Tuesday, March 27, 2007

A CERTAIN SOMETHING IN THE AIR



You wake up one morning and open the bedroom window, immediately you know something has changed and you take a deep breath. Yes! At last there it is that certain something in the air, the quality of Spring.

That is what happened on Saturday morning. What exactly is this quality? It's hard to describe, a certain softness and warming of the air currents, even though it is still early morning, a tint of colour in the sky, a sky that no longer looks like a Winter Steel Grey, a slight difference in the shades of green of the plants and tree buds, a sharper more acid green. Birds that try just that little bit more joyously when singing the dawn chorus and in the distance the baaing of ewes waiting to lamb.

The sun rose higher in the bright blue sky, all my Saturday plans went flying away, as I ran around the cottage gathering up plants in pots, that had been patiently waiting such a day to be planted, ever since they arrived from the nursery, and even the moon was right for planting. The bliss, the utter complete bliss, to be in my garden again, nothing matches the first proper gardening stint of each Spring. I spotted a solitary ladybird sitting on one of my perennials and welcomed her back to my garden, encouraging to enjoy munching the aphids later in the year and a single bee was doing a survey on my honeysuckle, before reporting back to the hive.

All my climbers and tubers planted and I celebrated by sitting down at the garden table with a welcome cup of coffee, my eyes darting backwards and forwards looking for what is showing green and working out what plants to add this year, scribbling some notes on a piece of paper before going inside to order them. To sit in the garden smelling the earth and the plants feeling the warmth of a late March sun on my head, how much better could it get?, it just couldn't, it is perfection



I went on my country bus ride into the town today, basically to finish off the shopping I failed to do last time, the school's finish for their spring breaks on Friday, so I want to steer clear of town when the kids are all milling round. The only exception I will make is to the visit the Continental Market that is due to hit town on Easter weekend, to replenish my stocks of Provencial soap. It was one of my lucky days in poundland, lot of wonderful tea light holders, glass hanging lights for the garden in summer, its amazing to be spending just £1 on these when the 'quality' magazines advertise them at ridiculous prices, also beautiful japanese paper lanterns that light up by battery and a small bulb and wonderful multi coloured bamboo spirals to twirl in the wind in the garden. I can just visualise it on a warm summer's evening, when it happens I will take photos. Also managed to get some strips of lovely assorted embellishments for altered art. Wow, Poundland yay!

.


One of items I bought in Poundland was a box of yellow Easter Chickens. We don't really bother decorating for Easter over here, apart from kids displaying their chocolate eggs. I've decided to bring back my treasure branch I decorated at Christmas, only this time I will make an Easter Branch out of it, fluffy little yellow chicks can sit in it and maybe some Daisy Lupin Fripperies, I'll have to find out if I can source some tiny feathered birds, if any one knows where, [in England] please let me know. If it works out I'll take photos of it, also, naturally, I will fill the rooms with daffodils.

At the very top left of my sidebar there is now a link to Daisy Lupin Designs, which is to showcase and sell the items I am making, just a few things up at present but more to follow during the coming weeks.



One last item before I go, I have just had an email from ROBYN'S [Wednesday's Child] daughter, to say she has had a mishap, she was opening a parcel with scissors, they slipped and went into her arm. Poor Robyn had to go to hospital and have stitches put in her arm, so will probably not be able to type for a while. I sent an email to as many of her contacts as I could, but if I missed you, I am sorry, but now you have read it here. She will return as soon as her arm permits and I am sure you will keep her in your thoughts and wish her well and a speedy recovery. So GET WELL SOON ROBYN and back to your blog.

15 comments:

Gill said...

We are heading into Autumn here nad have actually had some rain.It was wonderfull to hear the rain falling on the roof last night.
Sad to hear about Robyn, wondered why she had not done her blog, will email her today.

Take care
Gill

Pam Aries said...

Hi Daisy! Isn't Spring the BEST! I am giddy! ha! Sorry to hear about Robyn..how dramatic! I wonder how many stitches she had? That must have been quite the blow ! hope you are well! I see that Kai is home ! She is Such a sweetie!

Lisa Oceandreamer Swifka said...

I can feel your bliss as you get back in to your garden! Spring is definitely sprung in gardens all over blogland - I so wish I had that talent.
So sorry to hear about pour Robyn, needing stitches must mean she cut it pretty deep. That was nice of her daughter to let you know.
Happy to see you have Daisy Lupin Designs up and going. Good for you, I truly hope it's very successful.
XOXO

Janet said...

I'm sitting here with the wind howling outside and the heater running because it's turned chilly again. I can envy you your warm spring day and the lovely garden you're creating. I'm looking forward to seeing all your flowers.
Poor Robyn. I hope it wasn't too bad, and that she'll be all better soon.

J C said...

Girl, your green thumb is active already! I know your garden will be gorgeous. You seem to have such a nice, pleasant life. I'm envious. And you always post such GORGEOUS pictures of paintings. Love them!

Beth said...

Isnt' it wonderful to have Spring again? Its been so hot here and very dry, we have been having a drought but today we got over a inch of rain. You should hear all of my tulips and thrift singing when the raindrops hit their pretty little faces,lol. I will be thinking about Robyn, hate to hear about her arm. Take care Dear Daisy!

Sheila said...

Today it finally felt like spring here as well. The continental market sounds great. Have you ever though of making your own soap, with the lavender and herbs that you grow ?
Your garden sounds like it will be glorious. I look forward to photos. I emailed Robyn, I hope she will soon be feeling better, what a terrible thing to happen.
Your Daisy Lupin DEsigns site looks very good.Well done.

Lisa said...

I thought of your post as I took a walk yesterday morning. I recalled bits and pieces of your descriptions.I felt we had communed just a bit. :) I am such a novice in the garden that I allow the fear to put me off just a bit, but seeing as I got a tiller for Christmas I think I'm going to have to get out there and trust the life force to make up for what I neglect or overwater. lol

So sorry to hear about Robyn's arm.We'll have to send her lots of extra love.

mrsnesbitt said...

Well the Spring was dropped a few degrees over here up on moors by gum! LOL!
Cold day too so I am visiting all my friends blogs to find some sunshine!
Love
Dxx

gma said...

Dear Daisy....
Ahhh great description of Spring.
So glad you are enjoying it! A whimsical treasure tree sounds so charming. I have a Manzanita branch that changes with the seasons. Your Fripparies on the branches will be precious.

Tinker said...

Sounds like you've been having a lovely spring so far - can't wait to see photos of your garden and your Easter/spring treasure tree.

Thanks for letting us know about Miss Robyn - I'm praying for her speedy recovery.

Enjoy your lovely spring days, Miss Daisy! xoxo

Carole Burant said...

Spring is finally making itself known here too...I've just come back in from moving some of the straw on my flower beds and woohoo my crocuses are coming up!!! The last of our snow finally went last week! I was so sorry to hear about Robyn, hopefully she'll heal quickly!! xox

Shop girl said...

I love your name...it sounds like spring. your blog was a treat, everything was fresh. It was a cold wenter here in Idaho, so when I saw that my tulips were showing their green leaves, I felt renewed.
Mary

Miss Robyn said...

Your garden sounds absolutely magickal, Daisy. Those pound shops sound great too - I must check ours out to see if they have any of those wonderful spirals.

couragetocreatewriteandlove said...

Your writing is wonderful as always, so vivid! I got kind of busy at work but here I am. Reading and learning.
I see your wonderful dolls are ready for a new home and I am ready, too. Yes please! I will contact you.
Thank you for letting us know about beloved Robin.