Wednesday, July 26, 2006


The photograph is explained further down the posting.


The temperature cooled down for a day and then started upwards again, yesterday the heat was tremendous, it didn't even cool at all in the evening, too hot to sleep, I went and sat in the garden at 3.00a.m., there was no breeze just this hot still air and I noticed this morning that no dew seemed to have fallen last night. The garden is taking copious amounts of water, I have had to give up my troughs of nasturtiums on the back wall as a lost cause, they have all been burnt by the sun. Normally, my nasturtiums can cope with our summer heat, but if this is just not a freak summer, and future ones are going to be as hot, all of them will have to be planted in partial sunny spots. The ones in those places this year are thriving, one of my dahlia bushes doesn't like the heat either.

I have had two lovely days though, acquiring lots of vintage items. Yesterday, I travelled to my nearest town. Wow! I thought the heat was high at home, but it seemed to me twice as bad in the town. The schools are off for their long summer holidays and the town was really busy, with children, tourists and everyday shoppers all battling along in the hot sun. I decided to do a quick tour of some charity shops and have a quick root around in them. I found some lovely things. I bought two beautiful wine glasses with lovely blue patterned stems, sort of mock art nouveau, the cutest pottery honey pot shaped as a hive with bees embossed on it, a lovely set of four embroidered linen table napkins from the early 1950's still wrapped in cellophane and in their original display box, three beautiful glass single bloom vases and a lovely pressed glass fruit bowl which I can just see full of trifle in the middle of a table.

I then went on from the town to visit my Mother, I was showing her my purchases and we got on talking about hats, which is another thing I love to collect. She happened to mention she still had her wedding hat, I remember as a child her showing it to me, I thought it had been thrown out, but when she moved house she had boxed it up with other mementoes and put it in the outdoor storeroom, well I was right into that room and I searched until I found it, and I brought it home with me. It is a beautiful navy blue straw, with grosgrain ribbon, all that is missing is the floral bunch that was attached to the ribbon. It needs a bit of renovating but it will look lovely hanging on my bedroom wall with my other hats.

We are losing our next door neighbours, they were living there when we moved to the cottage. They have been really good neighbours and we will miss them all, but on the up side, part of the family is moving further up in the village, so they are not really lost, its just that with the complicated way Rights of Way are organised round our properties [an outhouse of theirs is in our garden and our garden gate goes through their garden etc], it was nice that there was no trouble with this and we always accommodated each other. I now am waiting to see who our neighbours are, they move in at the end of next week. However, the lovely thing is that my neighbour was having a big clearout and brought some boxes round for me to rummage in, to take what I want, and then just dispose of the rest. They are things of her mother's and grandmother's glasses, ornaments etc. I will look through the boxes tomorrow. She also gave me some lovely cotton throws, and two cute hats, one brown cord beatles cap, and a lovely pastel pink angora cloche style hat. Wasn't it kind of her to think of letting me have the boxes? My Mother was telling me, yesterday, that I have always rummaged amongst old things. Apparently, from the age of eight, I used to beg my Grandmother to let me go and root through her attic, and I would come down wearing old hats, clutching old books and toys of my mother and her sister's. So I obviously caught the vintage bug at an early age.



Here are two more of my old family photographs, these two are from my Mother's side of the family. The photograph at the beginning of the posting is the wedding of my Grandparents and this group wedding photograph just above is of my Great Great Aunt Kate's wedding. It's amazing to enlarge it and look at the people in detail. [If I have done this correctly you should be able to click on it and enlarge it.] Kate is the lady with the biggest bouquet. There is a woman at the right hand side near the back that has the most enormous stuffed bird on her hat and there is the man in the top hat and monocle. This is the photo I have framed on my dining room wall, I could look at it for ages. Unfortunately, I don't know who some of the people are and there is no one still alive who might be able to tell me. I just love old photographs and will post some more another time.

11 comments:

Miss Robyn said...

