Saturday, March 03, 2007

TREEHUGGER



I’ll come right out and say it, I am a tree hugger, there is nothing like throwing your arms round a tree or pressing your face gently against the bark and inhaling the wonderful smell of it. In Autumn you can feel the tree quietly preparing for its winter sleep and in Spring you can share the exhilaration of the juicy and zesty sap.

My daughter once told me that my son and her were talking about their names, luckily both are satisfied with them, but my son pointed out to her that they were lucky to have regular names, saying you know what Mum and Dad were like, we could have ended up Treehugger and Starshine. Sometimes to tease, I call this giant over six foot, hulking man Treehugger and visualise him hugging a tree.



My favourite tree of all is the Silver Birch, there is one just outside my back garden on the piece of common land, I love to watch the leaves appear in the spring and the wind rustling through its leaves on a Summer’s day. It bows and sweeps its leaves so majestically like a fine lady dancing a very intricate medieval court dance. In fact, another name in mythology for the Silver Birch is Lady of the Woods, which I think just fits exactly. The Silver Birch protects from evil and a broom made of birch twigs will sweep negative forces from your house. A few birch twigs in a vase at your door will invite healing spirits into your house. It also is a useful tree to take a tiny twig of in your pocket as another aspect is protection whilst on a journey.



The Silver Birch also represents and works with the Moon. Once every so often I am lucky enough to be able to watch the full moon through or over the branches of the Silver birch tree. Adjacent to the silver birch is a rown tree which compliments the silver birch, I feel so lucky to have both so near to me.



The Fungus Fly Agaric [other wise known as the Magic Mushroom] has a symbiotiac relationship with the silver birch as it merges with the roots of the tree and help it to absorb minerals in exchange for sugars from the tree. This is the mushroom beloved of illustrators of fairy stories from which we usually see fairies peering round or sitting on top of. I must admit I have never seen any of these around my Silver Birch, though I have been told it is only about ten years old, I have noticed how much it has grown in the time we have lived in the cottage, they are very fast growing trees.



This young man, my son, is 29 years old today. Wasn't he a sweetie? [Sorry mummyitis!] He looks as good as gold, as though he could never get into mischief, sitting on the chair with the statue he won for playing cricket. How deceptive a photograph can be, he was a cheeky cheerful little boy, that people would forgive anything, his fun and cheekiness were never malicious just natural boyish fun. He is still full of fun and can always make me laugh with his hilarious comments and stories. He will be spending his birthday evening DJing at a local club. Happy Birthday TREEHUGGER! [It could have been your name couldn't it?]

So this is my lazy weekend, I am just taking a break from being lazy by getting this posting done. We intend to settle in tonight to watch a dvd, have a drink or two and maybe even some chocolates. After the house returns to just the two of us tomorrow afternoon, I am going to pack up, ready to post, any projects that need to be sent and sort out some bits and pieces to do with admin for Daisy Lupin Designs, then another slothful evening ready for a good full week of creating.



As some of you probably know from Kai's blog, the first international meeting of the GPS will take place in Yorkshire, whilst Kai is in England. I am travelling over from Cumbria and Mrs Nesbitt is travelling from Whitby and we are meeting in Thirsk. Do you think the world can stand this moment? So if on 19th March you feel a jolt or suddenly for a few seconds that time stops, a sort of hiccup in time, it could be the four [Kai is bringing her sister] of us meeting each other. We will be sending out some pretty poweful vibes, maybe a good time to try and heal the Earth.
Will we recogise each other? What will we sound like to each other? Should we sprinkle glitter all over ourselves so we know each other? This is a very exciting occasion, and I hope the first of many for meeting my friends from cyberspace.


The other event I have been involved in since I last posted was an open meeting of my Local History Group for which I had engaged a speaker to give an illustrated slide show on our village and its immediate surroundings. It was a fascinating talk, and I think even people who have lived here all their lives found at least one new fact about our village. I was especially pleased as despite it being a cold night sixty three people turned up for this evening event. I am so glad that people are showing so much interest.

17 comments:

Carole Burant said...

The one time I tried to hug a tree, I got sap all over myself! lol I thought it was so fascinating about the silver birch and the magic mushroom...I didn't know about all that! I've never even seen of those mushrooms around here!! Happy Birthday to your brother...I mean TreeHugger! hehe Oh how wonderful that you, Mrs. Nesbitt & Kai will be meeting...wish I could be there tooooo!! xox

Miss Robyn said...

