Wednesday, February 21, 2007

TAKING STOCK



After my last posting, I found these two photographs, of my Grandfather's garden, the garden that is my favourite of past house gardens. There's my grandfather, relaxing in front of his greenhouse, which looks to be full of tomato plants and in the other photograph there I am toddling up another gravel path. It looks as though I am pulling off a flower head, naughty me! I just wanted to show you them so as you could get an idea of how it was a typical post First World War English garden even into the early 1960's.



I feel as if I have lost the month of January, and some of February. Ideas and projects for the new year, got cast aside in the double whammy of completely sorting out my Mother's belongings and life and the great hard drive crash. I actually feel as though my year started at the beginning of this week and am now in the process of taking stock of what I achieved last year and building on it this year.

I have my swap projects under control again, and am going back to my Daisy Lupin Designs. These Daisy Lupin designs, will be in the site I created to run along side my blog, and has been under construction for the past three or four months. Bascially I will be putting up for sale on there items I create, including Daisy Fae dolls and Podlings, all protected by copyright, especially the Podlings, [I have noticed similar things starting to be seen around blogland], only true Podlings come with the Podling certificate and story though. I am also making Mark II podlings. It is so lovely to be creating again. I think it will be easier to sell through this site than Ebay and etsy and I can set up paypal for payments, apparently.

I am also trying to set up a visual display site for the work of people who I am in a group with. You would not believe how difficult it is to write down terms and conditions clearly and simply so they do not sound ambiguous and everyone can understand exactly how the things will run, without bombarding me with emails. I am trying to make sure I cover all aspects of this project, and it is quite complicated and taking me quite a while, to set it up.

I am also dithering about setting up a sort of, how can I explain this, Daisy Lupin exploration course, through email. Basically, this is very early work in progress, but for a small sum people could be sent by email instructions for finding out more about themselves through doing given exercises, a mixture of writing, games, drawing etc. I know it sounds slightly boring but no, it would be typically Daisy Lupin, flight of fancy, quirkiness and musing. This is probably important for me as I love exploring my mind and creativity in many ways that I think others would enjoy.

Those three projects listed above are what I have written in my journal as achievable this year. Wish me luck.



I came across these photographs of the nearest town to me, actually it is a city as it has a small cathedral, it is also where I was born. The first photograph shows the fine neo-gothic Victorian Railway station, at one time a very important station in the railway network. Trains going to all points, north, south, east and west. That is what you would walk out of if you came by train. You would then walk up a slight incline, past the hotel next to the station and face this edifice.



Actually there are two of them, one on either side of the road. These were where the southern gates to the city stood at one time, the city walls were either side of them. These are not the original structures. There had been a gate in the city walls from medieval times, this was replaced in the sixteenth century by a fortress, thought needed to protect the city, this was around the time of Henry VIII and his dissolution of the monastries. This fortress, in turn was demolished and in 1810 these two ovals towers were built, at the bottom of one of the towers there is still some of the stonework of the previous fortress. These two citadels were known as the courts and until a few years ago the one on the left was the criminal court and the one on the right was the civil court. Many years ago the jail was also further along from the citadel tower on the left hand side.



In front of the right side tower is The Crescent [you can just see it in the top right hand corner of this photograph] what must have been a wonderful sweep, once of large houses, now they are shops at the bottom and flats above. It must have been my town's answer to the magnificent crescents that were being built in London and Bath. Unfortunately, the crescent is now a traffic nightmare.




This little alleyway runs at the back of the right hand side of the citadel and is known as Citadel row, it used to be full of tiny little shops, but is now owned by the council, who used some of it as offices for a while.



The large black and white building on this photograph stretches all the way back down Citadel Row. It is not a tudor or mock tudor building as most people think but it is an example of an arts and crafts style building. It belongs to the council and used to be let out as shops and offices, but after the floods of 2005 which flooded the police station at the other end of town, the police use this building as a police station until their new one is ready.
Another posting I will show you some more of the historic parts of my nearest town, and at a later date I will also show you photographs of my nearest local market town. Hope you have enjoyed seeing the above photos showing small slices of local history.


13 comments:

Carole Burant said...

