Friday, November 17, 2006




Will someone please say to me 'Daisy you must have enough glitter, shiny paper, sequins, tinsel etc to decorate the world by now. Cease increasing the stock immediately!' I must now concentrate on the making not the buying. First though, I thought I would do this post, showing some of the challenges I am probably the last to do, I know I will probably be the last to play my Streams of Consciousness game. It, the cobbler's children and their shoes syndrome.

Up above, to the right, we have the Coffee Cup Challenge. This, technically, is my favourite coffee mug but alas I can't use it too much. It is developing fine hairline cracks, so I don't want to overuse it. I see it everytime I go into the dining room though as it hangs off a hook on my dresser. I was musing as I was colouring my mug, what fun if there was some way we could put all the cups and mugs together and look at them in a row or a square. Any one got any ideas if this is possible?

To the left, below, is my take on the Angelic Earth Challenge. Please don't look too closely at the landmasses on our planet, lets just say I used poetic or artistic license. My angel or fairy with a halo is holding the planet in her arms and weeping for the madness of human behaviour towards Mother Earth.



I don't know if anyone remembers but sometime ago I uploaded a photo of my dining room, as someone was asking about my Portmerion pottery collection. One or two people said any other rooms to show. I said, fine and tooks loads of photos of other rooms, well the ones I am 99 per cent pleased with. Well you know me, not exactly good at getting films developed they tend to hang around the house for weeks until one day, I think 'ah ha'. I have just had a film back and it has the room photos on it. I know, if we are truthful we are all nosey parkers, sticky beaks, or whatever the local word is for being 'curious' shall we say. I will be uploading one room at a time and giving you a 360 degree tour of it.

To make it more interesting than just a set of photographs, I am also between the photos going to do a meme that I first saw on Janet's site and stole off her, I think Sheila has done this too. I am not tagging any one to do it but it is quite an odd little meme. I have also got for another day an Alpha meme from Maryellen and a colour one I pinched from Blue the Spa Girl's site. Both will follow in due course.



So this is our main room, which you enter straight off the street. It is my favourite room in the cottage, excluding, of course, my artroom. We mostly use it in the evenings and don't turn the light on but use candles and incense. If one of us is reading we just use one ot the spot lamps trained down on the book. Can anyone spot our Green Man, my guardian?


Someone knocks your door at 2am, who do you want it to be?
Someone who has knocked at the wrong door, my husband and children, if they are out can let themselves in. In the normal way of things, nothing good can come of a knock at the door at that time.



Your boss tells you he/she will give you a $20 raise if you'll do your job naked. Do you stay and take the raise?
I am my own boss so I am hardly likely to be involved with this.

Put yourself in a nutshell?
It's a tight squeeze! Sorry [hee hee], fey, floaty jingley, mad, bad and dangerous to know [I will lead you astray from a tunnel visioned world]

Ever seen a ghost?
Yes, Apart from my ghost cats, I have told the tale about one of my ghosts on this site.




Happy with your body?

No, not really I love the wisdom of age but would love a young body again to wear really outrageous clothes and have some piercings and a tatoo.

A reason to move to Iceland?
Definitely, not for the cheap standard of living.

A place you've lived that you miss?

None really, each move has got me to nicer scenery, my ideal place would be at the sea, ideally in Cornwall.

A job you'd never do, no matter how much you were paid?
Mortician. When I was about eleven my best friend's father was one, the tales she used to tell to scare us, never been quite sure which were true and which weren't. Probably best not to know, when I remember some of them.



A band/group you thought was cool when you were 13?
Herman's Hermits [as if they could ever be cool]! Quickly followed by the Beatles and the Rolling Stones.

You have a nightmare, who's the first person you think to call?
My husband usually wakes me from them.

Wanna have kids before you're 30?
Had my son at 27 and my daughter when I was 32, so been there done that and worn out the tshirt.



A memory from high school?
The dreadful grey flannet gym skirts we wore, a sort of culotte idea. They were really rough and scratched your legs on cross country runs, until my friend and I realised if we stopped beside the war memorial in the park, as no teacher came with us, we could catch the runners on the way back and have a quick smoke. It ended in disaster as more and more naughty girls hung out at the war memorial and the good girls tittle-tattled on us! Also the fad, we were not allowed to wear stockings or tights, of wearing american tan tights under white socks, how on earth did we think they would not be spotted.

Ever had a crush on a friend's parent?
Good grief no, they were old fusspots.

Do you look like your Mom or Dad?
Depends who you talk to, I can see both in my face.



Something you've always wanted to learn to do?
Don't laugh, knit really well and really fast, able to makeup patterns and finish complicated items very quickly. Knitting apart from garter and stocking stitch totally defeats me.

