Saturday, January 20, 2007

FROM A TINY SPARK A BRAND NEW TOPIC IS WONDERED ABOUT


I often find that one of my blogging friends writes about something on their blog and it sort of takes on a life of his own, other people comment, including me, then I sometimes feel compelled to muse about it and then go off at a tangent and write about where the tangent led me and write about it on my site.

This time it was Gemma that started me musing. She posted Leonard Cohen's Joan of Arc on her site, saying how every so often you get a craving for some of good old Leonard. I posted agreeing that just sometimes no one else will do. I then posted that my all time favourite lines of Leonard's were ...and she brings you tea and oranges that come all the way for china... from Suzanne. When I checked that my posting was on the site I noticed that immediately above me was a posting from Lisa Oceandreamer, mentioning guess what? her favourite song was Suzanne too. This led to a lovely exchange of emails where we both discovered our images of Suzanne and her life were identical. This in turn got me looking out Songs of Leonard Cohen and indulge in repeat track playing of Suzanne. In turn this led to a discussion with husband who said Leonard Cohen had written it about a real woman called Suzanne whom he, [Cohen, not my husband lol!] had known. I said, yes, but that was nothing to do with my Suzanne, who I had imagined, my Suzanne was more of an archetype and inspired me, and that I hadn't taken the real one into consideration at all.

After satisfying my Leonard Cohen need, I then moved onto Google and found out all about the real Suzanne, I thought if you didn't know about her you might be interested in these links that explains all about her. I have also uploaded her photo and show it below. Of course, this does not make me budge one inch on the Suzanne in my head. She was created by me, and Lisa Oceandreamer it seems.
http://www.leonardcohenfiles.com/verdal.html and http://www.leonardcohenfiles.com/verdal.html



We are still having wild winds with galeforce gusts, just the sort of day to stay indoors, so I made the most of it. I actually got into my artroom this afternoon,[Hello artroom,long time no see did you think I have forgotten about you? I'll be back lots when life resumes its even pace once more.] put some bits in pieces in order, sat down at my desk wrote a list of all the swaps etc that I am participating in, hoping I am not forgetting to write things down and pinned it to the wall. Then, oh what bliss. I actually sat on got on with one of my projects and did some hand sewing. I so enjoyed it, sitting in a pool of lamplight, wind gusting at the window, heating hissing and clanking away, incense burning. In fact, I was enjoying it so much I had to put Leonard Cohen's Songs From a Room on all over again.

I have just bought three Charles de Lint books really cheaply on Amazon Used Books, two were ones I read a long time ago but never owned copies of, plus I want to read them again, and the third was one I have not read yet Spirit in the Wires. I was just going to start reading a book called The Red Tent that quite a few people seem to have recommended, although it has been published for a few years now. Now I am thinking, should I leave that and go straight to the Charles de Lint I haven't read or ..., oh decisions, decisions. At the moment I am listening to Madeleine Peyroux, [yes still, I am besotted with it], Jamie Cullen's Twenty Something and as mentioned above Songs From a Room.

This illustration above is called The Two Gossips, isn't it adorable? I am sure it is me, in the mob cap and fingerless lace glove, busy creating while a friend visits me and we catch up in the garden on local gossip. I will admit to being a bit of a gossip, not of the mean kind, I just love to know all the news and while we are telling truths, I won't deny I am a really nosey parker at times, well, I call it interest in humanity, I like to see where people live and know what makes them tick. I have just found a fabulous project on Flikr. com called, wait for it, The Bookshelf Project. The idea is you photograph your bookshelves and upload them onto flickr. The only proviso is that you must be able to read the titles of the books. This site must have been made for me, if I ever see a photo of someone's room and there books on the shelves, I will do my best to zoom in or enlarge or whatever to try to read the book title. Please excuse me this, its just that I love books, and like to know what other people like! I do know one person that reads this blog, admitting to trying to read the titles in my bookcase when I posted photos of my cottage. YOU know who you are, and I don't blame you one bit. Well believe me, you can while away some pleasant time on this project and some people even mention which of the books they are reading now and if any are up for trading. Check it out!



Must go now Saturday evening in my cozy living room complete with glass of wine is awaiting me, oh tell the truth Daisy, well a bottle of wine and one wine glass, the other half is going to have some lager.

16 comments:

Carole Burant said...

Hi Daisy:-) Yes, it is funny how often times something you read on someone elses blog sparks a need to do some research. It was only a couple of years ago that I had read Leonard Cohen's "Suzanne" was based on a real woman of that name. Thank you so much for the links! Glad to hear that you're starting to craft again...I think a lot of us are finding it hard to get back into our regular routine!! Lately I've been buying a lot of scrapbooking materials and hope to get at it soon...I'd like to start making my own cards:-) All your crafty people have inspired me! lol As for the books, I'm not much into books but yet like you, I am always curious to see what books people read! Have a wonderful weekend dear friend!! Hugs xox

Lisa said...

