Wednesday, November 22, 2006


'Spick and Span', The very words send a shudder through me. I love a home with a lovely warm welcoming ambience but I am not houseproud. No, that is not a contradiction, it means that I decorate my home in a comfortable warming way, but I don't waste my days constantly cleaning, dusting, hovering. I don't even mind a couple of piles of things hanging around, things slightly out of place. Whisper it softly, at busy times I have even managed to live with a layer of light dust on the furniture. Life is too short to spend on housework, just think of all the more interesting things you could be doing. As long as things are of a clean standard I coast along igoring housework and they every so often have a giant blitz when I see grubbiness approaching and too many piles teetering. Housework must not eat into my crafting and art time, gardening time or reading time or just general me time.



I take a wild approach to necessary tasks, I change the bed on a Monday as soon as I get out of it, that way, it not much more of a chore than making the bed. I constantly wash clothes, then they may hang around dry in a basket for a few days, I hardly ever iron, most things if washed carefully and hung up lose their creases, so that just essentials to iron. Doing my housework this way, it almost becomes an enjoyable task to turn a room upside down every couple of weeks and thoroughly clean it. The dyson comes out just when the carpet needs it, not every day, anyways its bad for carpets to hoover them too often, ruins them, also I am lucky that we have some wooden floors.



My Mother would probably have thought in her younger days that I am a complete slut, but I' m not, I 've just got my priorities right. She, when I was a little girl used to have a 'friendly' competition every Monday with the next door neighbour to see who could get the whitest whites out on the washing line and who got them out first. I'm afraid I need more joy and fun than that. So that is how I will continue with my housework until I get my housework fairy, but when I put an advert for one on this site a few months back no fairies replied, just a few ladies masquerading as fairies looking for a chance to stay in England at my cottage.

That was my contribution to Daisy Lupin's Stream of Consciousness, I bet I am, as I predicted the last one to participate. Not sure how I came to choose the phrase Spick and Span, because it wasn't what I thought I was going to pick. Also quite surprised at what emerged as I was writing it. Goodness knows what you all think of me now! I wonder what the message in that for me is, could it be that underneath I feel guilty about not doing a lot of housework and part of me is justifying myself to myself? Who knows? But I don't feel any guilt, just that I have got my priorities sorted.




Here is a photograph of some of the Christmas Ornaments I am now engaged in making. Pretty stars and perky birds, all bright and jazzy colours, not exactly Christmas Colours, but definitely twinkly enough for Christmas. This, as I said last posting, is all part of my love affair with felt, my mind is in overdrive with other beautiful hanging felt items I want to make. I have been busy with them all day today inbetween baking the last Christmas Cake. I must get started on some Christmas Cards I want to make too, so when I finish this batch of felt ornaments, it will be onto cards and then back to felt ornaments for my own home.

I did need to visit the glitter store again yesterday, I have to confess, but I really know I have everything I want now, I did need more feathers for my birds and shiny bits. Then I had a lovely surprise this morning an envelope from Robyn and the Australian Secret Fairy. It was delivered by her magpies and I found it amongst a scattering of feathers, I believe they were having a little pecking argument about which of them was to actually post the envelope in the letterbox. Inside were some lovely glittery christmas stickers, and the cutest little tinkling bells like the sort you get on a cat's collar. I have been looking for something like that everywhere, wasn't it clever of the Secret Fairy to know?



My magic hat was working its wonders when I was in the town yesterday. I found two books I have been looking for, Ya-Yas in Bloom and a Sue Monk Kidd one,[the Bee one] at the remainder bookshop, and the most exquisite fairy book I have seen for a long time Betty Bib's Fairy Christmas, it is full of whimsical drawings and photographs, it was saying 'pick me Daisy, you will enjoy this', how could I resist? Some of the Charity Shop's new gift selections are excellent this year, lots of little bits and bobs for stocking fillers. I think a lot of them have been all around the world hunting down traders and suppliers. I don't like to overwork my magic hat, in case, its powers wane, so I do keep swapping hats, its just that the best things happen when I am wearing that hat.


