Wednesday, October 11, 2006


Well this has been one hell of a week and it is only Wednesday evening, I don't know whether to laugh or cry, I seem to have been taking some hefty slaps from life and some mildly strange things seem to be happening.

I have been concentrating on my Mother on Monday and Tuesday. She has severe arthritis and diabetes, she has been in terrible pain with her hip all weekend. She phoned me on Monday morning saying she couldn't stand the pain, I organised a doctor to visit her, and said I would come through on Tuesday. Tuesday morning, she phoned me at eight to say she had, had to phone careline, to put her to bed she couldn't walk. The doctor was to visit her again that morning. I rushed over there, by which time she had decided she was riddled with bone cancer. Unfortunately, my Mother always looks for the worst scenario. I managed to talk to the doctor without her and we decided she should go to A & E for an x-ray to make sure her hip wasn't broken. It wasn't, there was nothing they could do it was just severe arthritis. I sorted my mother our and returned home. My mother is housebound and in pain, obviously she is really low, she can't expect to get any better and must make the best of what life she has. Sometimes life can be so hard. She is determined no to move from her flat though. Though she understands I have her name on a list for sheltered accommodation near our village.

However I was pleased to talk to the doctor who told me in no uncertain terms, that I should under no circumstances feel guilty about my Mother. She stressed the fact that nothing I can do can help her, that my Mother has not adapted well to being a widow and that, combined with her illnesses, has left her with no joy in life and the feeling enough is enough and she is just treading water. Sad though this is, I am so aprreciative of the docor taking time to chat to me like that, and I just want to say to all of you who read my postings and are in the same position, please take those words to heart that the doctor told me. We are not cruel, we have done our best and there is NO need for guilt trips.

These two collages I have posted are 4x4inch chunky book pages for a swap I am taking part in. The top one at the right is called 'The bird brought loving thoughts from her admirer' and the one opposite is called 'Two cherubs take a walk though the flowers'.

I am hoping, as long as there are no more crisis, to complete moving into my new artroom. I have left the walls white, as I can't wait to get started working in there. Maybe after Christmas I will put some coloured paint on the walls, but I have got to admit the walls look very nice white with colourful prints and posteres, plus they reflect the light making it light for working. I have been trailing in and out of rooms all day, moving stuff around, nearly every room upstairs looks like a complete tip that someone has been rummaging in. I will take tomorrow to, fingers crossed, finish off and if I am lucky by the weekend I will be working properly in it.


Mildly strange things that have been happening. Well the first isn't really strange. At long last, when I was returning on the dark country roads from my Mother's last night, there was the most beautiful orange heavy gigantic harvest moon rising inbetween the trees and hedgerows, obviously not full now, but magnficient all the same. It had beautiful stripes of inky cloud splashed across it, then they would clear, then more would appear. Just simply gorgeous, and it did sooth my troubled spirit.


Then later, I was sitting reading in the chair, my husband was in the bath and I heard the tinkle of the bell that Pixie had on her collar. So I said 'Is that you Pixie?' and the bell tinkled again. The other night as I went up the stairs to bed I turned and looked at the kitchen doorway and there she was just sitting there. I get the feeling the time is coming to be thinking about getting another cat, I feel deeply that that is what she wants us to do.

Thinking about my last posting about the gentleman on the bus, and reading your comments, I am almost decided to take the same bus home from town as him, and go all the way and see where he disembarks. Well most of me wants to do that, but wouldn't it be awful if he got off the bus and went into a nondescript house, everything would be shattered? Perhaps, I shall just continue to observe him for now.

The other lovely thing last night was that a blogging friend had sent me an email to say there was a book illustrated by Beshlie, whom we both adore, for sale on ebay if I was quick. I was quick and I scored it. Wheeeey! So I am really looking forward to that arriving. Thank you P.G.

Don’t forget to join in Daisy Lupins’
Halloween Ghost Story Posting
Post a ghost story, something strange that happened
To you or a tale you want to tell
On 31st October, or as near to before
As possible.
Let’s have a Giant Story Circle


20 comments:

Miss Robyn said...

big hugs to you dear daisy xoxo sometimes our mothers, much as we love them, can send us spiralling into guilt trips. We both need to tell ourselves that we have done the best we can - blessings to you xox see you when I come home xo

Rowan said...

