Saturday, January 13, 2007

THIS SHOW IS WELL AND TRULY ON THE ROAD



I am now well and truly immersed in moving my Mum to her new flat. At last she is showing signs of being a little bit excited at somewhere new to live, though she cannot cope at all with the packing so just sits in her living room and lets me get on with it. This is a boon, to me, she has told me, I am just to do exactly as I want and take any decisions I feel justified in taking. This is making life a lot easier, though I am living in a fog of exhaustion at the moment. She has specified the items she wants with her, such as favourite ornaments, pictures,and photograph. The rest I am packing taking home and there I will sort through them. She will have moved, hopefully before the end of the month, then I will spend a couple of weeks finishing off the packing in her old flat.



The move will be in two stages, my son and I are in charge, and I spent thirty minutes on the phone to him in London last night, planning our strategy. He takes after me in his organising capacities. He is coming up from London next weekend for the first part of the move. I think you would all laugh if you could see the notebook of lists that I am carrying everywhere with me. The other thing connected to the move is pleasant and fun. My mother will need new curtains etc as she has never had windows this shape and size before, so I am to undertake a shopping expedition on her behalf and buy her various new household items. I am picking them and organising them so its a bit like playing interior decorators, that will keep my inner child happy. I love advising people about rooms and decor.



When this move is completed, what I want to do more than anything is to go to my workroom and create, create, after sorting black bin liners. The best thing about this move is that I have come across much fabric and vintage material that I can use. Also, I found a couple of boxes of old greetings cards from the 1950's, put together with the buttons, ribbons, threads and broken beads I have sorted, I am going to have some wonderful treasures for collage and altered art.



The other evening when I returned home from sorting, had my dinner and settled down in a chair with my candles and incense, there was a real treat on television for me. I don't watch a lot of television, and sometimes forget to look at the listings, luckily my husband had spotted this and told me. It was a vintage Joni Mitchell concert from 1970. It was a small studio concert in London made by BBC television [ our public broadcasting station]. It was just so good to hear her play all the very early work, accompanying herself on guitar, piano or dulcimer, especially as she played my favourite early song For Free. I do hope they repeat it again sometime. When I first bought her albums in those far off days I also bought her songbooks as well and used to spend many a happy hour playing her songs on the piano and warbling along with my playing. At some point everyday out would come the music books and plink plonk on the piano I would go. [Big secret, I still have them and my dream is to find a piano again sometime and resume playing them]



The next evening it was a Neil Young concert from the same time, that pleased my husband as well. It was good too, but he was so totally out of it, he forgot the words to one song, couldn't decide which guitar to use and had a pocket full of harmonicas. The few songs he did were fantastic but was guy was sooooo stoned when he did that BBC concert. I think they have been putting these concerts on as they have had a documentary series on about the musicians of that time that hung about LA. You know the Byrds, Crosby Still Nash and Young, Joni etc. - Fantastic!




When I was writing my last posting about long ago holidays in Scarborough, I was wishing I had to some photographs to hand of that time, there was one in particular I liked of me sitting on steps with the Boarding House's Jack Russell Terrier. The strangest thing happened, I was sorting out another bag of my Mum's paperwork last night and there in the middle of old receipts etc was the very photograph I had been thinking, amazing. I have posted it above, I think the dog was called Pickles. I was so pleased to learn on my comments site that another blogger had been on the Hispaniola voyage and had been frightened as well, though she doesn't remember digging for treasure, maybe as the years went by they changed the concept of it. I am sure there must be more people that remember it. Glad to here I was not the only child with a vivid imagination, Tinker, seems to have had a similar experience with a wild west theme.

18 comments:

Miss Robyn said...

I am so happy that your mum is allowing you free reign! I can just see you - notepad in hand, pencil tucked behind ear, organising the packing !
love the photo - is that your mum behind you?
the vintage fabrics sound wonderful!

Naturegirl said...

