Friday, May 04, 2007

I SOMETIMES MUSE ON GIVING A WRONG IMPRESSION

Madonna Lilies ~ Stanley Spencer

I sometimes muse whether I make my life in the country sound like too much of an idyll. Yes, it is idyllic but there are downsides as well. sometimes I think that despite the photographs I have published occasionally people paint their own mind picture which is different to the reality. Villages come in all shapes and sizes, and with many different features depending in which area of England you are in. Some villages have village greens and/or duck ponds, though many have lost their village greens by now to development. Architecturally villages differ immensley throughout England as well, you can go from hardy grey granite to chocolate box thatched cottages.

I thought I would like to try to get across to you exactly what it is like to live in my village in the North of England. First let me say that to me, any village living is better than living in the city. My village is rural, the nearest town is just over six miles away, but as years pass I can see the town encroaching ever nearer the village, I would think twenty years ago that the town would probably be about seven miles, but its outskirts are ever widening. If I had to move again, I would be happy to move even more rural to the point of being an isolated house somewhere, though I would have to have communication with the outside world, I am definitely too chatty to be a hermit.

Spring Solstice ~ Paul Nash

Our village itself has grown from a long street with some small offshoots until over the past sixty or so years there have been four small developments tacked on at various times.
The biggest downside is that the A road to Newcastle, the nearest large city, sixty miles away, cuts right through the main street of the village. Obviously as the years go by the traffic becomes worse and worse, although a bypass has been talked about for years. From the west you approach our village over an arched sandstone bridge over the River Eden. This is a fine sturdy bridge, but was certainly not built for articulated lorries using it as a short cut, also the terrible floods we had a couple of years ago have washed lumps of the sandstone stanchions away. Everyone complains about the traffic rushing through the village, especially as the pavements are narrow and old fashioned and there is a bad bend where numerous accidents have happened. Our cottage is on this main street, but luckily we are double glazed and in the garden at the back, the big barn plays tricks with the acoustics and the traffic noise is not too loud and doesn't detract from the joy of the garden and the birdsong.

Autumn Sunlight at Sennen Cove [Cornwall] Laura Knight

The old buildings are all built from a rich red sandstone, a stone that wears away very easily as it is a soft stone, especially in our polluted world sandstone gets eroded very easily. Our barn is of this beautiful sandstone. Our cottage on the otherhand, has been faced and is painted, the next door cottage has been too. We have no village green, but we do have a church with a steeple and an old graveyard, in fact, we have two churches, with graveyards, the Church of England church and the Catholic church. The upside is I can walk out of my door and within a couple of minutes be on a quiet country road and turn off onto a bridle way. Occasionally, the village has a mild panic when there is a rumour that someone is selling more land off for development, but luckily so far, these have just been rumours, as I do believe our infrastructure and cannot take any more homes. We have a village school that is full to capacity, in fact, a few children in previous years have had to go to the next village school.


I would also hate you to think that every moment of my life is perfect, and I spend my days pottering around my garden, in floaty skirts [thought I often do drape a shawl round myself and I suppose at times I do tend to gypsy skirts] musing on the missel thrush on the wall. It often is, but I also have the mundane tasks to perform, the changing of beds, the washing, the cleaning. There are days when I feel stressed and am just happy to come home to the cottage and close the front door behind me and give a sigh of relief. There are days when I can feel slightly down, and a little bit grumpy, this usually makes me realise I have been overdoing things 'burning the candle at both ends' as my Mother would say. It is just I try to find extra bliss in all the small things that make my day enjoyable. Silly little things like the feel of my old straw hat on head when I am gardening, the blackbird that is not frightened of me and sits near my feet if I am quiet with a worm in his beak. The sun shimmering through the silver birch leaves, and later at twilight sitting out in the garden as the stars switch on in the sky and the tiny bats come out from the derelict barn down the lane and dart hither and thither. Or on colder evenings sitting in my living room with the rich smell of incense burning, candles flickering glad to be inside. At the moment my most blissful moments are waking just as the first note of the dawn chorus rings out and lying in bed listening as more and more birds join in then turning over and going back to sleep. Some mornings I even get up for a cup of herbal tea and listen to them before returning to bed.


Today has been a lovely day, the sun has been shining after a cool start and I have been busy planting a lot of my bedding plants and rearranging pots in the garden. I am just at the point where I know I still have a bit to do, but the plan and arrangements are clear in my mind and I have done enough to look around the garden and see some small points of perfection. When I was sitting having a break, I decided I must try to keep an eye on the insect population this year, especially after reading the article about the bees. I have seen one bee, quite a few ladybird and one butterfly. My husband is also concerned about the sandmartins, this year there are not as many of them in previous years, he is keeping an eye on them. I wonder what is keeping the numbers down, is it something about the environment around the river, or is perhaps because there are not enough insects around? He will be watching their numbers, has anyone else in England noticed any difference in numbers? I did think that we had not as many swallows, they arrive later than the sandmartins but the number of swallows in the blue sky looks the same now as other years. I presume they came in two batches.

There is an important happening in the night sky this month. There will be a Blue Moon, this happens when there are two full moons in one month, the second is called a Blue Moon. There is a complication to this, it depends where you live, if you live in the Americas, you get the second moon right at the very end of May, everyone else, Asia, Africa, Australia and Europe will get their Blue Moon in June and poor old New Zealand will have to wait until the end of July. This is because of the time zones around the world. We roughly get a Blue Moon in the month every two to three years, so it is very special. Lots of extra lovely Moonlight.

