Monday, May 21, 2007

WATCHING FOR THE AVENGING HOARDES CRESTING THE FELL

Castlerigg Stone Circle

Following on from my last post, I found it so interesting to find out what experiences other people had had in liminality. Most commenters had experienced a little something Julie of Celtic Woman has even blogged about an experience she had which is really interesting. She headed her post with a photograph, which unknown to her, meant a lot to me, Castlerigg Stone Circle above Keswick in Cumbria. I promised to do part of my next posting about my small experience within this circle. So here it is.

One of the Standing Stones

I am going back about thirty five years or so, imagine, a cold windswept very early Spring day, spots of rain occasionally falling from the lowering steel grey skies, dark clouds that float over the peaks of some of the higher fells [Fells in Cumbria are small mountains] and if anyone knows the Lake District you know just how oppresive and low the sky can feel there before a long downpour, and when it rains in the Lake District, it rains heavier than I have ever seen anywhere. I was in Keswick, which is about sixty odd miles from me, with some friends for the day. I desperately wanted to go to the Stone Circle, despite the weather, you could drive up in a car, park and cross the field to the Stone Circle. The party divided into two parts, myself and one other person decided to go up to Castlerigg. When we arrived it was a truly desolate site, the stones looming against the pewter sky, not another living person to be seen, just the eerie baaing of the sheep on the fells and the occasional shriek of a curlew. We walked around the stone circle, I remember, touching the stones as we passed them by. We realised we had forgotten to bring a camera, so the other person decided he would go back and check the car to see it there was one in there.


Castlerigg Stone Circle [note the colour of the sky]


I watched him go and then turned back to view from the stone circle the surrounding fells, I remember I was thinking about the people that had built the circle and wondering about their lives. I began to realise that everywhere had gone deathly still, no animal sounds or bird calls, the wind didn't even seem to be blowing. I was rooted to the spot intently staring at the top of one of the fells. The air felt thick almost as if I put my hand out to touch it, my hand would bounce against some spongy substance. Then just for a flicker of a moment, I had a feeling that I was watching out of someone else's eyes and I knew I was waiting for something, whether it was the avenging hoardes of a neighbouring tribe, or just some messenger, and I knew they would come over the crest of the opposite fell. I also remember thinking that it felt as though I had different clothes on and was carrying something, I, honestly, don't know why I never looked down to see, I presume my eyes were fixed on this point I was watching. Suddenly my concentration faltered, I saw another party in kagouls approaching and everything returned to normal. I have never ever forgotten that day and how it felt in the stone circle. I really felt of another time, I have described the incident to the best of my abilitiy, but it was mostly a tactile and mind experience. I put it down to one of the mysterious things that life throws at you.



I have been tagged by Lila of Indigo Pear to list seven random things about myself. Hmmm, this might be quite difficult I think you know just about everything about me from previous memes. Some of these memes are so far back in the depths of time that I can't remember what I have revealed or haven't revealed yet. Well here goes, apologies to anyone who feels cheated and thinks she's said that before!


1. I am left-handed and I love being left-handed, even though it is a right-handed world. People would always comment on it as a child as though it was some great disability. Luckily, my mother was not stupid and did not force me to use my right-hand instead. My greatest difficulty was learning to sew, but I have managed. I would love to embroider properly but the illustrated instruction books don't make sense to me. I have a special pair of left-handed scissors for craft work, and am desperately looking for replacements as they nearing the end of their live. If I use my fountain pen that has a left-handed nib as well. People in my area call it being cack handed, which used to offend me, they probably made a secret evil eye against me too. Put round a table with people, and I will immediately check for left-handed people. There are more of us out there than you would think. Beware we are aiming to take the world over!

Jackie Morris


2. My two worst fears, heights is the first and been totally immersed underwater is the second, my head and neck must be above water. Even a railway bridge between platforms in small stations in the open air makes me shaky. The knock on effect from my fear of heights, is my fear of flying, you know up there in the sky in a plane, no safety net. Which leads me on to my other fear, the water immersion one. Worst possible scenerio, being in a plane in freefall and crashing down into the ocean and being totally immersed in water. Crazy though this may sound, ferries and boats don't bother me, even though they can crash and they travel through water. Perhaps, I was the village witch in a previous life and was thrown into the village duckpond.

