Tuesday, November 07, 2006


I have gone into Christmas mode today. I think the weather encouraged it, it has been a really grey day,just low heavy cloud, in fact at one point it would not have surprised me if it had snowed, but it didn't, although the day never really seemed to get light and I had a lamp on nearly all day to work with.
I may have left Christmas mode behind tomorrow for a while, but Christmas bells were definitely ringing out in my head today as I spent the afternoon in my artroom and finished making five collage postcards for a Christmas swap I am in. I have scanned one, and posted it to the right, I'm afraid the scan doesn't really do the glitter justice and it looks slightly out of focus due to the embellishments that are hanging off it. They are all in that style but with different motifs etc. I was lucky because I have always had a box of scraps that my mother played with as a child and some date back to Edwardian and Victorian times, so this was an ideal opportunity to use some of the Christmas ones.

While I was creating I was musing about things we did at school for Christmas, mainly things we did at Junior School between the ages of seven and eleven. I thought it would be nice to share these childhood memories of Christmas preparations and Christmas events with you. These are some of the things I particularly remember about those childhood years.




First there always seemed to be a class competition for the best schoe box scene. This involved turning a shoe box on its side, without its lid and making a scene inside it with paper figures etc coloured and stuck onto cardboard. We were encouraged to make it a nativity scene. I can remember sticking crepe paper all over the outside of the shoe box and then rolling up cotton wool balls and sticking them on the top and sides as snow. I think one year I even had a couple of snow cotton wool balls actually hanging inside the scene. I used to draw a window shape at the back of the shoes box and cut out a scene from the middle east with minarets in it, which must have looked really incongruous with the snowy outside of the box. I would stick real straw on the floor and also have 'the star in the East' dangling into the box. One year I thought I had hit paydirt when I put a whole family of plastic robins on the roof and a little Father Christmas.

The other item I remember was the table decoration. This consisted of a rectangle of plywood about four inch by 8 inch. We used to cover it with some goopy white stuff, which I have no idea what it was, I just know it wasn't plaster of paris, then we would stick a tall red candle in the middle and decorate the 'snow' covered plywood with pinecones painted white or gold, we would add bits of plastic greenery, sometimes cake decorations, such as a snowman and sprinkle the whole things with copious amounts of glitter and leave it all to set. See glitter entered my life at a very early age. I loved making these, we could only make one at school, but I remember making loads of them at home and dishing them out to everyone as Christmas presents, I thought they were so cool!




Remembering, the Christmas items we made at school led me onto the annual Christmas school play. In those days I was a true thespian, you could have called me a 'lovie'. The play was the apex of my year. I lived for those weeks of rehearsals and the actual night. I always knew all my lines and everyone elses too. I know that makes me sound like an obnoxious child, but I wasn't I just loved the drama of it all. One year I was to be the Fairy Godmother in Cinderella, I was thrilled especially as I was told I would be doing a dance as well. My imagination built it up into having a glorious net dress to wear and real pink satin ballet shoes, completely forgetting that the costumes can out of the dressing up boxes at school. I was allowed to make up my own dance and I was absolutely convinced that on the night of the play there would be a famous person in the audience who would be overcome with my talent and whisk me away for a life on the stage. I was ten years old.



Disaster struck, I caught flu two weeks before the show and when I returned to school a week later the part had been given to, how shall I put this, a girl who was by no means a friend of mine. I was devastated. The teacher explained that I had missed too many rehearsals, I tried to say but I knew my lines so I would be ok. No,she had decdied. She tried to cheer my up by saying, you've still got the reading to do for the church service, you read well and have a lovely voice. Did that pacify me, no no no. I didn't want to give a stupid reading about the three wise men in a church I wanted to tread the boards. Then my Fairy Godmother struck, no I didn't get the part back but the girl who was playing Dandini, Prince Charming's friend was struck with the same flu bug that I had had. Seeing I knew everyone's lines I was given the part and played it with a flourish.