I just love that baby picture of you in the gardens...it was so beautiful, it's no wonder you remember it so well! The very best of luck to you dear Daisy with all the projects you have in mind...can't wait to see what you'll have for sale:-) I so enjoyed the pictures showing where you lived...the history behind a lot of those buildings are quite fascinating! Thank you for sharing! xoxo

Miss Robyn said...

oh sign me up for the exploration course for sure!!!!!!
as to the podlings - I have noticed copying too - it is such a fine line.... some people make money from their art and to see it blatantly copied makes me seethe.. but what to do? Your podling design is YOURS and most people can recognize them... yours are made with love, healing and daisy 'quirkiness' ~ I have one and only YOU could make a true podling... best of luck with it Daisy, I am sure you will do well.

Contessa Kris said...

Daisy - I didn't have another way to contact you and found my original email with your blog link today. I wanted to let you know I'm your valentine SEcret FAiries sister. And I'm horribly late. Somehow I was not emailed your name/address when everyone else was and when the hostess announced that everything should be mailed already, I contacted her about it. She gave me your address, I intended to get to the post office these last 2 weeks but we've all been sick and housebound and didn't go anywhere. So here your package sits and its a lovely one too. Anyway, short story long, its mailing in the morning. I didn't want you to think you had been forgotten. It should reach you soon.

Lisa Oceandreamer Swifka said...

I really enjoyed all the photos and town/home history and memories from this post and the last one. Loved seeing the one with you and your son. Such cherished photos of your grandfather and you in his garden.You are quite lucky to have these kinds of family records in photos.
I feel I, too, am just starting the new year...while resorting the studio ideas flood my mind. I wish you every success in all your ventures, I know they will be fabulous! Not sure I understand what the exploration project is exactly, I will be anxious to hear more about that.
XOXO
Love,
Lisa

Suzie Q said...

Beautiful photographs, Daisy. Thanks so much for sharing them, and your gorgeous surroundings.
I'm looking forward to seeing your dolls & podlings, and the email course sounds wonderful..
I wish you every success in everything you do.
I, too, feel as though the year has just started. Following the Finding Water book has been like a beginning, and it's only a week in... such huge changes ahead, I think. All for the good, I'm sure.
Have a lovely day, Daisy, and thanks again :)

JacquiG said...

I also have a of me in my grandfather's garden when I was a child! Love the pictures of the city near you. It wouldn't be Carlisle would it? My Mum lives near there and I'll be there in a couple of months!

Jackie

KaiBlue said...

I love looking into the photos you post, a secret smile, a subtle flower, sweet little cobblestone streets, memories from the past of family.. It's awesome Daisy.
PEace, Kai.

Pam Aries said...

Daisy.. I loved this look at history! It is so neat to see the different places people live! Some one started a "Pictures of where I live" meme ...and plan to take some of my town! Great idea! ....and , oh , by the way...I have not gone up in smoke! tee hee! you are so funny!

Lila Rostenberg said...

Best of luck with all of your projects as you begin your "new year"! I look forward to seeing your creations for sale, and think it was very wise of you to copyright the Podlings!
Your grandfather's garden looks so genteel and lovely!
My grandparentts were just coming out of our great Oklahoma dust bowl years, so not many gardens were in evidence...but I do remember especially sitting under the blooming lilac bush at my grandmother's!

Janet said...

I always enjoy seeing all the photos of your area....it's like having a mini-vacation tour. Your grandfather's garden looks wonderful and I think you look so cute toddling on the path.

TJ said...

Hi...I'm here on a visit from Lisa Oceandreamer...she was showing off some of your work and I love the dolphin patch...I just love dolphins period...what is a podling if you don't mind my asking?
:-D

Tinker said...

Beautiful photos, Daisy. Your podlings are adorable - your work is so lovely. Best of luck with all of your ventures! xo

J C said...

Good luck, Daisy. Hope all your endeavors come about! I haven't seen any other podlings except yours. Lots of people make tiny dolls, and maybe it's just artistic thinking. I've seen pictures on the internet of things that are so like mine it's uncanny, but it's just artistic minds thinking alike. Don't fear. Your podlings are loveable and say "Daisy" all over them! :)