Saturday, July 08, 2006


I think I will follow on and post some more photographs of my area and tell you about them. I thought about posting today about the other magical place I promised, but I think I will tease you a bit longer and show it and tell its tale next week. Too many magical places all at once is like living on chocolate and chocolate cake for a few days, something you think might be wonderful to do but too rich a diet in reality. For now these local photographs will have to suffice. This is all making me feel like a mischevious fairy.

If you remember a few posts back, last month, I showed you the calendar house with its many chimnies and windows, well on the other side of the river. almost across from that house is this large house or hall. This like the calendar house is no longer one family's home but has been split up into units, apartments and holiday cottages. The family that owned the hall were involved in the 1745 Jacobite Rebellion, and when Bonnie Prince Charlie marched into England from Scotland, they had him to stay in the Hall whilst his troops camped just past the edge of our village.



This photograph is of a church which is on the same side of the river as the previous photograph, although this is at the top of a hill. Parts of this church, are very old and date back to the 12th century. It is the apse which is very old, that is the rounded wall at the furtherest right hand side of the photo. It must be the oldest structure near our village.



This is actually the lodge and the entrance to the calendar house. The lodge occupants keep a large number of fine hens which roam around their garden and sometimes escape onto the road, also they own geese and ducks, and they sell the eggs. You just knock on the door if you want to buy some.

Since I began my Local History Group I am constantly amazed at what my research is turning up about my village and its surrounding area. I am pleased to say, fingers crossed, that my group seems to be taking off now, I was thrilled to see that after two unofficial taster meetings and one official meeting my membership has swelled to nine, after having only one person at my first meeting and feeling that no one could be interested. It is so exciting discovering things that have happened in the village, and the reasons why certain buildings are where they are, and what they were originally used for.



I just had to show you this photograph, it is not my village but one of the vilages next to me. This is the entrance to the village church and churchyard. Isn't that gateway, so romantic and oldeworldy? That kind of gate is called a lynch gate, and I can just imagine characters out of books such as 'Pride and Prejudice' leaving the church after a service on a sunday and either strolling to their houses in the village or awaiting their carriages. I sometimes think I could have been quiet happy if I had been born in that era. Gorgeous clothes to wear, delightful dances to go to at the assembly rooms in the nearest town, and my town actually did have an assembly room. I could spend my days, visiting friends, leaving my card first, naturally, or I could play the piano or trill a few songs, sit with my needlework or reading matter, or even try out my art by painting a pretty picture. With a modest income and maybe a servant, [ because remember the downside is no washing machines or running hot water] as I do not care to rush around with ewers of water to fill a bath in my chamber every time I required one. I would call my husband Mr. Lupin and he would call me Mrs. Lupin. I must stop now I could muse on this daydream for ages. Well my dears, I think I need to take a stroll round my garden, would you care to accompany me? Don't forget your parasol.

9 comments:

Carole Burant said...

Oh Daisy, you ARE a tease!!! lol I so want to see England and it's beautiful countryside, even more so now after all the pictures you've been putting up! I love to hear the history behind it all and I would have certainly joined your group!! It's great that it's taking off so well:-) I love castles...any pictures and stories on some of those near you???

Alice said...

Thank you Daisy for the lovely photos and interesting titbits of information on your village history. I'm glad that more people are deciding to join your group.

The beautiful old gate to the churchyard could gain an infamous history if you call it a Lynch Gate, especially as lynching is a crime. However, a Lych Gate is just perfect. Since being in England we've often said we would like to have a small lych gate entry to our garden. Hasn't happened yet, though.

Annie Jeffries said...

Hi dear Daisy. I'm strolling along with you happily play Lizzie to your Jane. My chinese parasol is along for the stroll shading my half Italian complexion from the sun. Don't really need the parasol but it makes a nice ambiance.

Rosa said...

Every one is as romantic as the next. I'm drooling.

Sigruns German Garden said...

Hi, thank you very much for your photos, I am very interessted. Do you know the song from Bonnie prinz Charlie? I can sing it!

Sigrun

Gena said...

oh your blog makes me long for the Lakes! where is the calender house? it looks a little familiar to me.I have just read the previous posts and am so sorry to hear about Pixie,our little dog,oddly enough called Daisy had to be put to sleep a couple of weeks ago,so I know how you are feeling,but the other day I swear I felt her brush against my leg! I believe their spirits linger with us,Pixie must have had a lovely life with you.Blessings xx

Gina E. said...

This is all so fascinating; indeed, utterly charming. Some of my friends who are Aussie-born, refer to themselves as Anglophiles, because they adore England and everything to do with it. H. has been there several times and says she aches to go back, in fact would live there if she could. S. has visited once, and as her daughter is living there at the moment, she hopes to save up and go back again one day.
I am not so passionate about the U.K., so I have never been there, but I can see why it holds such a great attraction, especially to Australians, some of who still call England the Mother Country. My passion used to be the U.S.A. and after three trips there, I would still like to go back and see what I missed the first times!

Beth said...

You are such a wonderful tour guide Daisy! Love to see your wonderful village. I would have liked living back in those days,,except for the lack of running water,,lol.
Have a wonderful day Daisy!!!

Boxwood Cottage said...

It's so beautiful where you live, I just love seeing your photos! And your green man is very handsome too ;-)