Monday, May 14, 2007

NOW WE ARE ONE



One year ago today, I spent the morning setting up my blog template and falteringly working out my first posting. It was a mad spontaneous decision to start a blog. I had lurked around a few blogs to see what was out there after reading an article about them. Then my daughter phoned me full of how she was starting a blog. I just thought, 'What fun!', imagining rambling at some length to the world in general. With trepidation I put out my first posting and then with even greater bravardo left comments on a couple of blogs I really liked the look of. Then I went about the rest of the day wondering if I would get any comments, or would the world in general see fit to ignore me. Late that evening I returned to my blog, and yes, I actually had a comment. Guess who was my first commenter? Why, of course, it was someone who was to become a dear friend of mine in cyber world, Ms Robyn! After that, three more comments arrived, and there was no stopping me, my daughter never found the time to get her blog off the ground properly but here I still am!


What have I learnt in my first year of blogging. So much, just so much. Mostly positive, most people are nice, but you do come across one or two who let you down. I have made friends all around the world, and actually met some of them, become a Glitter Sister, have participated in both successful and unsuccessful swaps, actually ran a couple of swaps and best of all, these two things, I have learnt so much about other people's lives and found a support network of people I can discuss life with. The most important point of my blog has been though, to break through my block of many years in my art work and send my creativity soaring again. I am creating my healing spirit dolls, my other little fripperies, altering anything from cards to books. Blogging made me decide to start my Local History Group, after writing snippets about our village history on my blog. Also with exchanging customs from other cultures, I have immersed myself deeper and deeper in my English myth, folklore, herbs and magic.

Elizabeth Blackadder

Here's to the future of communicating with you all. I am not saying I will blog for evermore, but I am happy to do so at the moment, but I do know I will always find a way to communicate my Daisy ramblings and lore to the world. Raise a glass or two of pinot grigio with me tonight to celebrate this day. [It is only breakfast time for me now!]

Laura Knight

I am looking out of the window at a cloudy sky, but in among the clouds are patches of blue, and the sun is trying to shine. I had an early morning stroll down to my garden, which is looking so verdant after all the rain, some of the plants are taking beds over, but I am rather inclined not to cull them until autumn and let this garden, be of blowsy controlled chaos this summer, just letting it teeter on the edge of wildness, not too far, just a suggestion, so you can imagine secrets hidden in the plants. And there will be secrets hidden in the plants I have been collecting up all sorts of interesting bits and pieces to put between the plants and I hope to have them all in position by the beginning of June, when weather permitting, I should have done all my serious planting. The poppies have numerous heads on them. [Don't they look like green aliens emerging from the leaves?] I will have to stake these up as poppy leaves are notoriously untidy and sprawl everywhere. My beautiful pale blue irises are waiting to open and I keep scooping up and putting in pots the marigolds that have self seeded from last year.


Tara from Silver Apples of the Moon, sent me some herb seeds in the autumn and they have germinated nicely and are pushing up out of the soil in their pots. All the way from her garden in America to my cottage. I have taken delivery of four giant bags of bark chipping to recover the path between the stepping stones, and to seriously cover where the table and chairs reside. I do feel everything is happening a couple of weeks earlier this year, and hope that my garden will be able to maintain its freshness throughout the summer. Even the bedding plants are taking off earlier, I just hope that they are not finished too soon, such as before August is out.



Other items of interest to me at the moment, I am currently reading the new Barbara Erksine book, Daughters of Fire, which goes between present day Edinburgh and Yorkshire and Celtic times in those two places. I have decided as well to make a summer project of re-reading some of Thomas Hardy and reading one or two of his I have never got round to reading. I love Thomas Hardy's more rural books, especially Tess of the D'Urbervilles, a tragic soulful rural tale. This was also made into a brilliant film a good few years ago by Roman Polanski. I have spent a couple of classical evenings listening to Chopin's Nocturnes, balm to the soul, soothing yet stark, conjuring up wonderful images. Also I have been dipping back into old Paul Simon, you sometimes just forget what wonderful lyrics he writes.

James Whistler

Once again, don't forget to raise a glass with me tonight for Cats in the Kitchen Flora in the Garden is one year old today.




21 comments:

Patty said...

Congrats on the one year of blogging. I enjoy your post and hope you continue to blog for a long time.
Have a great week

Sheila said...

Congratulations on your 'First Birthday' Daisy..!
Robyn was my first blog contact too, closely followed by you..xx
I have a bottle of Shiraz, and now have an excuse to open it, not that I need one!
One of the pictures you have posted here...the old country cottage with the woman in the garden..is that Helen Allingham...?
I imagine by the end of summer that is exactly how your garden will look. It sounds very fertile..LOL
I love Barbara Erskine, and have that book on order, but Amazon tells me it is unavailable until August..!!

Anonymous said...

Congradulations on blogging for a year! WOO HOOO! First picture on this post made me think TEA TIMEEEEEEEE!
Love your pictures!
*HUGS*

tlchang said...