Fun post. I confess, I too tried to read your book titles. It's a compulsion.

I wasn't familiar with Cohen (or perhaps I know his music but not his name..that happens alot. "Oh THAT's so and so? I love him.") I asked Tim and guess which song he started singing to me? Suzanne, of course. lol

He loves him. So much to learn about those with whom we live. :)

Pam Aries said...

Daisy! your post was so great for me today! I too was sparked by Gemma's post. My Leonard Cohen CD got trashed a while back and these posts made me remember and so I plan to get a new one! also ..I believe that the books a person has tells what kind of person they are! COOL! LOVE YA! OH and ...,BTW: I am having some Vino tonight..after all it is Saturday!

Miss Robyn said...

did you enjoy your glass (or three) of wine? Must look up the book Suzanne.
I so enjoyed it, sitting in a pool of lamplight, wind gusting at the window, heating hissing and clanking away, incense burning it sounds perfect!

Naturegirl said...

Heh that's not Suzanne that's a photo of me with my cats! OH Daisy do read ~the Red Tent~ first!I know *YoU* will love it from all I know about you by way of our blogs! Now put that wine down and come on over and gossip with some friends..~White tea rose~ and an ~*Irish Blessing*~ is being served! hugs NG

gma said...

Daisy Thanks for the links to Leonards files....interesting to hear from Suzanne.
Enjoy reading The Red Tent.
Life is good.... a long list of books to read!!!!

Lisa Oceandreamer Swifka said...

It's still fascinating to me that we both have Suzanne as a favorite and that our images of her were and are so similar. I had never even supposed it involved a real person, I guess I just accepted my version of her. So it was a fascinating read about the muse behind the song. The times she described sound so magical, simple and artistic...sad to learn fame seemed to draw them apart. I do, however,hold fast to the image in my mind.
Books are a wondrous thing and normally I would read every single night. I haven't done so in a good amount of time and now my stack to be read is mounting. I must email you about an old book I ordered from Amazon.
Any time someone posts pics from their home I, being a bit of nosey parker myself, like to enlarge and get the sense of that person. I've been known to look at book titles too.
Anyway, this comment is now a saga. Let us all get back in to the frenzy of creative endeavors and take a break now and then for a little fun spirited gossip, glass of wine or cup of tea and discuss our books.
XOXO

KaiBlue said...

Aloha Daisy,
My dad has been keeping me informed as half of England is blown across europe!!
It sort of made me giggle to think that peoples *particulars* would end up in curious places they were not meant to be..
Please stay safe, enjoy a glass of wine by your fire and a lovely evening :)
PEace, Kai.

Janet said...

Leonard and I share a birthday! Not the year but the date!
The Two Gossips is just adorable. I love the whole look of it.
I'm off to check out The Bookshelf Project...sounds like my kind of thing!
Stay safe and don't blow away!!

Dot said...

Hi Daisy
Many thanks for the comment you lfet on my blog about receiving my 6 x 6 quilt piece. Am very sorry to hear of the death of your best friends husband. Take care.

tlchang said...

I can never leave de Lint books for second. I always have to read them first. :-) It would take many many photos for me to post ALL of my bookshelves in order to be able to read all the titles... There are every so many!

Who painted the Two Gossips? (the signature is cut off a bit). It is darling!

Rosie said...

Haven't commented before but love reading your blog. The Book Shelf Project sounds good - must have a look. I have a friend who's mad about Leonard Cohen and the song 'Suzanne' especially - thanks for the links :)

natural attrill said...

Leonard Cohen, that brings back memories, when I was a young teenager I used to like him, especially The Stranger Song.
Penny.

Sheila said...

Nice to hear from you again Daisy. I have 'The Red Tent', in my bedside pile, along with 'Perfume' that Corey recommended to me. Also 'A year in the World', and about 4 others. I tend to panic if the pile gets too small.
I enjoy the infrequent interviews we see of Cohen on CBC, he has a very dry wit, and is flirtatious at the same tame. Still rather dishy too.
BTW..I also used to wear those red leather T strap sandals..and was told the same thing..!

Annie Jeffries said...

Dear Daisy, I love Suzanne and have not heard it in years. I'm going to pull out my old Leonard Cohen vinyls tonight and sit back and enjoy them once again. I had no idea Suzanne was a real person. Thanks for the link. The interview was fascinating.

J C said...

You're too funny Mz. Daisy, with your "glass" of wine. Sounds like that Suzanne thing was more of the syn---crow---nicity, don't you think?

Is your mum all settled in now. If you posted it, I missed it. Where do you find time to read all those books? And do art. And take care of your mum and your hubby and your home. And do your gardening. And your shopping. And, and, and......