Summer memories, that's what I call the photographs [apart from the birds and stars one] that are illustrating this posting. These are all photographs taken at the height of summer in my garden. The film has been lying about since then and I have just had it developed, you know how lacksadaisical I am about these things. The photographs are in order of being shown, the shady cool spot outside my back kitchen door: where I sit in that spot beside the barn door out of the heat of the midday sun:
the view of one of my beds my barrel with my magnolia tree and nasturiums in: looking back up the alleyway: getting ready for tea in the garden: the pots in the alleyway with my favourite buddah's head which is now growing moss [making it look venerable and ancient]: the pots underneath my back kitchen window: and my very favourite clematis.



I just thought it would bring a bit of warmth to our cold, wet and gloomy days here. There are some more photographs of my garden on the film, but I will save them for another gloomy, wet day.



I would like to say everyone, lets keep thinking of Robyn, who at the moment is living with the worry of a bush fire very near to her home, I know the stress and despair of waiting to see if a natural catastrophe is going to strike your home. Almost three years ago, we waited hour by hour in the worst floods in living memory watching flood water creep nearer and nearer to our front door, and we were exceptionally lucky that it peaked just below our front door step. Just let's send her thoughts focusing on the bush fire to be put out. Her own son is one of the voluntary bush fire fighters.



One happy note to end on, Mercury comes out of retrograde on the 24th November, so our computers should be working better, our travelling should be smoother and hopefully some of our heavy feelings should lighten.



Also the moon has passed out of its dark moon days and is waxing again, so those creative juices should be flowing extra well.


Don’t forget to join in Daisy Lupins’
Christmas Story or Memory Posting

Post a Christmas memory, story, even a ghost story
Or poem you would like to share,
More than one if you wish ,

Anytime between 17th and 24th December
Just let me know it is your contribution
I will transfer them to a temporary site
There they will remain for everyone to enjoy
Until the end of January.

Come on lets have a Giant Christmas Story Circle



25 comments:

Anonymous said...

o how I related to your entire stream re: spick and span - the fairies used to come here years ago but not anymore, not sure why!! THEN I see your birds and started to chuckle as I just finished some with feathered backsides as well and NOT in Christmas colors! I've always loved working with felt, it's forgiving, no raveling and you can layer and layer it. I started with felt making clothes for my "wishniks"(some know them as trolls). I love what you're making Daisy!
and yes,it's lovely to see your garden in summer, it really is inviting.
and lastly, I keep hoping for rain in NSW - I was glad to know she said it wasn't threatening their village anymore!
phew, long comment!
XOXO

Anonymous said...

oh my lord ! those birds are exact same shape as mine * different fabric but same embellishment. can you believe that?
I am off to read the rest of the post - but can you send those magpies back? I am in need of them - ohh unless of course I send the English blackbird back from whence it came!

Anonymous said...

I love your ornaments Daisy.
I don't have that kind of talent!
Stream of consciousness went well, and I liked your spick and span..."stream" very much!

Carole Burant said...

I use to spend most of my time cleaning and making sure there was not one speck of dust in my house...gone are those days! I've learned to relax more about it and am happier for it:-) Oh Daisy, those birds are just so beautiful...such talent you have dear friend!!! Love all the pictures you posted...I miss all the bright colours of the garden flowers at this time of year!! My prayers are certainly with Robyn!! xox

Tinker said...

The birdies are delightful, Miss Daisy! I have to say I found a lot of your post on 'spick and span' resonated with me...I'm just barely domesticated, and unfortunately, I don't think the fairies are in this line of business anymore. I think they've all taken up modeling for greeting cards and such. sigh.

BTW, thanks for the lovely e-mail on my post - I don't know why the comments weren't working that day - but it was sweet of you to think to e-mail me about it anyway. XO

Rowan said...

As usual I'm out of the loop on the spick and span thing:) I've always enjoyed looking after my home and, with a definite routine worked out when I first married, my house is cleaned right through every week in just four mornings. So I still have plenty of time for all my other stuff. I'm a Virgo so I'm naturally inclined to neatness and tidiness and don't feel relaxed unless my surroundings look that way. Takes all sorts though:)

Anonymous said...

Hi Daisy, you probably will think me a sad case, but I'm one that has to have everything cleaned and tidied away before starting any new project. Only then can I get into something. I envy thoose who can do what they want when they want, but it's not me.I can't enjoy doing the fun stuff until my chores are completed.

Anonymous said...