How you'd like your life to be in 10 years?
With my husband, happy,healthy living in Cornwall by the sea with three cats, a dog for my husband to walk and some hens.


Something you learned this year?

The fun that blogging is when you make really good cyber friendships.

What do you want for your birthday?
I have just had my birthday and was more than satisfied with the beautiful presents I received.



Name 4 things you did yesterday?
Bought the rest of the Christmas baking ingredients, visited my mother,met someone I have not seen for 39 years, more about that another time and spent a leisurely evening reading.

Last item you bought for yourself?
A necklace that called my name.

What did you have for breakfast?
Apple juice, weetabix and coffee.

Name a celeb you have a crush on?
Wow Johnny Depp

Name the last 3 songs you heard?
Old Mountain Woman - Neil Young, Ain't Necessarily So -Jamie Cullen, I'm All right - Madeleine Peyroux.

How many hours of sleep do you get each night?
About six, on a Sunday eight.

What do you wish you were doing right now?
Having a meal and a drink in our favourite pub in Penzance, Cornwall, just the place to be on a rainy Friday evening.


Who's the first person in your phone book on your cell?
Local taxi firm as it begins with B.

Last time you witnessed a fight?
One night as I was being driven through the city about a year ago, two young men punching each other.

Name 3 places you'd like to travel to?
Really I would love to go on the Orient Express right through Europe. Oh forgot to mention I want to go back in time and do it. That would take me through more than three places.



Do you know how to ice skate?
Once I could just about stand up on ice.

Name something you like that's out of the ordinary?
It's not really out of the ordinary but most people don't like them, I like spiders.

What do you think of Brad Pitt?
Not my type.

What color are your toenails ?
The pink they arrived with.

Do you own anything with a skull on it?
Yes, a pirate's hat - don't ask.

Last movie you watched?
Lord of the Rings

Where were you when you had your first kiss?
In the playground under a tree.

Last board game you played?
Scattogories, a good few years ago. Not really into board games.

Leather or lace?
Lace and it would probably be vintage lace.

Ever had a black eye?
Never.

Have you ever worn fishnet stockings?
Yes when I was younger and there was a fad for them.


Don’t forget to join in Daisy Lupins’
Christmas Story or Memory Posting
Post a Christmas memory, story, even a ghost story
Or poem you would like to share,
More than one if you wish ,

Anytime between 17th and 24th December
Just let me know it is your contribution
I will transfer them to a temporary site
There they will remain for everyone to enjoy
Until the end of January.

Come on lets have a Giant Christmas Story Circle



24 comments:

Anonymous said...

That was great Daisy.
I hear you are solely responsible for the shortage of glitter and sequins in the North of England.LOL
Your coffe mug, and Earth challenge is great.
It's interesting to read your meme, and it's made more interesting by the pix of your cozy living room. I could imagine curling up in there by candle light with a glass of wine. If you hear someone knock the door at 2.00am...it might be me!

Tea said...

I`m one of those nosey parkers, Daisy! Thanks for showing your room! Loved the meme and love the screen and that beautiful vase filled with pretty flowers, and your animal pillows and ...well I could go on and on LOL
Looking forward to seeing more! Love your cottage.

tea
xo

Anonymous said...

admittedly, I have a bit of the voyeur in me and love to see peoples home interiors.It was great to see where you spend your time and all your lovely treasures.(that screen is to die)
I did this meme too but have saved it in Word for a few days now leaving out the questions for now about breakfast...funny, I answered the same thing on the job you wouldn't want part. AND we wore nylons under our socks too, I had to laugh, the color was cinnamon.(that's in my meme too!!)
I love the earth challenge you did and so sad your fave mug has cracks.
GLitter overflow eh? oh well, one can never have too much, you never know when you'll need it. heehee
XOXO

KaiBlue said...

Thats a lovely space you have..it oozes peaceful.. :)
I like the meme, it's always good to know wayyyy more then I should..lol.