We have a public holiday on Monday in England, so this is a holiday weekend, and weather permitting I intend to make the most of it and get the garden right.

Some of the illustrations in this postings are paintings by some of my favourite English artists. I believe that a lot of people under estimate what wonderful 20th century painters we had in England. The names are underneath the pictures.

16 comments:

Miss Robyn said...

I haven't even read the post - I always look at pictures first and have to say - the painting of Cornwall - OMG! I have been there - not sure if in my dreams, meditation, or past life but I have been to that place or somewhere very similar. It makes my heart ache with longing :(

Carole Burant said...

Hi Daisy:-) I've just come in from spending most of the day outside getting all my patio furniture put together...we've been having such glorious weather these last few days! It is a shame that the typical villages are fast becoming a thing of the past...development sure is taking care of that! I live on the outskirts of the city and I guess you would call where I live, a village, but every year the population and houses built is getting higher and higher. Like you, I would love to move far away from everybody...but not TOO far away! lol xoxo

Lila Rostenberg said...

Lovely post! It is definitely the time of year here, too, for birdsongs in the early morning...I felt quite cheered to hear them singing when I awoke this morning!
I love to read about your gardening...we have a large front and back yard (I'm not an avid gardener though). It seems to be the perennials we have planted over the years are such a delight!
I had a few trilliums again, and now peonies and iris. So our "May Queen" will get to enjoy a blue moon here! Thanks for all the great information!

Lila Rostenberg said...

I forgot to say that I really like the paintings (which you identified) by various English artists!

Sheila said...

It sounds wonderful Daisy. I hope the powers that be, (in their limited wisdom) eventually build a bypass, and yet when they do, no doubt it will spoil somewhere else..!
I like Dame Laura Knight's work too. I remember a picture of a ballet dancer, my friend had under the glass on her dressing table when I was younger, it was by her. Her work always reminds me of my childhood.
I am off to look at the other artists you featured and enjoy them too. I look forward to photos of your summer garden..!
xx

gma said...

Daisy what you said about enjoying the simple things like gardening in your straw hat..... that is where we find our bliss in the city too! There are so many lovely simple things to enjoy...but I'd love to live in the country too.

Annie Jeffries said...

Dear Daisy, I so enjoyed the gloss of reality you have given us about your village. It makes it even more real for me. The art, especially from the hillside with the children, was extra special.

KaiBlue said...

I believe everywhere we live has good and bad points, good day and mundane days, Unique and bland bits..
Life in your village is magic and ordinary..It just depends on whose eyes you see it through..
Peace and bright visions, Kai.

Tinker said...

Beautiful illustrations, Daisy. I think most everyone everywhere, have their ups and downs, though there may be more of one than the other on any given day.

I hope the town and traffic doesn't encroach on your lovely village, than it already has - and most of all, I hope Nature maintains her balance there. Sending love and light your direction. XOXO

Rowan said...

I don't think a little illusion does any harm, I'm sure most of us would rather look at and read about the idyllic parts of other people's lives, we realise that everyone has days when they are down, bad-tempered, unwell etc and that these days there are few places untouched by new developments and brownsite building. But isn't it lovely to imagine that someone,somewhere does live the dream - a thatched cottage on a pretty lane with a beautiful garden where they spin and knit,make herbal salves and tussymusssies, bake bread and cook wonderful country food. If someone is, or appears to be,living the dream then it becomes within the realms of possibility for all of us who would love to live that life.

Pam Aries said...

Hello Daisy! Sorry I haven't been by lately! I didn't even realize!~ I guess I am still tryimg to get caught up since the 'puter crash! I love hearing about your village..and you are so right...things are often not as idylic as they look! However beautiful and fun Charlestonis...there are negatives too! Major traffic,,,, grouchy touristas, Extreme HOT weather..ha ha!

Naturegirl said...

Daisy Spring has finally arrived to my part of the world and how wonderful to spent the weekend tending me garden. I also see urban development taking over our serene green space surrounding our smaller towns outside the the city!More and more folks are leaving the city to live in suburbia and new housing communities are being developed to meet the demand. I just HaTe it when I see woodlands destroyed only to put up houses and shopping malls
and gas stations!! Changing the subject!!
I am seeing bees kissing my garden blossoms and it makes my heart sing! We all must do our part in maintaining a bee friendly garden that will attract these precious pollenators!Thank you for the description of your I am sure picturesque surroundings!
I went into your glitter sister site and no photos yet.I'll check later. Hugs NG

couragetocreatewriteandlove said...

What a great post! I love the part about you describing not being that perfect with full of mundane things to accomplish, Here we go!!!

Miss Robyn said...

your life in your gorgeous cottage sounds idyllic to me - even if it is near a busy road. One day, I hope to see it in person and walk those streets with you, looking at all the gorgeous cottages and soaking up the history.
Your garden sounds delightful too & I hope you got alot done on your public holiday weekend.
At the moment there seem to be alot of insects in my garden which is good even bees!
xox

Lisa Oceandreamer Swifka said...

Merriam-Webster defines idyllic as "pleasing or picturesque in natural simplicity". So by that definition you DO live idyllically. You derive pure pleasure from time in your garden and living in a village rather than the hubbub of a large city. I so hope the roads don't invade that and impede on true village living. We all have times of up, downs and all arounds, even in the most ideal setting we are human after all.
XOXO
Love,
Lisa

Gretel said...

Some great artists there, what excellent taste! :)