We have a low coffe table chest with 12 tiny drawers, which is covered with books, buddhas alabaster eggs in a bowl and other trinkets. We always burn candles in the evening and insense. You come in and sit down and a great air of tranquilty overtakes you.
Nearly all the ornaments are exotic bits and pieces I have collected or being given as gifts. All year round I have a vintage jug of branches in the window with fairylights twined in them to add to the magical feeling. Of course, the Green Man hangs above the fireplace watching over the house. If you are interested you can see parts of the room in an old posting I made in September, I think, with my daughter photographed, in the room wearing her beautiful pink dress.



The other room I have almost got fitting the state of tranquility I love, is our bedroom. This is painted a pale bluebell and above the bed I have hung a row of blue fairylights which give a beautifully relaxed light. I have a long string of beautiful pink fabric butterflies hanging down one wall and a string of mirrors and pewter fairies with peacock blue wings on another. Bunches of lavender hang all around as do hooks with my beads on. I also have a small wall of my embroidered handbag collection. The window in my bedroom never fails to calm me. It is an old casement window with a deep window ledge, the wall is about 10inches thick. I don't have curtains just a drape of pale shimmering blue voile wound round and round the curtain rail and hanging down at one end. I have some really soft windchimes hanging in the window, that gently chime in the night when there is a breeze and crystals and a mini mirror ball that makes magic orbs all around my room walls when the moonlight hits it. I have a large papier mache crescent moon hanging at the side recess of the window. The room is nearly in the state I really want it. I must get round to taking some photographs of these two rooms and posting them on here.



I have finally finished the Time Traveller's Wife. It was a wonderful book, if any of you haven't read it do so as soon as you can. It is just so good, both on the level of an beautiful inspiring romance and for the questions it raises about reality and time. I just so enjoyed it, definitely one to go on my books that influenced me list. I have now started Wicked by Gregory Maguire, it has taken me ages to get hold of this book. I wanted to read it because it is the book that the musical Wicked is based. This has just opened in London and I am hoping to get to see it next year sometime with Sweetpea. It is one of those books that you just fall straight into and know you are going to love it. Has anybody read this or know anything about this Gregory Maguire?

I went to visit my mother today and was very naughty, I had to pass a charity shop on the way and whoops, well I just had to stop but I scored some cool things, a deep blue casserole dish with lid for my yellow kitchen. A lovely painted pottery Portugese plate for my dining room, and a small blue and white ginger jar and four blue and white rice bowls. All for £5. Can't be bad. I must behave myself for a while now with two charity shop raids and a glitter blowout within the last week.



Don’t forget to join in Daisy Lupins’
Halloween Ghost Story Posting
Post a ghost story, something strange that happened
To you or a tale you want to tell
On 31st October, or as near to before
As possible.
Let’s have a Giant Story Circle



12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your home sounds like a magical place Daisy, just what I would expect from you. Your bedroom sounds especially restful with all the blue, and sparkly bits. You must post pictures..okay I'm nosey, I hold my hand up..!

Lisa said...

I would love to see pics of your room. It does sound magical, as Sheila said. I am working on some little things to add a little enchantment to my home and this inspires me a great deal.

I like your friendship piece. How fun that you kind of forgot you'd get one and then there it was. Funny, I had never seen the rainbow rick rack before until Sunday and I almost bought some. It looks really nice on the 6x6.

I have suddenly acquired about 6 books that I just "had to have" so when I finish these up I'll be looking for the one you recommended for sure.

Lisa Oceandreamer Swifka said...

OK miss Daisy I do believe photos of your home are in order. It sounds lovely and inviting and very magical. I ususally have more whimsy and magic around but for some reason my house took on the same sleep walk I was in...it's slowly coming back!!!
The friendship piece is so completely charming, I love the dragonflies! I'm the same way, I forget I will get some too!
and one final thing...you can't imagine my book stack and in it from some time ago is still The Time Travellers Wife AND Wicked..I used to read a book nearly ever 2 days, that is lacking too. Oh the comeback I have!! sorry, long comment
XOXO

Janet said...

The friendship piece is so sweet and colorful....very Spring-like.

Your house sounds wonderful. I love candles and wind chimes and little fairylights. Do, please, post some photos when you have time. I'm such a voyeur!!

Naturegirl said...

The photo with the butterflys certainly is cheerfull!Nice work!The photo of the house is so.o.o. spooky..a good story could be written about it.Those fairy lites with branches sounds enchanting!

Tinker said...

What a fun, whimsical piece of fabric art! Love the dragonflies.

Your home sounds enchanting and serene. For some reason your description of the deep casement window in your bedroom especially captivated me - you described it so well, I feel I can almost see it. It sounds lovely.

Lila Rostenberg said...

Have been out of town on a road trip....lots to catch up on! It is lovely to see what you received in the mail! I also very much like your fabric art portrait and the Daisy Fae podling!

couragetocreatewriteandlove said...

I am imagining your house, I will look for that posting to try to see it. Now, your friendship piece is beautiful and It makes me wonder if I can create something as beautiful as yours and the one you made for Miss Robin and your pods.

Carole Burant said...

That friendship piece is just gorgeous!! Love the colours in it!!! Loved hearing about the rooms in your house you feel most serene in...I think mine is my computer room. I have all my collections, memoriabilia, etc, in here and I just feel like I'm surrounded by everything that gives me pleasure:-)Hugs xox

Mary Bee said...

I would love to tell a true ghost story experience I had. I will post it on Halloween, for sure.

Beth said...

Wow Daisy,,I just love the desription of your beautiful home! I think my bedroom and art room are my faves. So glad you liked Mom's friendship piece. She does such good art espiecally with having Parkinsons. Hope you have a lovely Thursday evening.
xoxoxo

Miss Robyn said...

you know, I could have sworn that I commented here.
great 6 X 6!
I love your idea of only having candles on in the evening. I am going to start doing that! not sure how it will go down, but too bad :)
Your home sounds just like I imagine an english cottage to be.
I am going to take a few of your ideas - I had fairy lights in my bedroom but took them down when we painted it - wait - blue :) and I love the idea of branches with lights in them. perfect! is it ok if I copy?
your home sounds like a magickal place - we could do a house swap :)