I'm sorry about your mum, sounds like she's having a hard time,you too. The doctor is right though, the only person who can help her is herself.
I saw that big orange moon too, it was so beautiful, it's been rather a special one this month.

Anonymous said...

So sorry to hear that your Mum is unwell.It's funny that Pixie came to you , when you needed a furry friend, with all the unconditional love they have.Your collages as always are super.
I haven't seen the moon for a couple of nights, we have had torrential rain. I always love that big orange moon, I'm so envious..!

Anonymous said...

Daisy so sorry to hear about your mom. But glad nothing was broken. Love both collages. Keep a eye out for your new cat. Bet you will not have a choice. The kitty will pick you.

Jerri said...

Blessings to you and to your mom, Daisy, dear.

My mom had surgery last week and is in great pain right now, too. It's so hard to see them that way. Thanks for sharing the dr.'s words. I needed to hear them right now.

Your collage work is stunning. Love them all, but the first one here simply stops me in my tracks. Beyond lovely. Great title, too.

Let us know how the move into the new workroom progresses. And take care of you.

Carole Burant said...

Ever since my dad died 26 years ago, my mom has relied on me and sometimes I get to a point I just want to hide. I love my mom but between her loneliness and depression, she's kept me on my toes!! Last winter I got to talk to a crisis counsellor and just like your mom's doctor told you, I was not to feel guilty about anything!!

Annie Jeffries said...

Dear Daisy, It sounds like you are struggling with many of the same aging parent issues I've been dealing with. I hope your mom will move soon. When my mom moved to assisted living, her life improved immeasurably. Of course, now she is nearing the end, but as I grow in acceptance, I can look back on the good times she had before she became so ill. God bless you, Daisy. Annie

natural attrill said...

Hello Daisy, I do feel for you, it is a very difficult position to be in.
A few years ago I discussed with my Mum the idea of moving out of her flat and into some kind of sheltered accomodation. She lived by herself and had become quite depressed and not motivated to look after herself properly. I live NE of manchester, and she was living in London. I arranged for carers to visit 3 times a day to help her, and nurses came to give her insulin, but it wasnt working very well. Mum said that she wanted to stay in her flat, although if she ever had to move she would like to live near us. In the end the decision was taken out of our hands when she had a stroke and the Dr.s would not discharge her home by herself. Now Mum has recovered well from the stroke and lives in a residential home 5 mins away from our house, she is well looked after and we can all visit little and often, which is the best way for us!
It was so difficult getting the phone calls for help, I felt sorry but also very resentful too.
Before Mum had her stroke, she was assesed by a social worker who gave me a long and very helpful lecture on how I shouldnt get so involved and feel guilty all the time.
I hope things work out for you and your Mum. Try not to feel guilty, do what you can for your Mum, but remember, you have your own life to lead.
Best of luck with it all.
Thinking of you.
Penny.

Shelley said...

Ah...So sorry to hear you had a rough week Daisy. We put hubby's mom in a nursing home. Nothing is easy when parents become our charge. Hang in there and do your best. The bright moon is a blessing sent to you for comfort. Take care.

Janet said...

I'm sorry to hear about your mom. I'm sure you are doing all that you can for her. But ultimately she is the only one who can help make her life better. Attitude is very important to health.

We've been seeing that big harvest moon, too. Gorgeous!!

couragetocreatewriteandlove said...

I am sorry to hear all of this. I hope knowing that you have been tagged with a meme cheers you a little, please whenever you have the time and only if you wish to do it.

tlchang said...

Daisy - good luck with your feelings about your mom. I know that can be so wrenching.

I've kept an eye out for our moon on this side of the Atlantic since your first mention awhile back - but it has stayed cooly white, or cloud covered the nights that I looked for it. Glad you got to spend some time with a harvest moon.

And enjoy your new workroom! There is nothing better than your own space dedicated to your own creativity!

Lisa said...

Hugs and hugs. It's so hard feeling helpless where our loved ones are concerned. I'm sorry she's in such a tough place in life.

The rest of your week sounds pretty cool. I was at a friend's house (apartment) once and we were just sitting chatting in her living room. I suddenly caught the image of a cat for a second and then it disappeared. I looked at her (my friend) and she looked at me and said "did you just see that cat?" lol she said it showed up sometimes like that in shadows but she had never been able to actually find a cat. spooky, huh? :)

Love your chunky book pages. Did you use watercolor paper?