I tell you, we could be twins! I absolutely adore rummaging and have done ever since I can remember. That box of goodies sounds wonderful and lucky you to have your mum's wedding hat. I have my aunties veil & it hangs of a peg hook in my bedroom. Hope you get good neighbours, nothing worse than bad ones. I sure hope this is a freak summer for you - there is nothing worse than that constant heat, you are game going sitting outside at 3am - I would be worried about spiders here in summer if I did that. stay cool, ms*daisy xox

Janet said...

Such lovely old photos. I, too, love anything old. What luck to get the boxes of goodies from your neighbor. Have fun going through them.
I think the heat is just awful everywhere this summer. We have had temps over 100ºF for 20 days and it is really taking its toll on me and everyone else.

Deirdre said...

I love looking through second hand shops and thrift (charity) stores. I think it all started in childhood too. We lived in Ireland for a while and my grandmother had her front parlour closed off and filled with antiques. I was allowed to go in and 'browse' for hours. I'd really much rather fill my house with things that have been lived with than new things with no soul. So nice to find a kindred spirit.

Sigruns German Garden said...

Hi Daisy, I still could not wait to see your kitchen dresser and your lovely collection of Portmeirion!

Sigrun

Tea said...

Thank you for posting some of your pictures. They`re wonderful. The old days fascinate me too and I also love looking at old pictures. I`ve often wished there were a way to go back in time to view how people and life was without actually being there. (I`d be afraid of getting stuck and I like the fact that women have mostly equal rights and better lives these days, at least in the Northern Hemisphere) Rumaging around in vintage shops, garage sales and antique stores is something I`d rather do any day than go to a mall.
The air here in Canada is incredibly stifling too. Strange how it`s everywhere.

Alice said...

That is a magnificent photo of Kate's wedding and so well preserved. Do you know what year it was taken? I would say that it's very early last century (has similar look to one of my father and his family taken in 1908). I look at an old photo like that and wonder what happened to all those people during their lives. What sort of careers they had, who they married, how many children, where they lived, did they become famous for anything, etc. etc. etc. ... Perhaps I'm just an incurable stickybeak after all.

Carole Burant said...

I love looking at old photos like that and as Alice said, I always wonder who they were, what they did, etc. Just like finding antiques..I wonder who used them,etc. I can just imagine how excited you were to find your mom's wedding hat...I'm sure that will be your prized hat in your collection:-) As for the box that your old neighbour gave you, I would have been in my glory going through it!! I can spend ages in charity shops, never know what treasures you might find!

Pear tree cottage! said...

O! what a wonderful couple of photos I love them so much, the people in them and the way they all look out at the future like this it is so lovely to have them still. We have similar posts you and I at the moment and that is just great.

You are going to show us a photo of your mothers wedding hat I hope and to think you now have it to treasure for always.

we in Australia hear you are in a terrible heatwave and that it could yet get worst. stay safe and cool.

I am now going back to take another look at your wonderful pictures.

best wishes to you.

Gina E. said...

Hi Daisy,
Was it LeeAnn or Ms Robyn who has started us all posting our family photos on our blogs? I am absolutely loving looking at everyone else's pix!
Like everyone else here, I love rummaging through 'junk' and antique shops, as well as secondhand book shops. It is lucky for us that so many other people don't value their family history; we get the benefits! Hope you will post a photo in due course of the embroidered napkins you found - I have a couple of boxed sets too, and can't bear to take them out of the boxes.

Beth said...

Daisy Dear,,,I just love the photos,,I saved the family one because I love to study them closer. I love any thing old,,pictures, clothes, cars, furniture,,ect...
I sure wish this heat would let up on every one. Its not been to bad here this week and we have some rain heading in for the remainder of the week. This is a wierd summer as usally the southern states fry in the heat,,but not so this year,,its all out west of us.
I wish I could go thrift store shopping with you in England,,sounds like you have alot better merchandise there!
Try to stay cool, Daisy Dear!

Annie Jeffries said...

Hi Daisy, Thank you for your nice note this morning. Things are beginning to look a bit better here now as well. I may not be gone as long as I anticipated. In the meanwhile, I'm writing in my journal and I'll post stuff later. In the meanwhile, if I need to throw a pity party, I'll know where to come. xxoo

Hugs,
Annie