Daisy and so your journey begins in relocating your mom..I have done just that 6 months ago and yes much planning organizing and shopping for furnishings was on the to do list. We still have much to sort out stored in the basement of my home.
Joni Mitchell I love her voice!

Heather said...

I'm so glad things are going smoothly for both you and your mom. This is a difficult time but it sounds as if you are both getting on with it with wonderfully positive attitudes! The picture of you with the dog is adorable - you were quite the little Miss! I love the little clip in your hair!

Lisa Oceandreamer Swifka said...

I am so glad this move has turned out to be a much easier transitition so far. It IS a bit daunting when sorting through the details, packing, sorting etc BUT I think your mom will like the change, fresh and new..I bet she thrives. I'm glad your son will be helping you.
As for the concert you watched on TV - as you know I am also a HUGE Joni fan... and I had to laugh when I read about the songbooks, piano and singing to them because guess what? ME TOO!! I also have a dulcimer. My piano needs work so it's stored. We could do duets, lol!
I wish you an easy time with all that's happening with your mom.
XOXO
Love,
Lisa

couragetocreatewriteandlove said...

I love love Neil Young! I think I have all of his cd's and some LP's and I absolutely love Joni Mitchell! Your picture is so cute!

Lisa said...

So glad things seem to be going so well with the move. It's good that your mother can trust you with the decisions.

I love the pic of you with the Jack Russell.

gma said...

Jack Russell Terriers....are the cutest little dogs!!!!So good that your Mums move is going well and that you are on top of it... Joni Mitchell sounds like a nice break.... xoxo

Julie H said...

Daisy, I am so glad you found a few moments to relax in among the hectic moving journey.

Hugs

Carole Burant said...

It's no wonder you're so exhausted, having to pack up and go through all your mum's stuff but it certainly does make it a lot easier for you that she's allowing you free reign over it all!! Once she's settled in her new place, you'll feel like a weight has been lifted from your shoulders!

Don't you just love those old concert footage? lol I don't think there were too many of these singers who weren't stoned!! Love Joni Mitchell and Neil Young though!

That old photo is so wonderful and see, you were meant to find it and post it for us to see:-) hehe I can imagine how excited you were to find all that vintage material as well as those old Christmas cards!! Lovely!

Hugs xox

Lila Rostenberg said...

Dealing with your mother's accumulations can be exhausting. What a blessing that you are creative and can find delight in some of the treasures!

KaiBlue said...

I think it's great that your mum and you connect thru this move and her trusting you to help her with her flat.. you're a wonderful daughter!!
Peace, Kai.

Tea said...

Glad to hear things are getting sorted for you with your Mum Daisy :)
I really like that pic of you on the step!

tea
xo

Rosa said...

I had tickets to a Neil Young concert in the 70s but had to give them up because the family was going on a road trip. My friends said, he was so horrible that he couldn't even stand up! Gee. SO glad he's back to his roots.

Pam Aries said...

Daisy daisy! this is the greatest post! i don't know why...but for me it was !!!!! It was so nice to know that your mom's moving will have a fun aspect! I love the old pics! I love Joni and Neil!

Annie Jeffries said...

You account of moving your mom reminds me so much of the moves I've done for my mom over the last five years. Mom is gone now but there is one last move to do - sorting through the storage locker. I must admit, I'm dreading it.

Tinker said...

What a wonderful synchronicity, finding the very photo you'd been wanting! I love when those things happen.
Glad you (and your mother) are finding some joy in the moving venture. Take care and remember to give yourself some breathing room! xo

Beth said...

Awhh,,I love that pic of you,,and that looks like my little mutt, except she is a rat terrier, but they look alot alike. Oh,,I love Joni,,I wonder if they will do that concert on our Public TV,,I would love to see it. Sounds like your going to be very busy for the next few weeks. I am glad your getting your Mom closer to you. Have fun decorating the flat,,I am sure it will be lovely. And what great collaging you will be doing with all that wonderful goodies your finding! Take care Daisy!!!

Anonymous said...

Hope the move is going smoothly for you both.