I have those mushrooms popping up in my garden quite often - they spring up under my pine tree, always in a circle - funny thing is that under my pine tree is my sacred space.
I am totally totally jealous of your meeting up - I wish I could be there. March 19 is my wedding anniversary though so I won't be able to make it... next year yes as it is 20 yrs for us and we hope to be travelling to Cornwall soon after that.
thankyou for the information on silver birch - I have one in my garden and now I can pick some to put at my door and I will take a twig with me always...
off to finish the goddess of the moon...

Miss Robyn said...

oh and happy birthday to TreeHugger - love it!

Suzie Q said...

Many Happy Returns to your lovely son, Daisy! :) What a beautiful post.
I love silver birches, too, and have two beauties in my back yard (too much concrete to call it a garden!).
They were my Grandad's favourite tree, too, and he did some wonderful paintings of them.
How wonderful to be meeting some of your fellow bloggers! I've yet to meet any of mine, and know it will be a wonderful occasion when I do! I hope you get plenty of photo's to share, and that you have a glorious day together.
Have a wonderfully creative week ahead :)
Hugs,
Suze xXx

Lisa Oceandreamer Swifka said...

First of all Happy Birthday to Treehugger! You know your son looks just exactly like you from earlier photos you've shown when you were a kid. I am afraid if I could have had children they may very well have had some "different" names. lol!
Interesting info on the silver birch, we have no trees around us (can you even believe that?)- I desperately want to plant some so will keep that one on the forefront.
Oh how I wish I could be there on the 19th (I think I've said this on each blog - lol!). Although we still hope to come to the UK this year, $ will be the deciding factor come fall.
Enjoy your quiet/chill time - there's been a lot going on and you deserve to just now stop and put your feet up.
XOXO
Love,
Lisa

KaiBlue said...

I am also a tree hugger, my favorite trees are redwoods and I adore their Cathedral stature , but gentle timeless nature.. Im in awe of them.
I can't believe how excited and nervous I am to meet you, Denise and Anna-Claire.. I get the feeling it will be very silly.. :)
Peace n fun, Kai.

Lila Rostenberg said...

Those are fantastic mushrooms! I had no idea that they really exist!
Happy Birthday to your son! We will all be looking forward to feeing "something" on the 19th! It is great that you can get together in Yorkshire!

J C said...

It's soooooo exciting that you all are meeting up with our sweet Kai. I'm sure we will feel it like "the shot heard 'round the world",eh? ;)

Rowan said...

I'm a lover of trees too, Rowan is the Lady of the Mountains, sister to the silver birch.I'm glad your local history group meeting was so succesful, learning about the history of the place where you live is totally fascinating. Happy Birthday to your son, hope he had a great day.

gma said...

Yep...I've been busted hugging a tree before...You can feel some great energy and love hugging a tree. Hope your son enjoyed his Birthday....and I know you are going to have a real fun @ the international GPS gathering. Do something magical for all of us...we send you fairy dust....

Beth said...

I do love trees too. My favorite is Japanese maples,,I love the colors. I know you will have a great time meeting with Kai and Ms. Nesbitt. Glitter Power!!! I will be thinking of you all on the 19th.

ms stacia said...

Thank so much for my wonderful Lady of the Greenery. She is so awesome. I don't think there is anything wrong with hugging trees.

Shop girl said...

I am so lucy to have 100 year old tree's. But I never thought of hugging one...but I will now.
Thank You for the stores.

Miss Robyn said...

see that picture at the very top of this posting? don't you think it looks like me? It looks like me, looking over the valleys near the 3 sisters... even the trees look like our native eucalypts... do you mind if I copy it for my soul journal?

Tinker said...

This post made me laugh when I came to the bit about the names - my kids might have said something very similar. Your son looks adorable! and sounds like he's grown into a wonderful young man. A belated happy birthday to him! xo

couragetocreatewriteandlove said...

Happy birthday to your son! I enjoy every single of your posts Today! I love trees very much and yes Silver birch is one of my favorites, I will buy something from you as soon as your business is ready to go! Lots of luck and have lots of fun on March 19!!!

Heather said...

Happy belated birthday to your treehugger!! I also think Silver Birch trees are gorgeous but unfortunately to me I am deathly allergic and in fact birch trees are at the root of my food intolerences and allergies! Oh well.