Friday, October 13, 2006


First of all I want to thank all of you who left such kind comments on my site and emailed me after my last posting. There is nothing like people's understanding of your problem for somehow helping make that problem easier to handle.

Things have got no better really on that front, except that my Mother now finally has realised that she can't go on living where she is. Unfortunately, I feel if she stays this way she will not be able to eventually occupy a bungalow in the sheltered accommodation near me. She will need a ground floor flat where carers live on site to keep an eye on residents and there is someone on hand 24/7. She is not happy giving up the second bedroom she has at the moment but she never uses the second bedroom, it just accumulates rubbish. At least she is accepting changes in her future.

I spent today, finishing off the moving in to my new artroom, by putting down a lovely 6x8 ft rush mat that we had but never used, over the floorboards. I put up a cheerful yellow voile curtain at the window and it looks wonderful to me. There is only one corner of the room that has boxes still to sort, I have put a throw over them until I get round to sorting them in the next few days. Already I feel really at home sitting at the table in there. I will take photographs of it very soon.


I want to publicise 'One Day in History', which is going to happen on 17th October On that day as many people as possible are to write a blog of their day [no longer than 600 words unfortunately] and post it on the website linked below, before November, These blogs are going to be kept for future generations to give an idea of life in 2006. I think that this is a wonderful idea. I saw this first on PG's site and looked it up, they are desperate for it to be publicised. Unfortunately you have to live in Britan to take part. I certainly am, I will publish it on my blog and on theirs. I have taken an extract from their site for the next paragraph and at the end of that I have put the html of their site. Please any British bloggers that read this join in. I know as a History Graduate, how fascinating the Mass Observation Second World War Diaries of the population were, ordinary people keeping diaries about their everyday lives.

'One Day in History'
A MASS BLOG for the national record. The History Matters campaign has designated October 17 a day for the public to make historic. We have chosen 'an ordinary' weekday of no particular significance to ask you to write a one day on-line diary.
We want as many people as possible - tens of thousands of UK residents - to record a 'blog' diary of this one day to be by the British Library and others as a record of our national life.
And we want to urge people to reflect in their diaries how history itself impacted on them - whether it be simply commuting through an historic environment, or how business history influenced their decision-making, or merely that they looked up some old sports statistics or listened to some pop music from the 1960s. It could be anything.
'Ordinary' day
October 17 has been chosen deliberately as 'an ordinary' weekday of no particular significance. We want to record the mundane and ordinary lives of citizens and by doing something contributing valuable to the historic record. Material that could be used by historians and researchers for time to come.
Mass Observation
The idea is inspired by similar experiments by Mass Observation, the social history resource, founded in 1937, and which still exists today - based at the University of Sussex.
How
From the 17 October until 1 November it will be possible to add your 'One Day in History' diary on this website.
To do so you willl have to fill out a simple form. We will ask you to write your diary on the form. This can be from one word up to 650 words (about the size of one page of A4). After you have added your diary we will also ask you to fill in a few key words describing what you have written. This could be words like town names, your name, key facts. This enables the diaries to be more searchable so that you should be able to find your diary easily afterwards.

The archive thereby created will be held by the British Library, Mass Observation, the National Trust and others.

http://www.historymatters.org.uk/output/Page95.asp



I was tagged by Pretty Lady to do the Three Answer Meme, so here goes:-

1.Things that scare me:
Nuclear War
Bigoted Christian Fundamentalists
Mad Axe Men

2. People who make me laugh:
My son [he has a wicked dry sense of humour]
Peter Kay
John Cleese in 'Fawlty Towers' - [yes, I still laugh even after all these years]

3. Things I hate the most:
Red Tape
Politicans who see things in black and white with no shades of grey [example- if you do not agree with us you are a supporter of terrorism]
Nations testing nuclear bombs

4. Things I don't understand:
Tony Blair [Where is he coming from? Is he unhinged, an egotist or both?]
People who never have a flight of fancy but just moan all the time
How we allegedly found the technology to land on the moon but can't cure serious diseases

5. Things I'm doing right now:
Writing this posting obviously
Listening to Neil Young's first album
Sporadic chatter with husband who is making me a coffee in the kitchen

6. Things I want to do before I die:
Live in Ireland for a few months
Travel all around England, staying in hotels visiting small towns, I have liked the look of as I have sped through en route to somewhere else. Sometimes we overlook the beauties of England in our search for exotic lands.
Live in Cornwall for the rest of my life

7. Things I can do:
Communicate with cats
Fly on a broomstick
Tell tales around a fire

8. Ways to describe my personality:
Daydreamer extraordinaire
Changeable [either ferociously organised or completely ditsy]
Some one who will go out of their way to help a friend [but don't cross me I'm Scorpio]

9. Things I can't do:
Swim
Ride a horse
Stand on the top of a high building, mountain or cliff and look over the edge

10. Things I think you should listen to:
A cat's purr
The dawn chorus
The voice of reason on the world's political stage

11. Things you should never listen to:
People who try to put you down
People who say your project will 'never work'
Bigoted and racist talk

12. Things I'd like to learn:
The secrets of the forest
To drive a pony and trap
Excellence with herbs and crystals

13. Favorite foods:
My home made soups
Indian Food
Mexican Food

14. Beverages I drink regularly:
Coffee
Wine [ either red or white]
Pomegrante juice

15. Shows I watched as a kid:
The Woodentops
Robin Hood
Fireball XL5

16. Person’s I'm tagging to do this meme:
Anyone that cares to do it.



Don’t forget to join in Daisy Lupins’
Halloween Ghost Story Posting
Post a ghost story, something strange that happened
To you or a tale you want to tell
On 31st October, or as near to before
As possible.
Let’s have a Giant Story Circle


19 comments:

Lila Rostenberg said...