J. M .Whistler

3. I am terribly impatient, I can't stand traffic jams, queues, or explaining things to people, if they don't get what I mean right away. I an't stand waiting for buses, trains or even taxis to arrive. I am aware of this failing of mine. It's so stupid, if I have visitors coming, as the time gets nearer I am constantly clock watching and wondering when they will be arrive. This runs over into a pet hate of mine, I cannot abide people who say, leave it with me and I'll get back to you tomorrow about it, then never ring. Arggghhhh! Do that and I'll be back on the phone giving you a headache. Bet you didn't think I would be impatient?


4. I am an only child, not spoilt, please don't mention that old adage, it really annoys me. If I was spoilt I would have had the bike I always wanted and many other things. No, being an only child made me very self sufficient. I had lots of friends to play with, but if none were available I could occupy myself happily. I still can. The only bad thing about being an only child I can think of was, I had no idea at all about sibling interaction. I was determined to have more that one child, and had two, and what a learning curve that was, watching them interact. They were both treated exactly the same, they would take this to a ridiculous extreme. I remember them cutting a Mars Bar, someone had given them to share, in half both standing watching the kitchen scales as they weighed both halves. Yes, they grumble about each at times, but they do share a flat together in London, at the moment, and have done for three years.


5. I am a good listener, I will listen to any friends troubles and sympathise, I will offer advice if asked, but I expect people to act, it not upon my advice, to move forward somehow or from someone's advice. I can't stand people wallowing in self pity or their trouble, although as I said I am sympathetic, I have this desire always to help people move on make their troubles right again. The flip side to this, is that if I feel troubled, I am more likely to try to work it out myself than to talk to people about it [maybe this is another side to my only child status].


6.As a child I would sing or dance for anyone, I played the piano in music festivals and acted in drama festivals without qualm. If there was a show or a play, I would be in it. I was chatty and outgoing. This all changed when I was eleven. I can remember the day, I was acting in a duologue, I came on stage and announced who I was and my partner did the same, except she said like me she was the Country Mouse, whereas in reality she was the Town Mouse. It was, at that time the worst ten minutes of my life, she dried completely, she just couldn't get one line right, I couldn't really help her if she couldn't remember all her lines, my replies didnot make sense as she hadn't said the lines before. For the first time in my life I was aware of how cruel an audience can be, they found it amusing. I never acted in plays again, terrified that that would happen to me one day. I also began to become more introverted, I was always with friends, but large groups would have me slightly tonguetied. I was a lot quieter until I went to college, then I firmly took myself in hand, by thinking unless I was more outgoing I would have no real fun. I blossomed, and boy did I have fun!

Elizabeth Blackadder


7. I cry a lot, at the end of books, at the end of films, if I see animals being hurt, I can cry for any reason, if I am happy, if I read something sad, if I am sent a present. My eyes just fill up, I have tried for years and have never ever managed to conqueor this. Anything that touches me for any reason, good or bad, has the capacity to make me shed a few tears. Not loud sobs, just a few tears fill my eyes up and trickle down my face a little.

Well, that seemed like a marathon task, but there are seven random unusual things about me. I am not tagging any one else, as I never do, but anyone out there feels like doing this, by all means do it.


John Piper

Just to let you know my son is fine and is now back in England. He is an experienced traveller and has been to every country in Europe, some many times and also to most countries in what was Eastern Europe. He loves Barcelona and Madrid, but says he will never ever go to that part of Southern Spain again. He loves travelling but said he felt safer in Tel Aviv than he did in that small part of Southern Spain. He has put it down to a life experience.

I also have heard that our blogging friend Claire, is improving, another blogger has spoken to her and she managed to laugh and giggle a little bit, but please still keep her in your thoughts.




19 comments:

Julie said...

I really enjoyed these - so much more involved and informative than mine were. Sorry to have tagged you twice. I should have realized you were part of Lila's art doll swap, but as I said I don't have a lot of readers to tag.

Julie

Julie said...

Daisy, My comment above related to the 7 random thoughts. (I thought they were two separate posts for some reason.)

Regarding the liminal experience:

1. Your memory of that long-ago day is so keen and you described it so vividly.

2. I felt the hair stand up on my arms when I read about your experience. Thank you for relating it.

3. I think it is somewhat spooky that I chose that photo for my post. I looked for an hour, first at mystical places, then at boulders, to find an appropriate picture and can't exactly tell you why I ended up with it.

4. Have you been to Stonehenge? That is my dream. However, I would have liked to have seen it as it was when "Tess of the D'Urbervilles" saw it. I hope you write a post about Midsummer's Day and Stonehenge.

Julie

Annie Jeffries said...

