Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Simple things hold the secret - Carl Jung

I am living in a heatwave, the temperature has steadily risen since last week, today, Tuesday, its 90 degrees and heading upwards, and in this area we don't usually get much over the low 80's. There is no breeze at all, just hot air enveloping you like an eiderdown. Household chores have ground to a halt, craft projects are at a standstill and at times it is too much trouble even to read for long. I am typing this in the slightly cooler evening with all windows around thrown open as wide as possible. Please excuse any typos or odd ramblings as I think my brain may be melting. I am not really complaining about the weather, it wonderful to have these really sunny hot days, but I fear it will end in a giant storm at some point, I can't see it just cooling down naturally.

The photograph, above, is of the Abbey Gate, part of the grounds of the cathedral in my nearest town. I thought I would publish it as part my doors, gates and windows collection. This gate was built in the 1500's, and you are looking out of the cathedral grounds towards the street.


I must just show you this photograph opposite, of the clematis that is flowering in my friend's garden. It is so beautiful, that deep pink, and the flowers are quite large. I have a lovely lavender clematis, which is just beginning to bloom now, I only planted it last year and it has done really well. My other clematis is a cutting I took from a neighbour's last year, it covered their arbour in lovely pale pink flowers in summer. My first buds are on it and one has opened out, but on my cutting the flowers have changed colour and are all going to be dark purple, how strange.

I noticed today that my calendulas have buds on them and if this sunshine continues they should be opening late tomorrow, I have been giving them copious amounts of water, in fact, a lot of my early morning and late evening time has been spent drowning the plants with water from my watering can. All my phlox are in full bloom now, the last one to flower was my favourite the two tone purple one. I love the honeyed fragrance of phlox. I have just sent two rolls of film off for developing so should have some more updated photographs of my garden to show you. That is if I have taken them properly, as I explained in previous post, I have been learning to use my husband's fancy camera.

My computer does not seem to like this heat and is misbehaving, and now I am trying to upload some photographs, only to find there is a scheduled outage on for one hour, so think I shall go round the blogs and come back in an hour. Speaking of blogs, one I visit, Living as Rosa, is being very temperamental to me, I have been trying since last week to reply to comment, but Rosa's blog keeps showing up as just her patternend background, and then my computer goes off line. Is this just me it is happening to or what I wonder? If you read this Rosa, thats why I have been strangely silent.



Just thought I would publish this fairy picture, as I haven't had one on my blog for a while, and I like to keep them happy. I think I have been thinking about them as I have been out in the garden so much this past week. It will be time to harvest my lavender bush soon, I love doing that, sitting at the garden table making bunches to dry or just preparing the flowers to dry. There is nothing like being surrounded by the fragrance of lavender, smelling the straw of my hat in the hot sun and hearing the buzz of the bees. All these sounds and smells, seem to get incorperated into the lavender bunches I am drying and in the middle of winter, when I sniff the lavender I can be transported briefly back to a summer afternoon.

Must just mention what I am reading at the moment. I am reading 'Precious Bane' by Mary Webb, it was published in the 1920's but is set in the early 1800's in the Shropshire country side. The descriptions of the countryside told in the girl's rolling Shropshire accent are wonderful, you can hear and smell what she is describing. They are poor farmers, and the lore and customs that are part of the story are amazing. Any lover of Thomas Hardy's Tess of the d'Urbervilles will love this book.

12 comments:

Grish said...

I love the picture of the gate! I love the old buildings I see in pictures over seas. :)

VintagePretty said...

The weather really is getting a bit much. We're lucky here today, the weather has been tamed by a sea-fret, tiny droplets of water carried in waves of mist, it's really nice. We've yet to have one single thunderstorm - what is happening to our weather?!

Love the clematis, my favourite is a white one, smallish flowers called 'Early Sensation'.

Beth said...

I sure can commiserate with you Daisy,,we are suffering here too. High today is going to be up to 100 with heat index at 110. We have high humidity and it is just awful. A man died here yesterday by just walking down the street. He had other health problems too.
I Love the clematis. I have a dark purple one,,not sure of the name. It had so many wonderful blooms this spring. My moonflowers are now blooming and my white dinner plate hibiscus will be blooming by today or tomorrow. I enjoyed my trip,,but glad to be home,,check out my pics.

Sigruns German Garden said...

Thank you for the photo from the Abbey gate! Great!

Sigrun

Kali said...

Hi Daisy ~ thanks for the book recommendation, as I loved Thomas Hardy's Tess of the d'Urbervilles.

I am absolutely fascinated by Abbey Gate, as I have a such admiration and fascination in history and old buildings.

I enjoyed your post...I hope the temps have cooled down a tad for you.

Carole Burant said...

Hi Daisy:-) Love the picture of the gate...so much history behind it isn't there! Your friend's clematis is gorgeoussssss....never seen one with pink flowers like that! Mine is really in bloom now with big purple flowers...will post a pic of it next week. As for Rosa's blog, it's been over a week now that every time I go on it, it completely knocks me off the internet! Others have mentioned it to me too so it's not just you...have no idea what could be causing it!! Have a great weekend:-) xoxox

Janet said...

Lovely photo of the old gate. And the clematis is gorgeous.

I can sympathize with you about the heat as we are having 100ยบ plus temps where I live. I have no energy to do anything!

Miss Robyn said...

Hi Daisy - we are having colder than normal weather here - I am not complaining, I really hate the heat but it is chilling me to the bone. I feel for you with those temps. we sometimes get over 110 in summer ! yick.
Your garden sounds delightful, it really does. I love to harvest lavender too and hang it in my home.
Must have a look for that book, it sounds just like my cup of tea!
stay cool - blessings & bliss xo

Pear tree cottage! said...

Daisy, I do so very much hope you get some relief from the heat soon it is horrible when there is not even a drop of air.

As my grandmother would say close the house up and keep the door shut all day long (very hard to do!) and then at night let it all in! open the house from front to back so any air would flow through! lol lol lol

she lived in a very hot area of South Australia and I guess she knew what to do.

I love very much your cards but from one scorpio to another were did you get your lovely crafting skills I can tell you I have very few! (I do know how to dress a shop window but this is all) :o)

I will see you again soon best wishes to you.

Naturegirl said...

Ah yes our lavender daze so theraputic! We should be sitting together bunching our lavender together! Next weekend I am going to a lavender farm in the country for a annual day on the grounds having lunch consisting of lavender treats and seminars and lavender gifts to purchase oh what a memorable day it shall be! Wish you could come w/ me.
I will read that book..love the fairy..their dust is sprinkled in my "secret garden" shhhh! :)

Boxwood Cottage said...

Hi Daisy,

we're living in this heatwave too, it's uncredible hot! 36 degrees celisius in not normal for our area as well. So I know what you mean about the standstill in every way! The only thing I never forget to do is watering my garden. This Clematis of your friend is a stunner! So gorgeous!

Tea said...

Hi :) I`ve been enjoying reading your blog for awhile now and love seeing pictures of where you live and your stories and everything really. I`ve been once to the Lakes District 8 years ago and it is breath taking! You live in a beautiful part of the world truly.It`s seems a lot of the world is having a heat wave.
xox