Monday, July 24, 2006


I'm taking myself back over the years today, to my later teens, ages eighteen to twenty two, when I was mad, bad, and dangerous to know, well I thought I was, and I have to admit I met more eccentric people in those four years than I have done in the rest of my life. I trailed around in long velvet dresses or faded prints, wrapping myself in a vintage shawl. You always knew when I was approaching by the clinking of my bangles, the rattling of my numerous necklaces and the cloud of patchouli oil [which I still love as incense] that enveloped me. My feet were sometimes bare, my eyes were decorated like rainbows, with my tin of Mary Quant greasy eyeshadow crayons, my hair was very long and dark and I was known to occasionally wear flowers in my hair. This is a photograph of me towards the end of that time, with my cat of that era, Jasper. The eyeshadow art had calmed down by then. Sorry about the state of the photograph, and my head chop, but it was the best of a bad bunch if you can believe it.

I began thinking about this time and what were the cultural influences in my life, what were the books, the music and the icons? I started thinking along these lines purely because of a chance remark I made to another blogger. I noticed in her profile she had a book listed that I had read around those years, she had recently bought it again, and I happened to comment that I loved that book, but it probably tells a different story now to the one I remember. Sometimes talking to old friends, I find you would not think we were all talking about the same incidents, we all seemed to live in this wonderful world of our own. Some of these mad years I spent at Art College, and I have to be honest and I look back in astonishment at what we did without thinking about consequences and got away with.

I'll cut, with great difficulty, the list of books, and music down to the five greatest influences, and I will be very interested to see if any of you had or still have any of them in your collection. The numerical order means nothing, it is just five greatest influences, apart I have to say, from the one listed first in the books.


The first,and surely one of the best book manuals ever is The Whole Earth Catalog.
I still have it tattered and falling to pieces, it was always the first thing you used to look at for information and to find further books on the subect. I remember sitting up all one night reading the small story that was serialised in bottom corner of the page.








The second book is The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test by Tom Wolfe. The adventures of Ken Kesey and his Merry Pranksters traveling America in their madly painted day-glo bus. How, at that time, it seemed like it must have been the adventure of a life time, we all wanted wildly painted vehicles. There were five or six of us who used to travel around in a wreck of an old car, and my did we have some adventures in it, chugging around the country music blaring from the speakers.





Third is Dharma Bums by Jack Kerouac. A fictionalised account of his friendship with poet Gary Snyder, a contrast of his outdoor life, climbing mountains, and leading to his stint the next year as a fire lookout, and his wild city life and its drunkenness and parties. This made me think more about Eastern thought and religion amongst other things.

The fourth book is Trout Fishing in America by Richard Brautigan. I adored his quirky books. Trout Fishing was a series of sketches, about such things as a character by that name, a hotel by that name, and actually a fishing tale with the name.

The final book is Cider with Rosie by Laurie Lee, a beautiful book about a small boy in the earlier years of the 1900's, living with his family in the country. I have since reread this books many times.

There are other books I could have mentioned such as Stranger in a Strange Land by Robert Heinlein, Nine Princes in Amber by Roger Zelazny, The Country Girls, by Edna O'Brien, I loved the sass and cheek of those girls, and Women in Love by D>H> Lawrence, which I am no longer keen on, but then I loved the two sisters in the book, their clothes and their penchant for wearing brightly coloured stockings, and I began a craze of wearing purple, red or blue tights based on that.


Onto music, I think I will just list these musicians and my favourite album by them:-
Joni Mitchell - Got to admit can't decide on a favourite I love them all
Grateful Dead - American Beauty
Jefferson Airplane - Crown of Creation
Neil Young - After the Goldrush
The Incredible String Band - Wee Tam and Big Huge



Well I know that is five but I have got to add a Bob Dylan, its my list so as a bonus I'll add Blonde on Blonde.

What are your favourites from that time?

I was lucky enough to see The Grateful Dead twice, when they toured England, and also saw Jimi Hendrix play in my local town cinema, on the stage, which seems incredible now to think of, and he wasn't even top of the bill. I loved poster art from San Francisco and loved making candles and brightly coloured Mexican eyes from sticks and wool. I went to a large music festival, living for three days in conditions [a sea of mud] that makes me shudder to think about it.

