Tuesday, May 08, 2007

HERE'S TO A GREEDY, JUICY,LEARNING SUMMER OF PERSONAL DELIGHTS

Stanley Spencer

At long last by the end of last week I had finished all my outstanding swap committments. All that is left is the ongoing Hello Dolly Swap and a healing doll, I promised someone, and even these two dolls are now at the actually being made stage. The little grey cloud rumbling above my head in a thundery manner started to disperse once I had posted, my woodland sprite, my crow chunky pages and my Shhhh! project. Sometimes I find that group projects, seem to stifle my creativity in my own art for art's sake. I become so aware of not letting a group down and my responsibility to the those people, that I actually seem to freeze when I want to involve myself in personal work.

Laura Knight

I have decided, and I know that some of you know about this, as I have mentioned it in a couple of emails, that I am drawing back from group swaps for a while, apart from the one that is still ongoing. I am going to concentrate on my art and probably just get involved in one to one's and RAKs. I was stretched out in too many ways before, with the amount of swaps. For now I want to concentrate on my art, my garden, my history research, my blog and putting more time aside for my favourite occupation reading. I want to have a greedy, juicy, learning summer of personal delights. I fully intend to make myself a banner saying just that 'Here's to the greedy, juicy, learning summer of personal delights'. Raise a glass with me to that and have one too. What fun we can have in the autumn revealing what we gained through these months. Southern Hemisphere, do the same with Winter using suitable winter words.



You note I have a new sidebar item that advertises National Faery Day on 24th June, if you click on it you should be taken to the site and you can choose one for your own blog. There are lots of things going on around that time, such as in Bodmin in Cornwall, a three day faery
festival. I'm sure we can all think of lots of lovely things to do to celebrate this day.



A very good friend of mine from the blogs, and I have been talking about Druids and Driudism recently. This is really quite apt as the doll the Hello Dolly Group are making this month is a Celtic Goddess. Druidism is fascinating, and has reinvented itself many times throughout history. Basically it is similar, I think to wicca, and to various pantheistic religions [ one with many gods and goddesses, often associated with nature, eg rivers, trees, rocks]. It is also a belief that really looks after our Earth. Listed below are the main attributes of certain types of Druidism.

John Piper

~Love of Peace~ Love of Beauty - the bard and artists within~ Love of Justice - non punitive justice and law ~Love of Story and Myth - the power of mythology~ Love of History and Reverence for Ancestors~ Love of Trees - sacred groves and study of treelore~ Love of Stones - stone circles and crystals~ Love of Truth - wisdom~ Love of Animals - druidry sees animals as sacred ~ Love of the Body~ Love of the Sun, Moon and Stars~ Love of Life.

Jill Worthington

The Druids came from pre-Celtic times and by Celtic times had a long history of lore and beliefs. It they had any written words they have been destroyed long before then and a lot of our information about them come from Roman writers, such as Julius Caesar. The Druids, deified elments of nature, such as the moon, stars and sun, and looked to them for signs and seasons. The also held as holy natural elements such as. rivers, lakes, tops of hills, groves, trees, and plants. Fire was regarded as a symbol of several divinities and was associated with the sun and cleansing. The calendar was governeed by the lunar, solar and vegetative cycles. There were three categories the Bards, who knew the songs and stories of their people, the Ovates who were gifted with second sight, and were the seers and healers and the Druids who were the philospohers, judges and teachers. There was much maligning of the Druids by certain Romans and talk of human blood sacrifices though some of what is written must surely be taken as anti Druid propaganda. It took many years of learning to become a Druid and it was open to both men and women. I feel aspects of it mix in well with wicca and solitary hedgewitchery, it also brings back to us the importance of never losing our traditions and lore, our history and beginnings are what makes us the people we are. Even in today's age of technology we should never forget how to use the oral storytelling tradition.





17 comments:

KaiBlue said...

I think this is a lovely Idea Daisy. I've been cleaning and Clearing out my home like crazy in preparation for enjoying a totally fun summer immersed in art and creating.
So cheers to you doll..
you go for it!!
Peace n hugs n love and wine, Kai :)

Lisa Oceandreamer Swifka said...

I couldn't agree more with swaps and not doing my own art for arts sake. I've been experiencing the same exact thing and will not be doing any more group swaps for a while either.(other than the doll swap which is on going) I have felt like a fraud saying I am an artist when I am not producing much. BUT it is my intention to have a similar summer to what you described. Heres to that, here's to the creation of creating!
Love and hugs and a good dose of imagination.
XOXO
Lisa

Miss Robyn said...

