Friday, May 11, 2007

THE MONTH OF THE HAWTHORN


It is almost the start of a new month in the Celtic year. On 13th May, we will enter the month of Huath, the Hawthorn. This tree, though in England it is used as hedging and can be more like a shrub, is also known as Maybush, Maytree, Thorn bush. It is one of the important triad of trees, Oak, Ash, and Thorn, and it is said that when those three species grow together if you are quiet and patient you may be able to see the faeries. Also to fall asleep under a blossoming Hawthorn, is a risky thing to do, you may be captured by the faeries and whisked away to their lands never to be seen again.



The Greeks and Romans saw the Hawthorn as a symbol of hope and marriage, yet in later times, Europeans considered it a bush that was associated with witchcraft. These two contradictory sides to the meaning of Hawthorn, mirror the bush itself, with its dangerous thorns and beautiful blossoms. It is unlucky to cut the flowering Hawthorn and bring it into the home before Maytime, but hawthorn has many uses in the home. If it is hung from the rafters it will keep evil spirits away. To hang a branch of Hawthorn on the roof of your house is said to protect your home from lightening. It is also used hanging from the roof of the milking parlous to make sure the cows continue to be happy and give large yields of milk. The wood of Hawthorn also makes one of the hottest fires and it burns well. Beware, though, if wanting to use the wood of Hawthorn you must never cut it while it is flowering. To cut a flowering Hawthorn branch to use or burn the wood, is to upset the fae and they will take their revenge on you. Many Country people plant a Hawthorn bush outside their homes, also as protection, though it has been heard that a witch has the ability to hide in the shape of a Hawthorn. A thorn from the Hawthorn bush can be carried in a pouch to ward off depression, and is also supposed to be good luck when fishing. Hawthorn has an affinity with water and is often planted next to sacred wells, especially in Ireland where you can see rags, and strips of material hanging from the tree where people have asked for favours.

Paul Nash

Herbally, berries, bark, seeds, branches and flowers are used. The berries are a cardiac tonic, but they must be mixed with other herbs to dilute its potency. Please do not try to make this tea if you are inexperienced, it really does depend on the other herbs in it as well. Its leaves and blossoms can be brewed to create a tea to aid anxiety, and poor ciculation. Hawthorn can be used for health, prosperity, protection, love and marriage, purity, cleansing, happiness and to lose old habits and dusty old ideas.
John Piper

Village cottages would be decked with Hawthorn on Mayday and the Maypole often had a crown of the same. Some villages would have branches of flowering Hawthorn that they would carry from door to door, bestowing blessings on all the village homes. Kissing balls and Mayday crowns also incorporated Hawthorn, and these crowns would be left at the end of Mayday under Hawthorn trees for the faeries to reclaim.


Our weather has now settled back into its normal pattern of early May, heavy showers and gusts of wind. These wild gusts of wind come from a local wind that blows at this time of year, it is known as the Helm Wind. It is a wind that develops, a curious pbenomenon that occurs along several miles of the local fells. Though we just get the tale end of it in our village.
The helm wind is a strong, blustery easterly wind that descends the western slope of the Cross Fell Range in Cumbria, northern Enlgand. It roars as it gusts and seems to be able to penetrate the smallest gaps and make your house chill. In certain years it has been so strong that it has wrongly been called a hurricane. A predictor of this wind is the helmet or cap of a certain type of cloud that forms above Cross Fell escarpement itself.


Matisse

Even between the showers, when the sun comes out and the clouds scud across the sky, it is too gusty and blowy to chance doing anything in the garden. Luckily none or my plants are large enough to have been damaged, apart from the honeysuckle its wire backing has been partly ripped from the wall. I am hoping for a good weekend to sort that problem out. Today I am determined to sort my desk in my workroom which is an absolute disgrace, and I must get Sweetpea's bedroom put to rights [I have been storing things in there] and after she has been to Jamaica, at the beginning of June, she will be coming to stay for a few days in the middle of June. So the bad weather is the perfect excuse to sort out her room and make it welcoming again. I know when the weather gets better, I will make any excuse to put off doing her room and to spend my time in the garden.