I'm kind of like a couple of other posters here, in that I can't really get "into" anything heavy until my bed is made, my dishes are done. But...it doesn't take long and then I'm off to the art scene! Daisygirl, your ornaments are wonderful!

Anonymous said...

I'm with you...I like certain things clean ( kitchen and bath)...but not too bugged by light dust unless bunnies appear. Teetering piles ok as long as I know where things are in the stack.
Your ornaments are very pretty love the colors.

Lila Rostenberg said...

As usual, I truly enjoyed reading everything on your post!
We had a warm sunny thaksgiving day here...my garden is trying to hold on to it's flowers. I enjoyed seeing your garden photos from this past summer!
Your stream of consciousness re: spic and span was so true and humorous!
I just read on Robyn's that they have rain!!!!!

Annabelle said...

Lovely birds Daisy.I love felt things quite alot! Your spick and span story related to me very much but I'm afraid that this week has been crazy and one of the things I've been doing is cleaning.Hoping to get back to crafting and writing next week.

Annabelle ~^..^~ xo

Clare and Mike said...

I only do housework when necessary and would rather decorate a room than clean it! Dust is okay! I have dust (lots of it!!!) Clare x

Tea said...

I relate 100%! My Mum was constantly cleaning when I was a kid. I have so many more things I like to do. I try and am half successful but that`s good enough for me :) Love your decorations and the beautiful outside pictures. I can never get enough of seeing your garden and cottage. Hope you show more! Pretty please? LOL

tea
xo

Sigruns German Garden said...

Your Christmas ornaments are looking very good! In my german garden-forum they make things like this, I'm very untalented for this.

Sigrun

Lisa said...

Those ornaments are amazing! I absolutely love them, Daisy. I've never seen any just like them. You are so talented.

I'm so glad that you chose Spick and Span for your stream of consciousness. I have a group of blogs that I term "cozy blogs" which I love, particularly at the holidays but they always leave me feeling like I come up short on the house cleaning. So this even me out a bit, although judging from your pictures I must wonder. :) Your home is so lovely and inviting. That garden is a dream.

I was so relieved to hear that it was raining in Robyn's area.

Anonymous said...

I can so relate to your spic and span theory. My mom was one of those phenomenal homemakers who always had a clean house. I'm sure she's looking down and thinking "where did I go wrong" when she sees my house! I loved all the summer flower photos. The ornaments are gorgeous! And as usual, I didn't make it in time to join the stream of conscienceness even though I had good intentions!

Anonymous said...

My house is never gonna be clean! Love your birdies! The garden is so pretty!!!!

Anonymous said...

I agree whole heartedly about housework!

Love the photos!!

Anonymous said...

Totally related to Spic and Span. I don't feel nearly as bad about my housekeeping (yes, my priorities lay in other places) and in fact picked up a couple of tips for doing as I go.

Your summer garden was a bright pick me up and yes, Robyn is in my thoughts.

Love the little birdies. One of these days . . .

Gretel said...

Gorgeous ornaments, are you going to be selling them on Etsy or anywhere?

MariaJ said...

Dear Daisy! I got your parcel yesterday and found that glittering felt star and your decorative Christmas card. Love every stich, glitter and pearl! I know you have spend A LOT of your time with these and I appreciate it a lot. These will be my important memories of you for the rest of my life. Thank you dear! (I'll show your wonderful creations before Christmas on my blog)

couragetocreatewriteandlove said...

Your garden was so beautiful, your whole house is so inviting to stay, I don't blame those ladies pretending to be fairies in order to stay in your cottage. LOL. stay warm and healthy. My prayers are with Miss Robin and I am going to check on her right now. Thank you for this posting.

KaiBlue said...

Lol, I adore your version of house work, home cleaning. I have lots of closets to shove stuff in for quick cleanups!! Just dont open the doors..
Christmas will be special this year because of all the glitter, what do you think?
Peace, Kai. xx

Anonymous said...

Daisy, thanks for the comments on my post..I hope you do like those ELVES..as I was out today and found another that I bought and would like to send to you, if you would like to send me your address...?

Naturegirl said...

This has been a delight to stop by your cottage and read your "Spick and Span"..You know I don't even make my bed up the odd day!
Yup just jump right back in on that lazy PJ day! Your garden photos were wonderful to view since we don't have color in our gardens under these November grey skies.That table set for tea is very inviting!