I sometimes joke to my family that the parts you get in school plays as a child somehow come to colour your adult life. My first big part in a school play, which I took very seriously, was the White Rabbit in Alice in Wonderland, and even today I can often be heard to mutter when in a hurry 'I shall be late, I shall be late'. My husband refers to them as my White Rabbit moments. My treading the boards came to an abrupt halt at thirteen, yes puberty struck, and for a time instead of being a confident declaimer on stage, I became quite introverted for a while and could think of nothing worse than exposing myself for public criticism.

There I have told you some childhood memories that all sprung from an afternoon sitting in my artroom creating. Nearer Christmas I will tell you some of my childhood Christmas day memories, perhaps, some of you will post some too.




Have some fun
Coming one day next week

Daisy Lupin’s stream of consciousness game
Pick one of the words or phrases
Let it take you where it will, Go with it,
See where you end up, then post it on your site.
Come on, join in, let’s ramble




32 comments:

Rosa said...

I can only imagine how devastating that was at that age! Bah humbug on the flu!! So glad you lived through it! xo

Anonymous said...

Happy days..! I loved school at Christmas time because of all the extra activities we would do. I was not as brave as you and would shrink to the back of the class when school plays were mentioned, but I do recall doing a reading once.As for Alice in Wonderland, my dad's claim to fame was playing the dormouse, he had to fall asleep in a teapot, I wonder how they managed that 'special' effect, as it was seventy five years ago.

Anonymous said...

Yes lets do a memory swap! Great idea especially at Christmas.
I didn't go for plays at school. My daughter seems as though she will be very into it...so creative and dramatic she is!
I was sorry to hear your flu story...too bad. :(

Janet said...

I loved all your Christmas memories. And at least you got to play Prince Charming's friend so all was not lost. I was too shy to be in any school plays.

tlchang said...

Lovely memories.

I really enjoyed performing in grade school as well. I didn't quite give it up in puberty but ended up in debate rather than drama by the time I hit high school. My husband complains about *my* 'debate moments' when he thinks I am enjoying disagreeing far too much. :-)

Tinker said...

What fun Christmas memories - I always loved making crafts and dioramas. I didn't do stage-y things much when I was very young - but loved them when I got into high school.

Though I never played that role, I often quote the White Rabbit myself!

Love your Christmas postcard - the little ribbon and bells are such a sweet touch!

Anonymous said...

oh I have many Christmas memories - I posted quite a few on my old blog - Daily Parcels. I will look them up and post them sometime.
I am trying not to think Christmas, although I am creating some special bits for friends.
Love your cards, ms* Daisy. xoxo

J C said...

I cannot seem to get into "Christmas" mode. So I will just enjoy yours for now. Really like your card. Are those other pics you post your own art? I especially love the girl on the hill with the flowers, talking to the bird.

Lisa Oceandreamer Swifka said...

although I am not quite ready to think about Christmas I so enjoyed your memories and as time gets closer I will share mine as well. That would be fun, to read everyones.
It's funny Daisy, I desperately wanted to be an actress at one time too!
Love your Christmas art!
XOXO

couragetocreatewriteandlove said...

Christmas is my favorite holiday so I am always very excited and happy for the time to come. I remember too being on some plays at school but I never was on a major role, I didn't have a dialogue but I still got just as happy as everyone else. And now when my daughter is on them I get reminded of my wonderful times as a child.

Carole Burant said...

Reading about your school memories during Christmas, made me remember a few things too! The teacher would melt wax and fill up our empty cartons of milk that had the top cut off, and put a wick in it. She would then whip some wax until it looked just like frosting...we would then slop it on the outside of the carton until it was all covered and we'd decorate it with sprinkles and tiny little decorations. Once it hardened, what a masterpiece we had created!! hehe What a shame you didn't get the part of the play you wanted because of the flu...I never wanted to be picked because I was soooo extrememly pathetically shy!!! lol

KaiBlue said...

OH Merry, merry, merry..
I love this post for some reason, I feel fabulously festive now..lol..
PEace, Kai

Anonymous said...