Happy blogday and congrats from me as well!

And I'm so pleased that the seeds are *growing* (one more week and I should be able to get out to *my* garden! I've missed it so!)

Janet said...

Happy One Year Blog Anniversary! As I've said from the first time I visited, I love your blog! You have so many talents and the best part is that you share them with all of us.

I'll raise a glass tonight in celebration and also in the hope of many more years for your blog.

Lila Rostenberg said...

How absolutely marvelous to be able to celebrate your year of blogging tonight! "Cheers!"
The "Daughters of Fire" novel sounds fascinating!

ChrisJ said...

I found your blog through Janet's blog, just today -- and I missed a whole year of you! So now you are on my list of regular blogs to visit especially because you have so many interests similar to mine. Congratulations on being one year old. I am about four months. I'm also British but live in San Diego -- been over here nearly 50 years! In acouple of weeks we'll be over in England visiting a number of places but especially Flamborough my wonderful home village.

ChrisJ

Annie Jeffries said...

Happy blogiversary. It is always totally enchanting to visit your beautiful word garden and images. I love today's cats.

KaiBlue said...

congraddies Daisy.. You know, if it wern't for your blogging, I would never have met you in person and got to know what a truly unique and lovely lady you really are.
It's a blessing , and I love your pictures and words..
Peace, kai

gma said...

Will certainly toast you tonight Daisy!!! Congratulations!!! Your creativity has spread far and wide...love the story blogs you started and your posts are so in tune with nature, history and spirit....Love it!!!!Salute!

Lisa Oceandreamer Swifka said...

I am ever so glad you decided to start a blog - when I found my way here I thought I had found Beatrix Potter/Jane Austen and this is what I pictured: you in flowing dresses, a spade in one hand and pen/paper in the other. You were also floating from room to room in a magical tidy-up, flowers adorning all surfaces and the home fires burning. I do not say this tongue in cheek, it's truly the picture I had of you. Funny to find out later what a hippie/boho spirit you truly are. Both wonderful images. I am ever so happy I've gotten to know you, sharing our lives, happy and sad and all in between.
I raise a glass to you dear Daisy....Happy Blogiversary - long may you be here enlightening us with your folklore and tales of fae and village history and all about the moon!
With love and hugs,
Lisa
XOXO

Miss Robyn said...

Daisy, I am so glad that you decided to blog and then comment on my blog (whichever one it was!) ~ I feel that I have met a TRUE kindred spirit in you, as i have said before the yin & yang of our world.
I love your blog, I love your wisdom and the way you share it.

a favourite garden book of mine is "let the garden go' by Cheryl Maddox - a cottage garden enthusiast from here ~ she is adamant about never cutting the seed heads off the plants ~ to let them self seed, eventually making a whole new garden, never knowing what is going to pop its head up. I love this look, faeries love wildness too ~ so I look forward to watching you let your garden go as well xo
I just wish I could swap some seeds with you - I wonder if I could at least send some from here, your customs don't seem to be as strict as ours is.

again, dear sweet friend - raising a glass in thanks to the internet and our friendship - which I hope to cement with a 'real' visit oneday xoxo
blessings and much bliss to you always

Lan said...

I listen often to Paul Simon. His lyrics are the best I know.

Do you know Caeia March's books?

mrsnesbitt said...

"I have a bottle of Shiraz, and now have an excuse to open it, not that I need one!"

Well if Sheila has a bottle, so have I, but my bottle is white, to remind me of Thirsk...A toast for Daisy and a Prayer for Claire.

Agree with Kai..........look where blogging brought us!

Dxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Jeanie said...

Congratulations, Daisy! I so enjoy your blog and look forward to more of your musings!

Bimbimbie said...

Congratlations Daisy, as a new blogger I'm looking forward to visiting you daily - I have a whole years worth to enchant me .... I'm raising my morning cuppa to you *!*

couragetocreatewriteandlove said...

Congratulations Dear Daisy!

Pam Aries said...

Hi Miss Daisy! I am sipping a Sauvignon Blanc right now! Do you know I missed my 1 year ! It was the 12th of May! any way...I am slowly putting the Crow book together and sending them out! Your page is so cool! Wait til you see all the different pages! Say..Did you ever get your Frida???? I mailed yours and Judie's out really late! She got hers...

Pam Aries said...

I forgot to tell you .. I cant send mail out on my old comcast address...email me at ...pamaries52 at hotmail dot com

Gypsy Purple said...

Lovely post!!!!!

Naturegirl said...

~Congratulations Daisy!~
I can remember your journey as you broke through your creativity block as you mention.
There's no stopping you now and we are happy for you!I appreciate your kind and sharing spirit and all your wisdom in sharing your views particulary your local history!I think our connection was ~ Night Gardening~..remember! Every summer I pick up that book and reread it!
I wish you much more creativity inspiration and Joy in your next year! I raise my glass to YoU!
hugs NG