J C said...

I can only send you cyberhugs (((Daisy))). You are a good daughter but don't be feeling any guilt. The universe gives us what is ours and though you may ache for your mom's pain and her lack of understanding it all, it is her destiny, as it may be ours one day. Thoughtful words and attention is the best you can do for her. If only she would go to the sheltered place. If only.....(I tell my daughter with the severly handicapped child the same, to no avail). Pixie is giving you love.

J C said...

It's me again. I didn't get to finish what I wanted to say. (I have an eye problem that sometimes hits me suddenly, so I had to leave the computer). Anyhow, I wanted to compliment your collages. They are lovely, especially the first one. It's good that you can keep creating through your troubling times with your mom. Perhaps, subconsciously, you were collaging about your mom....the bird was bringing love from the admirer (your mom, who always admired you simply becuz you're her child) We mothers tend to do that, huh?

Annabelle said...

Aren’t moms wonderful...you love them and at times can't stand them....hehehe
Oh well, I must admit, my mom is one of those terrible hypochondriacs and she drives me insane like yesterday when I had to say that I needed time out until she stop being so terribly depressively negative about me. I dearly love her still and very much in need of her affections but instead of arguing with her I elected to take a rest from meeting her in town.
Well, I relaxed by going alone thrift shopping when I found a little token left by an angel at a thrift shop and I might say I was quite overwhelmed. I'll post it for all you gals who have moms like mine and those of you that wish they were still here. I promise that it will fill your days and years in gratitude.
I feel for your mom, especially when one loses a soul mate it’s hard to carry on when every day is a reminder of them…must be such a terribly heartache to suppress…hope I still have years yet with my true love.
Hope your mom feels better, don’t fret Daisy…I know it’s easier said then done but they do have a way to make you feel so guilty, not they? Your collages are beautiful and I think soon a little kitten might just make a little furry friend very happy.
P.S. Even a “nondescript house” could hold a wealth of revelations and mysteries; you never know what goes on behind closed door…hehehehe.

xo Annabelle

zuzu said...

Dearest Daisy =^..^=

This post of your mother touched me deeply ... The remark about guilt and of what the doctor spoke to you about. This is the hardest part for me. I understand what you are going through very well. My mother is slipping away bit by bit and in a great amount of pain. I wish I could make it all better but ... I can not.

Your dear sweet Pixie understands that you need her near. She wishes to comfort you. She knows her bell is the right sound to help. Remember I told you I would share a happening at the cottage? -- A neighbor had been seeing my puppy in the glass front door. Now two others have spotted her, but it really frightened the first one to see her when she found out that Turpie had passed. I guess it was the first time she had ever experienced anything like this & she explained that her dogs were the ones to allert her that something was odd.

Apparently, Princess Turple Purple waits every morning as she always did for her friends. At the door. Same place still. Same time. Every morning. Watching. I have been told that she stands up when she sees them.

I thought I was going crazy when I could hear her in the next room ... but now I know she's waiting for me to be okay. Staying near to me because I still need her.

Always trust your Pixie. She will bring you another kitty at just the perfect time. She's preparing you for the introduction. It will be with purrfect timing.

=^..^= Hugs, zU

Naturegirl said...

Daisy I know only too well the journey that you are on with your mom. I was and still am walking a very dark and frightening journey with my mom diagnosed with Alzheimers! I see a stranger before me and try desperatly to hold onto her but she is slipping through my grasp and I can only watch and try to keep MY sanity with all the stress involved.Now as for guilt in finding a home for your mom well "get over it" my therapist tells me we all have it when dealing with aging parents but we MUST prevent them from injuring themselves further and that's where assisted living homes are necessary.Hugs to you NG.

Tinker said...

Oh, gosh, Daisy - I swear this post wasn't here when I looked at your blog just yesterday!
Sending many ((Hugs)) to you!!

Tea said...

Hope your Mum can eventually get comfortably and happily settled somewhere better for her Daisy. It`s an awful feeling to live without hope. I`ve had that happen to me a few times in life myself. Praying that she can find some again.
Love your art! And the photos you cose for the post. Can`t wait to see your room.

tea
xo