Daisy,
It is so inspiring that you are making a room for your art. The white walls are definitely a good idea as our eyesight can use all the help we can get as time goes by!
I have to work at my other job for a few days....then maybe I'll be inspired to clean/organize my art space too!
we are all struggling with helping our parents make good decisions....you write very well about that!

Janet said...

I wish I lived over there so I could participate in the One Day in History. That sounds like fun.

I enjoyed all your answers and agree with you on many of them.

Hopefully things will work out for your mom. If she is accepting change that's a good first step.

Rowan said...

The One Day in History project sounds very interesting, I've bookmarked it and will try and write for it. I used to write for Mass Observation at one time until life became too busy - not a diary but writing on the various questions that they sent on a regular basis. I enjoyed doing it, could rejoin I suppose as I still have my Mass Observation number.Love the picture at the top of your post, such wonderful rich colours and a lovely autumnal theme.

Naturegirl said...

Yes Daisy nothing better than listening to a cats purzzzzz and raindrops on rooftops!I think a black cat a "tiffany jewel" is waiting for you somewhere!I have 2 and now it's your turn.hugs NG and her 2 =^.^=
(I have a message for you see your last post)

Tinker said...

Daisy, I had to scroll down and read "yesterday's post" which wasn't there when I clicked on your link yesterday. Is Mercury retrograde again?
Anyway, I'm sorry to hear your Mom is having problems, and I'm sending you my best wishes in dealing with it - it sounds as though you've got a healthy attitude. Still, I know that can't be an easy situation - sending you ((hugs)).

Your One Day In History sounds like such a great idea. I wish we had something like that over here.

I enjoyed reading your list and hearing about your studio space. The yellow curtains are lovely!
Hope you have a wonderful weekend.
xox

Lisa said...

Oooh Daisy, I can't wait to see your studio! It sounds so comfy and inspiring already.

After reading your meme answers, I'd say we have an awful lot in common. I love that. :)

Tea said...

Enjoyed reading your meme. I`ve been tagged for it too but will probably not do it until later in the weekend.
That One Day in History sounds like such a great idea. I`d love to read them myself too.

tea
xo

Beth said...

I sure can relate to your Mum's situation. I know one day I will be there with my Mom. I sure love your MeMe,,I will try to do it on my blog soon. And your Art room sounds like its going to be so delightful.
Hope your having a great week-end Darling Daisy!!

Anonymous said...

Your Mum's situation will evolve as it should, all you can do is be supportive. My Dad went through the same thing when Mum died, and after a bad spell had to go into a sheltered apartment. Four years on and he's quite happy, sometimes it's the fear of change that makes them dig in their heels.
Your new art room will inspire you no end I'm sure. I love yellow curtains, it will look like the sun is always shining..!

Annabelle said...

Daisy,
Comforting your mom can be as simple as renting a few movies for her to watch and keep her mind occupied. Maybe she has too much idle time… a terrible thing when ones depressed. I just watched a lovely movie this morning that she might like to watch. It actually touches on experiencing loss. "The Thing about My Folks" I think it would enlighten her day and maybe give way to finding a little positive time to share with her daughter...just a thought.
I wish I lived in England for more than one reason, but one would be to indulge in the “One Day In History”…all you lovely Brits enjoy I’ll be reading. I love reading the memes....they are like a magnifying glass and let you in on the blogger.You then fully understand why you read their blog.

Annabelle

Carole Burant said...

Glad to hear that your mom seems to be finally realizing that she can't live like she has been...denial is one of the hardest steps to overcome! That One Day In History is a fabulous idea and I'll look forward to reading your post for it that day:-) Thank you so much for the birthday wishes yesterday, it was so appreciated!! Hugs xoxo

Anonymous said...

Your meme answers are amazing. You made me laugh several times. Bigoted Christian Fundamentalists? Too funny.
The History Matters campaign is such a good idea...we should start one in Canada!
Also your profile, I thought I was the only Massive Attack fan, nice to meet another one!
(Howard's End....fantastic film, Mum got me hooked on all the Merchant & Ivory films.)

Mary Bee said...

I got taged by Pretty Lady too on the MeMe of 3. It was more thought provoking than some, so enjoyed it. I like your answers. And now that I know you are a Scorpio I'll watch it. I know about Scorpios. Yup! My mother was one.

Anonymous said...

Hi Daisy, I tried to email you with the answer to your question about the picture..? but your email was returned as undeliverable?It is called 'A view of the Fireworks and Illuminations at His Grace the Duke of Richmond's at Whitehall'. I don't know the name of the artist.

Annie Jeffries said...

The One Day in History project sounds so exciting. Cannot wait to see what Tuesday brings me.

I am also glad to hear that your mom is reconciling herself to a change. It may not all go as she hopes but change rarely does. Please keep us posted.

KaiBlue said...

I got tagged to, i'll post tommorrow on that.. After writing a mini epic..Im all reved up on that front..lol..
You've been unbelievably kind to me with your words..thankyou :)
Peace..Kai

Pam Aries said...

Hi Daisy! Hope you are doing well! And that your mom is fine! I need to reorganize my art rom....arrrrgh..!

couragetocreatewriteandlove said...

I hope your mom is doing better. I love your answers, specially when you described your personality, I am just like you but I am piscis. Also If you ever stop in my town, I can cook an authentic mexican dish for you.

VintagePretty said...

Sorry to hear your mum isn't well, I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for her to feel better soon. Hopefully she'll be able to move closer to you and take some positive steps.

Have a good week!