I love your information and soak it up like a sponge - I think I am part druid too, as you know it resonates quite well within my soul. (I too, plan on posting about Druids, this week sometime)
I am not participating in any more swaps nor am I organising them. It was taking too much of a toll and I understand completely when you say it was like a responsibility - when it should be a fun thing.
as usual you & I are going through similar things right now - the ying & yang of the world - northern and southern hemisphere.
I wish I could go to Bodmin in Cornwall for the faery day - that is where some of my ancestors come from.

gma said...

Definition of Druid... pretty much hit the nail on the head...I guess I'm one!!!(I've secretly known it for a long time)
Hey I do not blame you for backing off of the swaps....we have had some pretty intense ones going on lately....And Daisy let me know what you are reading...because the book Precious Bane you recommended is now one of my favorites...LOVED it!!!!

Carole Burant said...

Sounds like you have a good plan to enjoy your summer:-) I think stopping the group swaps for a while is a good idea...I know when I'm involved in something like that, I feel very pressured and stressed for the same reason you do...don't want to let down anyone! Love the new banner saying you want to make...it's perfect! I had checked out the Faerie Days site and was so excited to read all about it:-) As for the Druids, I so enjoyed reading the history behind them!! xoxo

mrsnesbitt said...

Hellooooooooooooo from over the moors, can you see me, I'm waving???

A good post DL, love ya baby.....will be meeting up soooooooooooooon!

Dxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Lila Rostenberg said...

You are planning a great summer!

Doing swaps can be an avoidance technique that keeps us creativly blocked, we avoid facing our lonely time with the MUSE and want to "play" with our creative friends. The audience and instant feed-back from a swap give us a warm-fuzzy!

Doing the art doll swap has been wonderful for me...the dolls just make themselves..! And I learn so much researching them...

I love all the art you posted with your post, and, as always, you share such a wonderful wealth of encouragement and information.

vicci said...

I think it is good to take breaks once in awhile Daisy.....it gives us a new fresh perspective...I am cleaning the house...and slowly getting my yard ready for a fun-filled artistic Summer...(the pool goes up soon)...water and Summer go together for me...:-)

Sheila said...

I couldn't agree more with your plans for summer. The banner is excellent, and I hope to see more people waving it..!
Celts and Druids have fascinated me for years, and I enjoyed reading about them here.I like that they offered equal opportunities to men and women...!

hugs
xx

Tinker said...

I know I haven't been involved in as many as you and others have, but even with the ones I have been involved with, they've taken away a lot of my creative energy for much of anything else. I'm still trying to finish the two swappy things that I have, and have been thinking I should refrain from anymore for awhile myself.

So 'Here's to the greedy, juicy, learning summer of personal delights' - I'm raising my glass to you for that!
XOXO

Pam Aries said...

I also agree! Sometimes ya just gotta be FREE! ..Daisy , I got your beautiful ,, wonderful... Crow Pages today when I got home ! I LOVE your theme ! Cool! THank you! I am slowly putting the pages all together! Wow!

Anonymous said...

I don't think that spending time to yourself is being greedy. You need that as an artist, I say go for it! You certainly deserve it!

As for Religion, Thank you for writing that. I have to say...I do not know exactly where I fit in. I'm still learning alot about Religion. That helped me to learn a lil more. I agree with ALOT of different Religions who celebrate Nature...etc. I think I'm just going to be the best person I can be, be thankful for everything and just paint.
Your sooo inspirational! All the Glitter Sisters are inspirational! You ALL, EACH of you, I think you deserve time to yourselves. I think there should be a Glitter sister celebration, where each Glitter Sister at least for a week or so, paints freely and for themselves. Each of you, should be soooo proud to be YOU! :)
*HUGS*

lizzzzzzzy said...

Thank you for sharing. Each season has it's own flower and color. It is good to stop and examine the heart and the path you are on. Fun for Summer all say YES! lizzzzzzzzzzzy

couragetocreatewriteandlove said...

'Here's to a greedy, juicy, learning summer of personal delights' Cheers!!!!

J C said...

I'm with you Daisy girl! Crow was my last project for awhile, except for an occasional one on one. I had already stepped back and am well into my greedy, juicy, learning summer, just doing the "me" thingy!

Annie Jeffries said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Annie Jeffries said...

I so understand the feeling of being overextended in swapping. I stopped group swapping about three years ago and only do one/one's. Feels so much better. Best wishes as you explore your own art.

7:28 AM