By the way, if anyone wants to take my 'Greedy Juicy Summer' banner and use it as a badge on their sidebar that's fine by me. The painting is a still life by Cezanne and is not copyrighted and the words are mine.


14 comments:

Sheila said...

When I was living in England we had a hawthorn hedge right across the bottom of our garden. It was very very old, and there was an even older plum orchard on the other side.
I loved the flowers but my mother was almost paranoid about me picking them, and I was forbidden to bring them into the house. The thorns too were memorable and should you get one in your finger, as I frequently did, it would become septic quite quickly. I never knew why I was not supposed to pick theses blossoms, and I don't think my mother did either, it was just one of those things that 'country folk' knew..!
I loved learning about May blossom here..thanks again Daisy..!

Julie said...

Thank you so much for the information on the hawthorn. I mentioned it briefly in my post about May Day, but your post was so much more informative and interesting. I also liked reading about the Helm Wind. In ND we get the Chinook, which is a WARM winter wind that comes down the eastern slopes of the Rocky Mountains snd across the plains of Montana.

tlchang said...

Dear Daisy - my favorite purveyor of naturalistic and esoteric knowledge and wisdom! I love hawthorns - and treelore of all sorts if you must know. (hmmm... I really ought to consult you on one of my longterm, ongoing projects... Maybe after this next deadline).

It was lovely getting caught up on your blog. (Glad to see you reading Charles de Lint). I've been so busy and then *gone*, but hopefully my life will come back to some semblence of normalcy now... We can hope.

Hugs!

Anonymous said...

Woooo what wonderful pieces of art and pictures you shared with us!
I love that you have pictures and written work on there. Sometimes I can't concentrate enough to read and sometimes I can. I'm always at home when I visit your blog! Thanks!
*HUGS*

KaiBlue said...

What an interesting post, arn't Hawthorns the most ancient of plants..
Im missing England again Ms Daisy.
PEace, Kai.

Bimbimbie said...

Hello Daisy, just wanted to say hello and let you know you have re-kindled my interest in folkelore. My grandparents gave me a wonderful book on Folkelore, Myths and Legends of Britain for my 14th birthday. Its my most treasured book and getting a little more attention from me once again.

gma said...

Faeries show themselves among the Oak,Ash and Thorn....how great...all of those grow in Sedona no wonder it's so magic!!!
Alot of information here and the prints are wonderful as always!
xo

Naturegirl said...

Daisy very interesting that Hawthorn plant.I would most certainly be very quiet if only to see these faeries you speak of!!Shhh... great photos displayed.
I wish you a ~Happy Mothers Day~ we celebrate tomorrow Sunday 13th!
hugs NG

Tinker said...

I love all of the wonderful faierie folklore and wisdom you share, Daisy. Hope the weather stays just right for you! XO

Gretel said...

I was brought up not to cut hawthorn as it was bad luck...yet the other day I found a makeshift Mayday altar in the woods with bunches of it laid out - so whoever it was obviously didnt know.

It sounds as if we got the best of the weather in Cumbria with that hot spell - glad I'm not in a tent there now if that'is what it's like!

mrsnesbitt said...

Weather eh?????
Nearly as dismal as a shelter in Thirsk Train Station!!!!

Dxxx

Lisa Oceandreamer Swifka said...

This was SO interesting. I don't think we have those here. I find it so fascinating they have such beautiful blooms yet the potential to harm with the thorns. I like learning these tidbits of fae and folklore information I didn't know before...makes wanting to go to England even stronger. Perhaps one day when we meet we can walk and talk and I will get to see and experience some of this in person. What a joy that would be.
XOXO

Lila Rostenberg said...

I LOVE the Matisse print you used!!! It is one I have never seen before.

Janet said...

I'm always amazed at the wealth of knowledge you have about plants and Mother Nature. You are truly an amazing woman, and I learn so much from your blog.