It's fun to look back at those days, and remember how I used to be, but its a calmer life I live today and thoroughly enjoy, but everyone should make the most of their youth, as I constantly tell my children.

12 comments:

Miss Robyn said...

ahh ha! you just described my teen years - Mary Quant! I wore that too death as well as a colour called Black Tulip. I actually blogged on my old blog Daily Parcels about my teenage years, they were scary.

Tea said...

I`ve often wondered myself how we survived some of the crazy doings in the teen years. I always liked Jefferson Airplane and when they became Jefferson Starship. Fond memories but I`m glad to have grown up and lead a much more mellow and deeper life.
I understand now that old saying *Youth is wasted on the young*!

VintagePretty said...

hehe I remember being fascinated by my grandmother's Mary Quant crayons and playing with them as a child - to this day I can still smell that waxy smell.

I don't know how I survived through my teenage years, but a large part of it was spent in my room being moody and wearing black (you're talking to an ex-Official Goth here!) hehe. The things we do, eh?

Alice said...

That confirms it - I spent my teenage years on a different planet.

'Women in Love' is the only one of those books I've even heard of, let alone read. I can't recall what any of those singers sing or sound like.

Although I liked the pop music of the time, even as a kid I prefered classical music. I never really followed the fashions either - in clothes, makeup or anything.

Beth said...

I remember some of those books! And of course the fave movie was
St. Peppers Loney Hearts Club and Yellow submarine!
Did you ever see the book by Abbie Hoffman called "steal this book",,it was about how to rip off the system. I remember my older brother had it and he said you had to steal it from other people,,lol.
My teen years were in the late 70s. And pretty wild and crazy too!

Janet said...

Memories...you really took me back!
Last summer our little local park had a free concert and it was Starship! The remnants of Jefferson Starship. They did a lot of the old stuff and we thoroughly enjoyed it.

I love the photo of you and the kitty!

David (Snappy) said...

the only book i read from your list was the Dharma Bums.I love Jack Kerouac and my all time fav was on the Road.Recently my sister gave me two books from john steinbeck travels with charlie, and a collection of his essays.I have been rereading zen and the art of motorcycle maintenence.I dont know why the books made an impression on me, but they did.
We were all young (er) once and often suprise people by how different we are.Books, music, and films have definitely influenced me positively though.
I like the starting photo by the way, nice looking cat.

Rosa said...

What a fun time. I remember Mary Quant too. But all we I had was a tub of lip gloss, that I can recall. I was amazed to see her store in London! My brothers were always able to do things I couldn't (I was a little younger). They went to see the Beatles in DC when they came, my one brother went to Woodstock. I just got teargassed at the demonstrations in DC while we dropped my brother off to protest. Aw, the glory days of the 60s. hehe.

Naturegirl said...

Amen to your last paragraph and I have NOT heard "Mary Quant" since way back then and did you wear "Tabu" as fragrance of choice!! I seldom look back only forward>:)P.S. Beatles were
my idols if you must know!

Annie Jeffries said...

What a trip down memory lane!! I'm running to my turntable right now to put on "After the Goldrush" then follow up with "Blond on Blond" and any other Dylan I can find in my collection.

Carole Burant said...

I was what people considered a "square" in my teen years because I wouldn't smoke up, didn't wear makeup, I was an Elvis fan, etc...hmmmm I was a square wasn't I! lol My two older brothers in the meantime were pure hippies...I remember the black lights they used to have in their room (I'd sneak in there when they were gone cuz I loved the way it made any white clothes look so cool! lol) and the incense that was forever burning, the long hair, head bands, fringed jackets...and the music they listened to was Black Sabbath, Grand Funk Railroad, etc. I was into Elvis, CCR, Jim Croce...I was very shy and pretty much kept to myself. The funny thing is, my brothers could dare anything and not get caught...I'd try once to do something bad and I'd get caught right away! lol

Tinker said...

I've just been catching up on reading your blog, and I've really enjoyed
"strolling down memory lane," with you! I still have my copies of the Whole Earth Catalog and Stranger In a Strange Land. Love Joni Mitchell still, too. I laughed when I read about the Mary Quant make-up crayons, as I had them, too - basically did the same thing with them, and thought I was so original. What fun memories you've brought back - thank you!