Lovely post. And Happy Birthday. Sending you hugs and Birthday Wishes.

Lila Rostenberg said...

You are so fortunate to have the nostalgic antique cards your family saved!

Their influence can be seen in your work....especially when you recycle them!

We had more Christmas programs at church than at school....I was always relieved when it was over and we could go home to see if Santa had come!

One year recently I made angel- related ornaments by using clear glass ornaments. You can open these ornaments at their metal end, so I put in a small fluffy white feather and iridescent white glitter. They looked so mysterious and glamorous and are evokative of a recent visit by a winged angel!

I'm looking forward to seeing and reading about everyone's Christmas memories!

Rosa said...

Happy, happy birthday dear Daisy! I hope you have a lovely day!! xoxo

LindaD said...

With the first few words you evoked Christmas feelings! Thank you - normally that doesn't hit me till AFTER Christmas. I love your memories - I laughed when I read about those roles influencing your later life - I was always Cinderella, Snow White, Goldilocks - until 5th grade when the teacher decided someone else ought to have the lead and it was time for me to have a non-speaking part. Devastation! I also became very introverted about that time, so timing was good. Your art is beautiful.

Naturegirl said...

I can feel your emotion as I read about ~*the other girl getting your part!~* YES! *fairy godmother* to the rescue!What lovely memories you shared with us today.I would agree that the
*~*sparkle*~* is still with you!

Boxwood Cottage said...

Oh I've seen it, the x-mas collage card is B E A U T I F U L Daisy! I'm so happy to have you in my swap :D

Oh and initially I came by to wish you a verrrry HAPPY BIRTHDAY today dear Miss Daisy Lupin! Hope you have a splendid day full of glitter and shine!

B-day Hug

Carol xox

P.S.: I've voted ;-)

dot said...

I came via Pea's Corner to wish you a very HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!

Anonymous said...

Awesome post and happy birthday to you! pea sent me! huggers!!!!

Anonymous said...

I've been quoting the White Rabbit alot lately...and even though I probably will be late...it'll be fun along the way.
Happy Birthday Ms. Daisy
:-) sending a link to your eMAil.

Tea said...

Enjoyed your story Daisy, and what a lovely post card!

tea
xo

Tea said...

And I want to also wish you a Happy Birthday!

tea
xo

Anonymous said...

I heard you had a birthday via Pea, so I wanted to drop in and say best wishes. I love your blog and I will be back again for a closer look

couragetocreatewriteandlove said...

Happy Birthday!!!!!!!!! I will email you a fairy I found on the web you will love it and probably you can use it in your art. Have a great day around your family.

TJ said...

Hello Daisy,
I am here from Sweet Pea's blog, she mentioned it is your birthday and I wanted to say "Happy Birthday to You!!"
She also said you were one of her favorite places to visit and I can see why!!
You brought back fond memories!!
We used to decorate shoe boxes for Valentines...
:-D

Lila Rostenberg said...

Happy, happy birthday!!!!!!

Please tell us about your b'day in a day or too!

Linda said...

Pea told me it was your birthday. Happy Birthday Daisy (mine is tomorrow). I am so excited to be talking to someone in England. It is my dream to visit some day. In the meantime I just read as many English authors as I can get my hands on (preferably the older ones).
Have a wonderful birthday!!

Pam Aries said...

HaPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!! hope your whole day is loded with all kinds of glitteriness!!!!!

patsy said...

pea said it is your birthday. happy birthday from arkansas U S A. i like to read blogs from england so i will return.

Smalltown RN said...

It's funny you should be thinking of Christmas...I have been thinking the same thing...but the weather today was so lovely, sunny with a crispness in the air...I got out in the yard and raked leaves instead, and worked in the garden.

Ah childhood memories.....

I really enjoyed reading your blog...I found you via Pea's blog.

Ms. Kathleen said...

What great memories and I don't blame you for being in the Christmas mode. I got my snowmen out, ready to display and it did snow here today and is dark and foggy.

Have a great weekend!