Monday, March 05, 2007

FAIRY STEPS




I was interested to note on Robyn's site the photograph of the fairy steps she had taken, and that made me remember that in my county we also have some fairy steps. Photographs of which are at the beginning of this blog and below.

In the bottom western part of Cumbria here is a village called Beetham, and from that village a path through woodland climbs to Beetham fell [mountain] and that leads to the Fairy Steps. The steps are a natural staircase in limestone crags. On two levels. As you can see it is a narrow passage that squeezes between two sheer rock face crags. The legend says that if you manage to ascend or descend these steps without touching either of the limestone crags the fairies will grant you a wish. I fear that unless you are of the stature of a fairy there is no chance of an adult human achieving this task. Those with second sight are believed to be able to witness the fairy folk skipping up the steps.



Beetham Steps are on what are known in the region of Cumbria as a Corpse trail. These are paths that criss cross Cumbria where corpses were carried in their coffins to burial at a local church, usually they are in the remoter parts of the region. You can see the iron rings in the crags where the ropes were put through to lower the coffin down to the next level. A lot of these old corpse roads abound in legends. Another legend about Beetham and the corpse road is of The Cappel a fiery eyed demon dog that can appear.

The fairies of Beetham Steps are in the bottom part of Cumbria, but there is a legend concerning the fairy people, much nearer to me which is called The Luck of Edenhall. Edenhall was the residence of the Musgrave family. It is said that in the garden of this house there was a well full of excellent springwater known as St Cuthbert's Well. There was a sacred chalice that had once belonged to the nearby church, also known as St Cuthbert's which the fairies had long ago purloined. It is said that one evening a servant went to draw water from this well and surprised a group of fairies playing on the green near the well. They had dropped the chalice by the well whilst they amused themselves and the crafty servant snatched it up, they flew at him and tried to recover it but after a struggle gave it up. They flew away chanting 'If that glass either break or fall, Farewell the luck of Edenhall'.



The actual chalice is now in the V & A museum in London. It is made of Syrian glass in the 13th century, and enamelled. It has a leather case to be kept in [ there is a photograph of it above]. It is obviously some artifact brought back from the Crusades. It stayed with Musgrave family for a couple of hundreds of years, one of Musgraves, was said to have a party trick of tossing the chalice in the air and letting a manservant catch it. Another generation of Musgraves used to take turns of drinking out of it, a napkin, held beneath the glass so no harm could come to it. However, I fear that although the chalice remains unbroken, the luck of Edenhall did run out as it burnt down in 1934.



I can now show you, as in the photograph above, the healing spirit doll I made for the Hello Dolly, doll swap for Stacia. I didn't want to show this doll on my site until she had received it. This doll is called 'Lady of the Greenery' and is a healing spirit doll that also wishes to heal planet Earth as well. I am now beginning this month's doll which I am making for Kai, this is a Moon Goddess, as that is the theme this month. I am hoping to be able to personally hand this one over to her. What fun! - I feel nervous and giggly already!



This gorgeous box of goodies from a Secret Fairy landed on my doorstep on Saturday. Thank you so much Kris, it is absolutely gorgeous. All so beautifully wrapped, it contained a sweet handmade cushion decorated with pompoms and with an appliqued cupcake on, a lovely squishy teddy bear, a notebook which is a two year planner, that should keep me on track with my projects, a lovely ATC and handmade card and some yummy chocolates, Ferraro Rocher [my favourites], some samples of other chocolates and a Hershey Bar, of the most gorgeous dark chocolate filled with cranberries and macedonia nuts - delish! And the fulfillment of a dream, when I was a little girl and my cousin used to send me American comics, I always wanted to try a Hershey bar, and decades later I have.



A coda to my musings on time, I have just come across an article that mentions the fact that most people now say that time is accelerating, [which is what I had been thinking] and suggests that this is due to us coming near to the end of the Mayan calendar wheel. I shall be looking into this theory and reporting back to you all
.

19 comments:

KaiBlue said...

I love the fairy steps..those are magic.. :)
Peace, Kai

Tinker said...

