Thursday, May 17, 2007

TRIALS AND TRIBULATIONS THAT MAKE YOU REALISE YOU MUST KEEP CELEBRATING EVERY SMALL JOY



What a week it has been so far, and it is only Thursday! There was I on Monday celebrating my one year blog anniversary, by Tuesday I had had the Spanish Police on the phone to let me know my son was fine after an incident. He and his three friends were returning to their hotel when one of friends, decided to go into the bar opposite the hotel and get a couple of bottles of wine for them to drink whilst sitting on the balcony. He was set upon by two young Spaniards, one of whom tried to steal his wallet, he ran out of the bar after the guy and my son and friends on the balcony ran down to help him catch the guy. Unfortunately, the two guys suddenly turned into a crowd and there was rather a rough few minutes. Luckily it was all sorted out, but it was quite a shock at the time.

Mucha


Tuesday, I sat down at the computer after breakfast and found out the terrible news about one of our Glitter Sisters, Claire, who, in her prime, has had a stroke. Emails and phone calls followed this news. I felt so shocked only a few weeks ago Mrs. Nesbitt, Sue, Kai, Kai's sister, Lorna, Claire and I had met up in Thirsk where we had such a lovely time getting to know each other in the real world. This lovely vibrant woman is now recovering in hospital, she has recovered her feeling in her right arm and legs, can understand and read but is having speech problems at the moment, though she should slowly get this back, though it will be long haul. We English Glitter Sisters do have some lovely ideas in the pipeline for her though. Please keep her in your thoughts and wish her a speedy recovery.



My friend Robyn has an interesting posting on her blog today, about how she felt as if for a moment time stood still, and the earth was gathering up its energies to breathe again. This made me think about liminal times and places, and I thought you might like to know about these. Liminal comes from the Latin word limen meaning a threshold. Places and times that are lininal are of great importance, a sort of 'betwixt and between' space between two realities. These are supposed to be places and times when you go pass through a portal into another reality or fae creatures and spirits are at their strongest and easier to see and interact with if you dare. Everyone's personal liminal time is one that happens at least twice a night,. that is the time you fall asleep and the time you wake up. As you go to sleep you can sometimes think that you have seen strange faces or shadows and when you wake up it takes you time to remember if what is in your mind was real or what you were dreaming. I think it is one liminal time we can all relate to.

If you think about liminal time, you can go from a year to a day with liminal points. In the year the liminal points are the equinoxes, the solstices, times when one season moved into another. In the day dawn and dusk, when the day is 'betwixt and between' dark and light, and also midday when it the time of no shadows and some add midnight into liminal time, the end of one day and the beginning of the next. Often I find at dawn or dusk, you get that moment of stillness, a silence unbroken by birds or beast, a time where not even a breeze stirs the leaves in the trees, when you can almost reach out and touch the heaviness of the air and silence. That is a time to stay still and peer into dark or shadowy spaces, or movments around the outer edges of your vision.

Bocklin

Liminal places can be covered by two types, one bound by the elements and one made by man. People often say, I just love the coast, being at the sea, it's balm to my soul, there is an extra electric feeling in the air. This is because all coast is liminal, a border between water, earth and air, a place where the air can haze, shimmer, and move. Mountain tops as well are liminal, a border between the air and earth. Druids had their own special liminal places, their oak groves, especially those near running water. I know a wood near where I live where you walk through and come across a stream winding its way over rocks with trees on either side, this is a liminal space. Waterfalls and caves can be too. You can usually feel when you are in one, you don't what it is, there is just a sort of difference in the air there, a difference in the atmosphere but you would find it hard to put your finger on exactly what it is. To hear a blackbird singing in a place like this is an extra sign, as according to the Druids the blackbird guards the portals to other worlds.

Malham, Yorkshire

Man made liminal places are usually crossing points, bridges, especially those crossing water are liminal places as are stepping stones. Sometimes you hear of people having a fear of bridges, and I often wonder if this is from the collective unconciousness, a knowledge of the specialness of these places. Crossroads, are also liminal, many many myths and folklore have tales involving crossroads. People were hung from them, the devil is supposed to lurk around them for lost souls and witches also gather round them. Country people like to avoid crossroads in the dark of the night.

I am sure if you think about it we all do know some of these liminal places, and maybe think they are special but are unsure why. I think some people call these liminal places, vortexes. Also savour the atmosphere, at dawn or dusk, especially at dusk if you are sitting out in the garden on a summer night and peer carefully into the fading light
.

E De Morgan

Have you noticed my new banner to my blog? Ms Robyn made this for me, and I finally deduced how to add it to my blog. Wow! I am certainly becoming a computer teckie!!!!! Also sorry if I haven't visited your blogs for a while, I know I am Blogging Without Obligation, but I don't seem to have been commenting on some for quite some time. All will be put right soon, its just I have taken a longterm swap over and have been busy sorting out themes, partners, and other communication aspects with the members. As I said in the title of this blog. I think this week makes you realise that you should appeciate the small joys of everyday and try to make more of them, life is for savouring the tiny satisfying making you happy things as well as the large occasional joys.




