Sunday, February 25, 2007

TIME OUT! - LET'S JUST STOP FOR A MOMENT




When I was younger older people would always be saying things such as 'Doesn't time fly?' I never thought it did then, time was just something that was around, I now think that my life was so blissfully unstructred by time tables that time didn't fly. Now say, thirty to forty years on, I think time is 'flying' but the worrying thing is that it is not just older people saying this, I hear people all over saying this, I see people on writing in their blogs, 'where has this week gone to?' and even my daughter in her early twenties thinks time flashes by. I bet there is not one of you out there who will not agree that Christmas seems months and months ago.

I am seriously begining to wonder what is wrong with time. Has it really speeded up? Are we so focused on the future and things that are to come that we have lost the capacity to enjoy and relish the present moment? I know we can't ignore time, most of us have places to be and to be doing something at certain times. It is our societies that have speeded up time, and we have no option, if we don't want to be homeless and penniless but to go along with this crazy speeding up. No wonder, there is so much stress and unhappiness.

Have you ever wondered what it would be like to ignore time for a day or two, it's an experiment I want to try some time soon. Yes, I know we will have a rough idea because of day and night, but I sometimes think if that was what our bodies could tune into time would slow down. The faster we try to cram more and more into our days the faster time goes. Even with things like meditation, we tend to slot it into the schedule, twenty minutes here, ten minutes there.

I am working on ideas of how to slow down time, at least for a little part of my life. I am thinking of some ideas that might help us achieve that. If any of you have any ideas, leave a comment, I am going to make a sidebar badge, and when I post it any of you can take it and put it on your sidebars if you wish to join with me and try to slow down time.

Friday, was a wonderful day, I had just settled down with a cup of coffee when the mail lady knocked. A box was there for me all the way from Gemma in Arizona, containing two healing spirit dolls. One was for the Hello Dolly Swap we are both involved in and the other was for a private swap we did as a practice for Hello Dolly.



First out of the box was the Green Man, this was the personal swap that Gemma and I did. [his photograph heads up this posting], the photopraph of the back of him and his words of wisdom are below. I was so pleased with the Green Man, a particular favourite of mine, I have a roundel of him that protects my garden. Also included was this wonderful Native American poem about the Green Man as tree, and I am sure you will agree that the sentiments in this poem are so pertinent to what I was talking about above and the world today.



The writing on the back of the Green Man doll says TO THEE AND TREE FOR NEW GROWTH AND HONORING ROOTS.




The Sprit Healing doll is a Zuni Kachina, and it wears a Zuni mask and has Zuni fetishes, of hare, yellow bird and turquoise leaf, and corn and shells used in rituals tied around the waist. I was thrilled to see Hare as one of the fetishes, as it is an animal that means a lot to me. Again there is a very sage poem to go with this Kachina which I have reproduced below. Both of these dolls have the most wonderful musky smoky fragrance eminating from them and the first evening I put them on my bedside table and went to sleep with this wonderful smell wafting by me and around me. I am perfectly serious when I say that I had the best night's sleep for weeks that night and I put that down to the dolls by the bedside and their healing powers.



A couple of weeks ago I received a Wise Woman doll from Robyn, and with all my computer problems etc, I am very much afraid that I never really got to talk about this doll or post a photograph of it. Well, I am making up for that now. I call this doll Meg, after a poem I vaguely remember at school about a gypsy called Meg Merilees. She sits on my artroom table and sends me out good vibes whilst I am creating. She also has much healing within her and she keeps my workroom calm. She has a very serene face but at times she also reminds me of myself with the woven bag she carries containing two healing semi-precious stones and a stick wand.



I now have three beautiful spirit dolls to soothe me when I work and to soothe me when I sleep. It is lovely to see my collection of art dolls growing like this. Thank you so much Robyn and Gemma, your dolls have touched my spirit.

I have had a lovely weekend, jotting down some creative ideas and although I don't really watch much television there is a programme I love, I don't know if anyone knows it, it is called 'Rosemary and Thyme' and is about two women who run a gardening business but also go around solving murders. A body always turns up in the shrubbery sooner or later. Well one channel had a weekend dedicated to this programme, so I had fun dipping in and out of different episodes, sunshine, beautiful gardens and a little sleuthing on the side what better way to spend a rainy weekend?



23 comments:

Gill said...

WOW, the dolls are great, and they do make you feel good and thats what matters, love sewn in every stitch.

Take care
Gill

tlchang said...

Do let me know what you come up with to 'slow time'! I think you're right about it being a society-thing. More 'things' to do - more information - more trying to 'keep up' with everything 'out there'.... It is now a skill that takes some work to aquire - just learning how to 'be' and 'be present' (that didn't seem to be a problem when we were kids. I think it is for kids now).

I love the Greenman too. He's one of my favorite archetypes...

Lila Rostenberg said...

Those are wonderful dolls...it is fun to watch them all emerge as we create and swap!
I had been thinking of renting some "Rosemary and Thyme" episodes and will think of you and your garden when I do!

Miss Robyn said...

I have my theory on time speeding up but no way will I ever post it.. I will be run out of town or else committed...
I just love dolls.. I am so glad you like yours & I think the green man is wonderful.. I just might try making myself one..
Oh and those poems are wonderful!

Loretta a/k/a Mrs. Pom said...

Daisy dear, the photos of your grandfather reminds me so much of one that I have of mine, though he is wearing a silly hat made of newspaper to ward off the sun.