I loved seeing the fairy steps on Robyn's site, and now yours. The fairy steps are enchanting! Such a fun and informative post - I love reading all the birs of history you include.

It's wonderful that you and Kai are going to meet up! Enjoy! xo

Mary Bee said...

Hi Daisy: Love the fairy steps fotoz. They are gorgeous. And I'll be back to see what you find out about the Mayan Calendar and the speeding up of time. Interesting concept. Would be curious to hear about that.

Lila Rostenberg said...

What an amazing post with fairy legends, and a Mayan calendar! You live in an amazing place! Your healing doll is a treasure! We would all love to be with you when Kai is handed the moon goddess doll you are making now!!

Lisa Oceandreamer Swifka said...

Wow, those fairy steps are amazing and magical...you would definitely have to be of fairy size to use them. Thank you for all that fascinating history including the chalice.
Love the doll you made and what an extraordinary thing to be able to actually hand Kai hers. I so wish I was going to be there...I am longing to go to the UK again.
XOXO
Love,
Lisa

Miss Robyn said...

yes, the Mayan Calendar has alot to do with everything that is happening right now...

do you realize that your faery steps are very similar to the area where Picnic at Hanging rock was filmed?
hmmmm I wonder ....

Rowan said...

I enjoyed reading about the fairy steps and the corpse trails. The Mayan calendar theory sounds intriguing - look forward to your findings on that. As you said before it isn't just older people who are remarking how quickly time is passing, younger people also seem aware of it too.

Kate Robertson said...

Oh those fairy steps are so cool, thanks for sharing them. I wish I were coming with Kai to meet you too! What a fun place you live in.

Kate

tlchang said...

Oh, I love the fairy steps! (More pictures? Too cool!)

And yes - I had not connected your time query with the Mayan calendar, but that's a very interesting thought.

Suzie Q said...

Love those fairy steps, Daisy, and that chalice is so beautiful! Thoroughly enjoyed reading this post, thank you :) Wonderful goodies you've been sending and receiving, too! It must be really exciting to know that you'll be meeting some of your fellow bloggers in the flesh soon. Excellent! :) I am learning so much from you, and can't wait to hear what you have to say about the Mayan calendar. Thank you so much for your encouragement, Daisy. I really appreciate it. Have a lovely day :)

gma said...

Wow Daisy that was a cool post. Loved the fairy steps... let us know info about the Mayan calendar....sounds intruiging!!!
xo Oooh just love your dolls...Healer of the Desert is sitting here by me now...and she's wonderful!!!!
"Hi" to Kai and MrsN

Annie Jeffries said...

Oh Daisy, the fairy steps are so enchanting. I loved the story of these steps and the corpse road story was fascinating.

J C said...

Great post Mz. Daisy! Love the doll you made. You and Kai are going to have so much fun! Have you or Kai heard from Ray? Is she going to try to make it also?

Gypsy Purple said...

Lovely post....I`ll wait by the steps to see if the fairies come....

Carole Burant said...

Oh Daisy, I so loved hearing about the Faerie Steps...that's what I love about England, you have centuries of legends...Canada is such a young country, we don't really have many legends here! lol Anytime I read about faeries I just get transported back in time. Love it!! Love the healing doll you made...I'm always fascinated with them!! As for the package you received, oh how wonderful, lots of goodies in there:-) Well, I'm glad to hear that it's NOT our imagination that time seems to be going by faster!!!! xoxo

TJ said...

I enjoyed your post on the faerie steps!!
:-D

MrBrownThumb said...

Wow those photos of the fairy steps is pretty cool

Heather said...

Those fairy step pictures are so magical!! I love the idea of this and will be on the lookout for some fairy steps near to me!!

Jay River said...

You seem to be a fan of Edward S. Curtis, so you will find the following to be of interest.

THE INDIAN PICTURE OPERA, a new film on the works of Curtis is a re-creation of a 1911 Curtis Slide show and lecture. The dvd can be searched out on CustomFlix.com .

This production goes way beyond the images themselves. It's a virtual vignette on E.S.Curtis's observations from a century ago.

The film probes the foundations of native American deitys, beiliefs, and the quest for food.

I'm sure you will enjoy!