18 comments:

Bimbimbie said...

I enjoyed reading about liminal time. Pre drawn is my special time .... just to sit, watch, listen and feel as night fades into daylight.

... wishing your friend Claire a speedy recovery

J C said...

I, too, favor the pre-dawn hours. The stillness, the silence, the clairity of peace. However, check out GroggyFroggy's blog for her just after dawn audio of the singing birds. It will make you happy! xoxoxoxoxo

Sheila said...

I didn't know that was what these things were called. I've experienced it at a place we stay at every summer. Standing at the edge of the lake, in the very early morning, when the water looks like glass, it's like time is standing still, then suddenly you are brought back by the haunting call of a *loon*. (A *native duck*, not a strange person..LOL)
I'm sorry to hear about your son, and hope he is okay.

Lisa Oceandreamer Swifka said...

I have always had a stirring at dusk - there's a time, most especially have daylight savings time, when the it's still light out but it's waning. I've never been able to describe this well at all. There is just something about that time, where I feel very peaceful. Perhaps this is why. Also I used to go camping...with my family first most of my life then G and I. Emerging from the tent in the early morning hours, all is still, standing there listening to the morning birds or the rustling of the trees or a lapping of the lake...where I just wanted to bottle and savor it.

I am glad your son is ok, btw, that must have been frightening!

Claire is in my thoughts ALL the time!
XOXO

KaiBlue said...

Liminal time is an interesting concept isn't it? I think people can pass through into special places in theirs. Maybe I'll discuss it one day..

Love the picture of Malham, Ive been to the Tarn with my dad quite a few times..
PEace, Kai xxoxx

Carole Burant said...

Liminal time...you always come up with such interesting subjects and ones that I've never really thought about but once you mention them, make me think so much more about them!! I love getting up very early and sitting out on the deck just before the sun starts to rise...I feel one with nature at that time, when all I hear are the birds singing around me! Like Lisa, I remember camping and loving to get up before daylight! Oh dear, what a thing to happen to your son...hopefully everything is ok!!! xox

Miss Robyn said...

I wonder if this is where we go when we are under anaesthetic? it the between time space?

Anonymous said...

I love visiting your blog! Wonderful post! I love it!
*HUGS*

Julie said...

Thank you for helping me understand what I now must realize was a liminal event. (Read my blog for today.)

Prayers for your friend Claire.

ChrisJ said...

I love the paintings you have on your blog. Are they your own or are some done by others? Where do you find them? The lady sitting by the sea is beautiful.
Thanks for visiting my blog. I did discover that Janet has ancestors that came from Flamborough. 3 weeks tomorrow I will be there !!!
Glad your son is OK. It is a sad world when safety is so perilous.

ChrisJ

Miss Robyn said...

sometimes at night or even if I have a sleep during the day - I hear voices as i drift off - I can never capture what they are saying - it is like being in a crowded space with many conversations going on at once.
Also, it happened a few days ago, I was sitting at my computer, and I was in Cornwall in the 1800's - hearing my great,great grandad talk about his day - it was really weird.

gma said...

Daisy...happy all is well with your son....nothing like a scuffle in a foriegn country.... YIKES!
Love spending time in oaks groves growing near water....especially waking up there in Oak Creek Canyon Az....near Sedona
:-)

Rowan said...

So sorry to hear about your friend Claire,I hope she makes a full recovery. Glad that all turned out OK with your son too, that must have been a real shock.
I enjoyed reading about liminal places and times - you always have such interesting things to say.

Lila Rostenberg said...

Lovely and educational post...you would be a wonderful teacher/professor, but at least we have you here in "blogland!"
Like Gemma, I especially love being in Oak Creek Canyon in Arizona...(near Sedona which is a vortex).
More good information about the blackbird, too!
I hope your son enjoys his time in Spain regardless of the recent fracas!

Unknown said...

You son's experience is one I'm familiar with in parts of Europe. Glad he is okay and Happy Blog Anniversary! Been a while since I dropped by!

tlchang said...

Lovely thoughts... I seem to find midnight - when the moon is out - feels like that to me.

Best wishes to your son and your friend...

Julie said...

Daisy,

I am so looking forward to the time when you post about your liminal experience.

By the way, I tagged you (see my blog). I hope you don't mind. I hate to bother people. I never know if they like or dislike this sort of thing.

Julie

couragetocreatewriteandlove said...

My prayers are with your friend Claire.
This is very interesting and I am reading it one more time in order to share this with friends and family. I considere myself a nature being. Mornings are the best of the day for me.
And like you, I am very impatient with trafic or waiting for a bus but very gladly to explain again to others, I do get tears in my eyes easily and am very sympathetic, too.