Friday, July 28, 2006

Imagination is the living power and prime agent of all human perception - Samuel Taylor Coleridge

Before I put my box of old family photographs away, there are two more I would like to show you. The photograph on the right is my Great Grandmother, I posted about her husband, the army man that became a gardener, and passed all his gardening knowledge on to my Grandfather. I often think about my Great Grandfather when I am gardening and wish that I had known him, he could have given me lots of advice, I sometimes think he does whisper some in ear when I am dealing with my plants. I think my Great Grandmother looks so pretty, she was ten years older than her husband, but would never admit to it, she even hid her true age on the census form of 1901, only her birth certificate tells the truth. I presume her husband knew her correct age. They seemed a very happy couple, and I often feel there is an untold story about the pair of them, just a feeling I have. She apparently, always looked young for her age, and was said to be a lovely person and very loving and kind to my Mother.



The photograph above is of the wedding of a Great Aunt of mine, I have no positive date for this wedding yet, but suspect it sometime between 1914 to the early 1920's. If this is the case, the bride is definitely not in her first flush of youth. I do know for a fact that this is her only wedding, so judging by when she was born, she must have been a lot older than the normal age for brides at that time. I am still investigating this photograph, but could not resist showing it, mainly because of the contrast in fashions between the young and older ladies. The old ladies look very traditional, but the younger one are definietly looking modern, especially the one in the belted coat with all the button features and felt hat. The young teenage girl in her white dress, with its broad sash and straw boater, looks lovely doesn't she. If I ever find out more about this photograph I will post about it again.



This photograph is of my dining room dresser, it was taken during the Christmas holidays a couple of years ago. I happen to mention on a blogging friend's comments that I noticed she had a Portmierion plate in the photograph, and told her that I collected them. I promised I would put my dresser photograph on the blog, and if you click on it you can see the plates in more detail. I have to admit, I don't think I have ever paid full price for my Portmierion, one or two pieces I have been given as presents, one or two smaller pieces I actually found in charity shops and the rest I bought in discount china shops, so I suppose they are slight seconds, though I cannot see any flaws in them.



Thought I might as well post this other photograph of my dining room at the same time, in the corner is my lovely pine console, I have put wicker baskets on the two shelves underneath. Along the back, I don't think you can see them in the photo are all my small jars of various herbs. Yes, the walls are bright yellow and look even brighter yellow in reality, a sort of egg yolk yellow, but I painted them in honour of Monet's kitchen in Giverney, and I try to contrast the yellow with a lot of blue as in the blind and some of the plates. There have been one or two items added to the room since then.

10 comments:

Janet said...

Your great grandmother is very pretty. The photo of the aunt's wedding is interesting, too. Love the clothes.


Your dining room looks cheerful and welcoming. I especially like the bouquet on the table as that is one of my favorite flowers.

Carole Burant said...

I so love seeing old pictures like that...she was indeed very beautiful, your great grandmother! I will have to ask my mom if she has any pictures of her mom when she was young...I'd love to make a post about my gran. Your dishes are gorgeous and I love the way you have them displayed!!

Tea said...

Very beautiful Great Grandmother! And your dresser and dining room are lovely. What a cheerful feeling the room gives.
xo

Sigruns German Garden said...

What a surprise! Flora, thanks very much! I like this dressers very much and have seen a lot of them when I visit Burleigh with Mr. Wonderful last October. Oh, I can not think about this!
I have made a lot of photos there and in the next winter, when I have no garden photos, I show you all my photos from Britain.

Sigrun

Naturegirl said...

Very nice china collection and the first photo what a waist line! I painted my greatroom a "Tuscany" shade of yellow very soft.Of course your grandparents whisper to you in the garden... they are angels!!

Kali said...

What a stunning photo of your G'Grandmother ~ she was beautiful. I love looking at old photos too. These are great. You are so fortunate to have them. I know that we only have a handful of old photos left in my family. We nearly lost everything in a cyclone in 1974...the material things have been replaced many times over...it's the photos that are irreplacable :(
I hope you're having a lovely day daisy lupin xo

Beth said...

Your pictures are so delightful to look at. I agree with Janet,,your great grandmother was beautiful. I had to save it and the other one of the great-aunts wedding. I just love vintage pictures! I would love to sit in that lovely dining room and have some tea with you,,it looks so warm and cozy. Love the dishes,,what a find! I love to collect plates,,I just dont' have the room to display them all though.
Have a great week-end Daisy! I hope its cooler there now.

MariaJ said...

I loved to look your old photos. Its a pity I dont have so old ones. They are a real treasure to you. I love the style of those dresses ladies had at that time. Also it was nice to have a look of your comfortable home!!!

Rosa said...

I adore all your old photos. I love how they used to pose these poor people and then tell them not to move because the shutter was so slow! Look at that tiny waist! Wow. How lovely. I love all your dishes. I bought a few pieces of Portm. before I got married (some canisters) and put them in my Hope Chest. I still use them today. I love the flowers. Yes, I see them at discount stores now. Why would anyone pay full price for anything these days??? A little shopping usualy finds what you're looking for at a discount! Your dining room is lovely!! xo

Anonymous said...

What lovely family photos. Your great grandmother is beautiful & I love the group photo. You are so lucky to have those photos.

Sandy