Tuesday, March 13, 2007

THE MOON AND HER MYSTERIOUS WAYS




I have spoken before about how much I love the Moon and relish the Full Moon, and the surge in creativity it sends me. Thinking about the moon, and at the moment we are heading towards the dark day of the Moon, I thought I would do a posting to try to explain how important the moon is in our lives.

The Moon replicates the natural rhythm of the whole universe. The Moon throughout the year, enacts our lifetime every lunar month. She is born, she grows, she is magnificent in her full prime, then she fades and in the darkness dies, to be reborn again. This is the circle of life, and the Moon repeats it month after month.

As opposed to the twelve month solar calendar we get a thirteen month lunar calendar. Our solar calendar is very familiar to us, we know the twelve months, and the seasons that contain them. We follow this solar calendar easily, knowing when to plant our seeds, when to harvest them. It is the world in which we live and we happily take part in its ebb and flow without thinking too much about it. The lunar calendar, on the other hand, is a more subtle calendar, yes we can see the waxing and waning in the sky, but not all of us realise the invisible but powerful energies of the Moon and the effect they have on us. The energies of the Moon reach into our secret cores of feelings, knowing and intuition, in fact the Moon governs all of these emotions. What we need to do is learn these phases of the Moon and use them in the same way we use without thinking the solar days. We must learn to flow with the Moon's phases, as do all animals and nature and not fight against them.



At the Dark Day of the Moon, the Sun and Moon, work together affecting us in a very intense way, I want to say something about this later on. We should try to use this time, carefully and gently, it is a time to meditate on what we have achieved during the previous moon and prepare our activities for the next. A time to connect to our inner selves for guidance and insights and also a time to take note of what we dream. This should be our quiet time, almost a hibernation, don't overstretch yourself on these days.

The first Crescent Moon is the best time to begin new projects and try out new things, also to begin journies and travels. Whatever befalls you during the phases of the Moon, this first crescent it a time when you can start afresh. You need never fear failure, you have the chance thirteen times a year to try again until you are satisfied. As the Moon waxes, work towards what you are wanting to achieve in goals and nurture what we are growing. After the first quarter, try not to start any new projects.



At the Full Moon and Sun and Moon are directly opposite one another, some people can feel unbalanced at this time, as well as in the Dark Day. What some people cannot cope with at this time is the pull of the different directions. The pull between our inner and outer lives. We must try to overcome this and use this time to fulfil our projects, our creative juices run freely and we feel most inspired.

By the last Quarter, our projects should be finished and we should be spending the time finishing, ending and decluttering, ready once again for the Dark Day and the cycle of creation of our projects starting all over again.





I just want to talk about the two crucial times of the lunar month, the Dark Day before the Moon begins to wax and the full moon. On both these occasions the power of the Sun and the Moon are equal, they both have an equal gravitational pull at these times. I once read this simple explanation of these two times which has stayed with me. It is as though the Moon breathes all the time but at Dark Day and Full Moon, she takes in an extra deep breath as though pulling more air into her system. This is like the whole Moon pulling at Earth. There are differences in effect on us from these two times.

The adverse effect of the Full Moon can be more on the physical body, if we can't channel our creativity at this time, we can become hyper, disorientated, feeling slightly off balance, in fact actually feeling the physical sensations of dizziness and sickness. The effect of the Dark Day, is to me more dangerous if you don't recognize it, it is a more subtle and intangible effect that works on our minds and inner souls. If we don't recognise the effect of the Dark Day it can do us harm, it is a time when you can find yourself doubting yourself, feeling yourself lacking, just that feeling that something is not right.

The best way of overcoming these terrible times that some people feel at the Dark Day and the Full Moon, is to try to work with the Moon, try to organise so you go with the flow of the Moon's essence, begin, peak and end with her cycle as described in the phases of the Moon above. Once you work with the Moon, you will love the surge of creativity at full moon, and find you can get so much done. Also never forget the way to being 'Moontuned' as I like to think of it is by wearing Moonstones. This also has to be approached correctly, and I'll tell you about them another time.