Houses have such strong mythology for me. My next essay in Cloth, Paper, Scissors is about the pull that houses of the past continue to have on me.

I so enjoyed your stroll through the houses of your past.

gma said...

Actually there is no time (man made idea) there is only always....which is a paradox as the days fly by.

Suzie Q said...

Oh Daisy, those dolls are beautiful, and the words so very wise...I love the Greenman, too. Made a tiny quilt with his face on last year. Thank You so much for sharing them with us.

I love Gemma's thoughts on time...
I haven't worn a watch for many years now, but time still flies past at a rate of knots, so I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with to slow it down! :) It does seem a long time since Christmas already, and a lot of the spring flowers are starting to show their faces...

I love Feleicity Kendal, but have only seen one or two of that series you mention. Shame I missed that weekend of them, but good to know you had a great time with them.

Lovely post, Daisy.
Thank You :)

Suzie Q said...

Oops! Apologies to Felicity! ;)

mrsnesbitt said...

Meg Merrilies

Old Meg she was a gypsy;
And liv'd upon the moors:
Her bed it was the brown heath turf,
And her house was out of doors.

Her apples were swart blackberries,
Her currants, pods o' broom;
Her wine was dew of the wild white rose,
Her book a church-yard tomb.

Her brothers were the craggy hills,
Her sisters larchen trees;
Alone with her great family
She liv'd as she did please.

No breakfast had she many a morn,
No dinner many a noon,
And 'stead of supper she would stare
Full hard against the moon.

But every morn, of woodbine fresh
She made her garlanding,
And every night the dark glen yew
She wove, and she would sing.

And with her fingers old and brown
She plaited mats o' rushes,
And gave them to the cottagers
She met among the bushes.

Old Meg was brave as Margaret Queen,
And tall as Amazon:
An old red blanket cloak she wore,
A chip hat had she on.
God rest her aged bones somewhere —
She died full long agone!

KaiBlue said...

I love the dollies!! I got my first one Stacia today and love it to bits.. Time has stopped for me and now Im just officially ancient!! :)lol.
Daisy, My sis called Mrs N. today and we are meeting in the UK in a few weeks, you coming?????? please?
Peace, Kai.

Carole Burant said...

I need to know where to find the fountain of youth AND how to slow time down!!! lol I just find that as I get older, the time is going by faster...don't know why that is! Some days I'll think it's still early, look at the clock, and gasp because it's so much later than I thought! Love those dolls you've received...also enjoyed reading the stories that came with them...beautiful! xoxo

J C said...

Wow Daisy. YOur dolls are too, too wonderful! Love them!

Lisa Oceandreamer Swifka said...

The dolls are fantastic, all of them!

Ah to slow time...ah not to be constantly saying 'where has the time gone?' or 'wow that sure went by fast". It often robs us of savoring moments because it goes by in a blur. Here in California EVERYONE is always hurrying along, everything is fast paced and you can get really caught up in the vacuum of it. Then suddenly you're older.

XOXO

Naturegirl said...

I just came in from Gemmas and I was out at the bookstore here in Florida and looking at the book ...Greenman!! I almost bought it but now after seeing your post I.m heading back for it!!
Love the dolls both yours and Gemmas creations!
Come on by the beach with me!
hugs NG

Janet said...

The dolls are all wonderful. What special spirits they are....and how nice to have such sweet sleep because of them. Love the poems, too.

If you figure out how to slow things down a bit I would truly love to know. People even talk faster these days!!

mrsnesbitt said...

Dx

Lisa said...

Beautiful, beautiful dolls. I think I may be in the mood to make some myself now. I haven't felt like it lately.

I find that every time I drop some commitment (like choir) that I don't really enjoy, time slows down just a bit. I really do enjoy staying home and any outside commitments make me dread a certain time or day, which of course speeds up their getting here.

I love the pics of your homes and family. I get very attached to places myself.


It's so good to see you blogging again, even if it takes me a while to get here sometimes. Tim is leaving for 3 months and there's tons of little things to do before he goes..which is this week!

Annie Jeffries said...

It's always such a pleasure to come here Daisy and read your posts. Today was extra treat-filled with Gemma's and Robyn's dolls.

Saur♥Kraut said...

Beautiful dolls! And I agree with your observations about time. Isn't it funny how that happens? You're completely correct. It's 2007, and the last time I looked, it was 2004. I blinked, and three years disappeared and my son is 13! ARGH!

Tinker said...

Beautiful dolls, Daisy - what fun to open the mailbox and find these treasures! So glad you're the recipient of so much goodness. xo

couragetocreatewriteandlove said...

Yesterday, I went home from work thinking about what you posted. I am here Today and still don't know what to say about time but yes I wish I had more time to do more things but I also wonder if having money and no need to work and having my enthusiasm for doing things would make my time "longer"? This thought gets in my head sometimes but I push it away since then it can come with attachments (not good ones)
I agreed with Lisa, I live in California and I know what she is talking about.
But I know inside me (very) that a more restful pace calms my spirit and is the best and positive solution for my kind of life I lead.
Well, I just have a couple of ideas how about getting quiet and try to hear our inside voice for advice on how to spend and order our days and the second one would be saying No when it is necessary.
Well, I have to go now, Enjoy peace and rest after this long comment.

couragetocreatewriteandlove said...

I love your gifts dolls, gorgeuos!! and I am going to look about the greenman, now

Tanaya said...

Fantastic dolls!

My dh & I love Rosemary & Thyme. Our public broadcasting station played the entire series. We were so sad to see it end.