Laminility was very interesting. I went to wikapedia and printed four pages on the subject. I'm going to read up and do this. I think it is very in line with what is happening to me these days.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful post!Love it!
*HUGS*

KaiBlue said...

you know, according to Oprah, Left handed people are smarted then right handed folks..
I love the memories you shared Daisy..this world is so open to interpretation of the spirits and unknown..I love that you share your thoughts about it.
PEace, Kai xxoxx

gma said...

Daisy....Your Castlerigg experience is intriguing...you described it so well I could feel it too. There is a book called the Highlander by Diana Gabaldon about a modern day woman in Scottland who wandered into a stone circle....and came out in an earlier century...it's good!!!We should chat about this some more some time.
xo

Julie said...

"Outlander" by Diana Gabaldon. Excellent book.

Bimbimbie said...

I share your two fears - heights and drowning. Went through a period of dreaming of drowning when I was growing up and would often wake up trying to fight my way out of the bottom end of my bed ....... and swimming lessons were a trial *!*

Carole Burant said...

Oh Daisy, I still have goosebumps from reading about your experience at Castlerigg...I can imagine it's something you will never forget! I so enjoyed reading the 7 random things about you!! I'm glad your son is now home safe and sound! xox

gma said...

Yes
It's Outlander
not Highlander
Thanks julie marie
xo

Lila Rostenberg said...

Thank-you for posting your "7 randoms". I loved your tale about the stone circle and I've read "Outlander" also...
Left-handed people are (theoretically)often very creative, as your right brain is dominant..I'd say your life backs up that theory!
Glad to hear your son is fine!
I think the cat painting in your post) by Elizabeth Blackadder is the best thing I've seen from her! (Like I know!)

Pear tree cottage! said...

Hello Daisy, this post Has been one of the MOST! interesting I have ever read. I would recomend that bloggers come on over and take a peek! at an interesting subject well put together.

so nice to be here visiting you today.
Lee-ann

Miss Robyn said...

there is something about stone circles that touches a part of me, I don't know what it is. We don't have them here far as i know.
It sounds like you were at one with earth - that is an amazing experience.

Gee, I wish we could get together sometime in this life to experience stuff like this.

Sheila said...

Your experience at Castlerigg had me spell bound. I do believe you were between 'worlds' for that brief time.
Your meme was intereting, I had already formed the impression that you did not suffer fools gladly.. LOL.. and your responses bore this out.

I'm glad your son is home safely BTW.
hugs
xx

Lisa Oceandreamer Swifka said...

I am always thoroughly intrigued by your posts. This was no exception. Your recall of the stone circle experience was captivating, I could almost feel and see what you described. I am constantly learning and that's never a bad thing.
Your 7 random items were interesting as well. I could relate to a couple of them.
XOXO

Tinker said...

I'm just catching up, and what a lot I've missed!

I'm so glad your son is alright - how frightening that experience must have been (and it's always frightening for mother's to get those kinds of calls, too).

I will keep Claire in my thoughts and prayers - I didn't know that had happened to her, but I'm glad to hear she seems to be rallying back from it.

Enjoyed reading your 7 random things, and especially enjoyed reading about your liminal experience. I have a fear of flying over the water as well - and I get seasick, so boats aren't an option really either - so I don't know if I'll be able to actually experience standing in a stone circle, which I've always wanted to do - but somehow, I'll overcome the fear I think, if the opportunity ever presents itself! If all else fails, I can knock myself out for the trip overseas, lol.

Happy Anniversary to your blog - it may be belated, but I'm raising a toast to you tonight! I'm so glad to have found you through your blog, Daisy! XOXO

J C said...

That was really interesting Daisygirl. I have never heard a stone circle story before. I saw a ghost once, and twice was visited thru a channeler by a deceased relative. I would love to visit an authentic stone circle.

That Jackie Morris rabbit looks like it has a human body. It's a little eerie.

You are not alone, Daisy. I am a crier too. Well, not boo hoo, but teary, breath-catching emotion. Over an abused animal, a homeless child, you know...

Sue Simpson said...

WOW Daisy! I had a very similar experience at Castle Rigg and it always held a special place in my heart. Me and my husband loved it there...so much so I sprinkled his ashes there in 2000...in the inner circle. Thanks for the ariel view it's wonderful. I'll try to get round to blogging about my experience sometime soon.
Love Sue xxx
PS Glad your sons ok!

tlchang said...

A wonderfully evocative experiential post, Daisy. Those times and places where the veil to our 'normal', tangible reality thins or slips are always moving - and remind me that we understand so little about how all of it 'works'... :-) Thanks a bunch for sharing!