Now seriously Daisy..You cant mean this?
~~~> Daisy you must have enough glitter, shiny paper, sequins, tinsel etc to decorate the world by now..

It's..it's so un glitterish!! One can never have enough Shineys!!!
Break out the Tinsel!!!
Peace thru lighting the world with glitter!! Kai. xx

Anonymous said...

Love your meme Dais~
Thanks for sharing.
I never get sick of those. :D
Johnny Depp, I wonder why we love him so much.
He has charisma, that's it.
xo

Anonymous said...

Speaking of cosy, I almost forgot. Your space is completely cosy and ready for me to park my behind on your sofa with a hot stein of tea.
xo
I'll be right over.

Anonymous said...

That was an interesting meme. I haven't seen it around the blogs yet. Thanks for sharing

Ms. Kathleen said...

Interesting challenge for the writing. Nice photos. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Hi Miss Daisy Loved the pictures of your home and your Mother Earth art is great. Oh how I hate it when a favorite cup gets broken/chipped. On the mugs in a row or square. Do you mean just a static square of them all in one place or what exactly.

Anonymous said...

I love peeking in the windows of houses as I drive by in the evenings....that way I can see in if they have the lights on!! Your tour of your room was so much nicer than having to catch a peek at warp speed! Your home looks warm and welcoming and cozy. Love the screen! And all the books. I could just curl up there and be happy for hours.

And the meme was good, too. I enjoyed all your answers.

Anonymous said...

'Daisy you must have enough glitter, shiny paper, sequins, tinsel etc to decorate the world by now. Cease increasing the stock immediately!' love miss*R xoxo
and if you have too much you can always send it to me - hee, hee xoxo

Tinker said...

Thank you for the looky-loo tour! It's just as cozy as I imagined it would be. It's looks so lovely and serene. I'd have a hard time making myself leave the room to get anything else done!

Interesting meme - and I can't believe, yet another odd synchronicity - one of my best friends when I was 11/12, was living with her grandparents, the caretakers of the local mortuary!

Tinker said...

Oops! Hit send a sec too soon - wanted to tell you I love your Mother Earth - and your 'mug shot,' too! (hope the cup lasts a long time for you)

Lila Rostenberg said...

It is so nice of your to give us a look at your world! I can see why it is your favorite room, and I like the idea of using candlelight when you are in that room!
Leave some glitter for the other "little girls" in your area!
Imagine how sad and frustrated they will be if they can't find any!
Once we have had our Thanksgiving,here, it is full steam ahead to the Christmas glitter here!

Anonymous said...

Great stuff neighbour!

Would be a good topic...favourite place!
Mine would have to be our snug!


Right, wish I had more time to visit other posters here cos they sound my lind of people....some I know, Sheila,
lisa,kai,blue, ninnie,janet, miss*r...will pop in the others later...

but time for bed here, it is Sunday tomorrow, and our motorbike adventure.
Mystery Ride tomorrow, so do check out my blog!

Great to see you all, Will get over to Cumbria soon chuck, do e-mail me & we will plot a route.

Dxx

Anonymous said...

Knock, Knock. Oh, hi there Daisy. I just stopped by for a second to say hello. My, your home is lovely, so cozy and warm feeling. Oh, and there is the green man, sitting on the table. Um, why is your carpet sparkling? It's hurting my eyes. Well, I have to run. Catch you later girl.

Annabelle said...

Seems we girls like the rugged pirate types ...full of mystery, intrigue and adventure on the high seas…so romantic…someone like Captain Sparrow? Love the Sugar pic and the cats pillow…warm and cozy.

Annabelle ~^..^~ xo

Carole Burant said...

No wonder I couldn't find any glitter and sequins...heard someone from England bought it all out! hehe I so enjoyed seeing the photos of your living room...love your decor!! It just looks so cozy and I love the idea of using candles instead of lights! Loved the answers to the meme also!! Hope your weekend is going good so far:-) xox

Pam Aries said...

A girl can never have too much glitter!!!! I am still trying to catch up on glittersister bloggong!2 or 3 days can make a difference! By all means feel free to use the tree or any other!

Naturegirl said...

Daisy thank you for the intimate look at your home and yourself!So much to see and read.I like that you have books stacked here and there...

"a house without books is like a body without a soul!" You have many books and~* LOTS of soul!~*

Pillows scattered everywhere!Perfect to put your head down and relax with your *~books~* while the candles burn.

Anastasia said...

A great meme - was wonderful to have a glimpse into your life/thoughts
Johnny depp...swoon...who can resist?
Im your swap partner for the Fairies Christmas swap - working on my card and ornament this week!

Julie H said...

Too much glitter? Too many sequins? What rubbish - it is simply ot possible, hehe.

What a joy it was to get to know you through this lovely detailed post.

Saur♥Kraut said...

OK, the necklace that called your name: Pictures, please! Hello, my name is Saur, and I'm a jewelry addict.

"Will someone please say to me 'Daisy you must have enough glitter, shiny paper, sequins, tinsel etc to decorate the world by now. Cease increasing the stock immediately!'"

Oh boy, does that sound familiar! I'm that way with candle and jewelry supplies, and collectible glassware. Somebody stop me!

Lisa said...

Really clever to combine the meme and the pics. I enjoyed it a bunch. Just love your home.