17 comments:

Miss Robyn said...

thankyou Daisy. would you be able to email this to me? or can I copy it? I need to start charting the moon regularly and to plot my life by the moon. I have been doing it a little but not as much as I should be doing. as you know I struggle with moon phases and my emotions, often.
Is there somewhere that tells us when the quarters etc occur?
still looking forward to your daisy school of wisdom classes :)
I am wondering if my blogging emotions are affected by the moon...maybe I can start afresh on the first quarter - ooh this information is just what I have been looking for xoxo

Patty said...

Daisy
That is wonderful information, thank you for sharing it. I love the moon too and try and follow the cycles closely. I just posted a photo and verse from a card I got over the weekend that you might like to see, stop by if you have time

gma said...

What a beautiful post. I learned early on about planting and gardening by moon phases...but know very little really. I love Moonstones,(but have given them all away)Time to find another. I plan to make a copy of this post too!

Kate Robertson said...

Daisy,

This is fantastic. I too love the moon and wanted to know all the information you just gave us, I always wondered what phase of the moon was better for starting new things. Thank you.

Kate

Sheila said...

A really interesting post Daisy.
People can underestimate the effect of the moon. Especially the full moon and the dark moon, and you have explained it clearly, thanks for that.It seems the more sophisticated man becomes the more he forgets about these things, to his peril..

Carole Burant said...

I've never been one to pay attention to the moon phases but after reading what you wrote, I'm now wondering if sometimes the way I feel has to do with the moon phase at that time!! Thank you so much for the explantion on how it works...I'll pay more attention next time:-) xox

Lila Rostenberg said...

A very interesting post, Daisy!...I am beginning to pay more attention to the moon. Thank-you for sharing this and the lovely illustrations too!
(I finally found out the hour of my birth and looked up my moon sign on the internet.)

Pam Aries said...

How very insightful! when the moon is full and the Wolfbane blooms...the WereWolf comes out! ha! I definetly believe the Moon has an effect on people!

Sue Seibert said...

Daisy, that was very interesting information. I enjoyed reading it. Hope you are doing well.

Suzie Q said...

Wonderful post, Daisy. I adore the illustrations you use, too. Thank you for sharing your wisdom, I look forward to hearing more about moonstones, and to finding one to wear...

Enjoy the rest of your week, and thanks again xXx

Annie Jeffries said...

Daisy, I love the picture of the old woman and the mischievious elves. Where is this image from?

Rowan said...

I really enjoyed reading this post and found it very interesting. I'm aware of the Moon's cycles and power but I'm not as attuned to them as I'd like to be. I shall print this and make a greater effort to go with the flow.

Libbys Blog said...

This is fascinating! I had no idea the moon had such a massive effect on us!!!!

couragetocreatewriteandlove said...

Since I remember I am so atracted to the moon, too and like yourself I enjoy it very much and a full moon doesn't affect me at all althought I have notice some changes on me during some phases lately. I also have learned about being contemplative when the dark moon is approaching. Yes, I have a beautiful friendship with Luna. Please keep sharing more information with us. I know some facts but there is so much to learn for me and discover. Wisdom is my goal. Thank you Daisy. Always.

Beth said...

OH Dear Daisy,,what a great post. I do dearly love the moon and it influences my life so much. Thank you for that great information. I hope all is well with you.
xoxooxox
Beth

Tinker said...

I think the moon has more influence than most people realize. If it can move the oceans, what makes people think it wouldn't have an effect on the rest of us on the planet?
Thanks for an informative and interesting post, Daisy.

Julie said...

I just discovered your blog and love reading it. I really enjoyed your posts on moonstones and the moon. The moonstone is one of my birthstones, and I wear a moonstone ring. It seems to me that you like educating your readers, as I do in some of my posts. Regarding your comments about St. Patrick's Day, you may want to read my post on the same subject in my blog, www.celticanamcara.blogspot.com

Julie