Tuesday, January 02, 2007

FIRST POSTING OF 2007



Why is it that at the beginning of the New Year, when you take down all the Christmas decorations, although you did a Christmas clean before hand, everywhere looks used, slightly grubby, sad and bare? Putting the Christmas decorations away is always a long slow haul, I think because there is not the excitement you experience when you are putting them up, the excitement that Christmas is imminent. I have learnt with age that it is worth taping them into boxes properly so that there is no heartbreak with broken treasures when you open the boxes up the next year. Thinking about what I said before about things looking sad and bare, add another project to my list, this is, obviously, the time of year, to jiggle belongings around a bit and move old favourites to new places.

I have already had thoughts about some bamboo shelving in the bathroom that I think now needs to be painted white. Also I have plants in the bathroom that have thrived so well that it is almost like having a bath in the jungle, in fact, one of the plant's leaves, the castor oil plant, actually dips its leaves in the bath water. It freaks poor Sweetpea out, when she is at home, I think she expects snakes and things to slither down it. There are three plants, I have problems with two large ferns and the said castor oil plant, the only room they now fit in comfortably is the bathroom and they are starting to out grow that. I wonder if I could split them and make six plants instead of three, anyone think that is a possibility, I mean I split my garden plants?

I did buy two beautiful stripey cotton rugs, in the January sales, to go in the bathroom, when I have sorted out the plants and painted the bamboo. Top of the house list is another, work surface in the kitchen either counter or table and throughout the house more bookshelves. Well that is what I aiming for homewise this year.



I started my brand new diary and journal last night, and immediately made a splodge and an error, on the first page, I was really cross and got a bit control freakery over it, but decided I couldn't do anything about the error in the diary except cross it out, and my journal is bound so beautifully, I simply wouldn't like to try to tear a page out. So first lesson of new year, errors and splodges are not wrong, just part of life. My diary and journal are both compact, but perfectly formed, made by a firm I have never heard of before called Paperblanks, both have different vintage boots on the cover, I got one as a birthday present from my friend and she gave me the other as part of my Christmas present. I just love them. The journal will probably just be for writing and noting things in, so I think I will have to get another book for a larger visual journal for the year.



I will probably spend the rest of this week tiding up my artroom, getting putting away everything that managed to get dumped in there over the holidays, to make room for children, Christmas trees etc, and get things into some sort of order. By the weekend I should be able to start working in it again, and then, what fun, there are some exciting projects and swaps to be made this coming year, amongst other things.



After the stormiest New Year's Eve I have ever known, rain lashing against the windows, wind bending the trees right over, playing football with my garden furniture and even ripping my honeysuckle trellis off the wall, before howling down the chimney like a banshee. I did think we were in for a power cut the amount of flickering of lamps that was going on, but we lit the candles, and the incense, put the music on, got the wine and the nibbles and spent a lovely cozy New Years Eve, just ourselves, most of the time, not many people ventured out, just listening, talking, reading and me feeling extra snug with a throw over my knees. It was a really lovely evening. Today we have had blue skies and sunshine, more like a spring day, my garden plants are totally confused leaves are budding on my lilace and I noticed next doors willow tree has buds on, this isn't good this early in the year, I do begin to wonder how to go about planning my garden this year.



Things I am into at the moment:

This is a new spot that I will occasionally post on my site just saying what I am reading, listening to and watching etc.
I have just finished The Secret Life of Bees, by Sue Monk Kidd, which I adored. At the moment I have not started another fiction book, as I am browsing my Christmas books, among which were a new copy of my favourite herb book by Jekka McVicar, my old one fell to pieces, Nigel Slater's Kitchen Diaries, Tessa Kiros Apples for Jam and Sarah Ban Breathnach, Romancing the Ordinary, which I have wanted for a long time. I still have a Sark book and an altered art book to arrive as they are coming from Amazon in the USA, and should be here at the end of the month. I am still listening to Loreena McKennitt's Christmas album, To drive the cold winter away, which I adore, I heard of her from Tara at Silver Apples of the Moon site. Also listening to the first Madeleine Peyroux album, I started with her latest, but got the first one for Christmas. I have been watching some dvds I bought really cheap in HMV in the sales. Pride and Prejudice, the one with Kiera Knightly and Donald Sutherland, [I have watched it twice, I love it] and Memoirs of a Geisha, which I adored. I still have a boxed set of musicals that my son gave me at Christmas to enjoy. I feel so pleased and lucky that I have so many good things to read, listen to and watch at the moment.


18 comments:

Pam Aries said...

Hi Daisy! Welcome to a New year! Hey.. I wouldn't worry about making an error in your new journal! You can always collage over it...Or gesso over it and paint something! Here is to a great New Year!

Lila Rostenberg said...

I think you perfectly describe the chore of taking down Christmas contrasted to the joy of putting it out! I have long tried to make January decorating fun and sparkling too....your bathroom updates sound good!

gma said...

Happy New Year Daisy.....Oh Loreena McKinnett is one of my favs too.I have 'A Winter Garden' and another cd of hers called
'A Book of Secrets".... It's fusion music a mix of celtic and middle eastern belly dancing music...LOVE it!

Heather said...

Happy New Year! Looks like you are up to lots of things! I hope you get done all the things around the house that you hope for and I look forward to further posts about the plans for your garden this coming Spring.

KaiBlue said...

Welcome to 2007 daisy!!
It was nice to visit with your blog while enjoying my daily cuppa.
I have a list of 11 things to do in my house next week..Im **reinventing** the furniture..teehee.. long story!!
Peace and hugs, Kai.

Beth said...

Your blog looks great! So pretty! Sounds like your had a great start to your New Year. Can't wait to see what all you do with your bathroom. I wish I had room for plants in my bathroom.
Happy New Year!

Janet said...

Sounds as if you've been busy. I always thought my house looked naked when I took down the Christmas decorations. Your description is even better though.
I like Loreena McKinnett, too and I have books to read piled up beside my bed. I haven't watched too many DVD's recently but they're good for a cozy night with a fire.

Shelley said...

Thank you for all your inspiring posts throughout 2006. I've always enjoyed visiting your blog. You have such talent. I too love Loreena McKinnett. Beautiful voice. I also enjoy Celtic Woman.

I wish you a great 2007. Keep warm. Spring isn't far off.

Werna Gail said...

Really enjoyed reading your blog and like the photos a lot. I also am a cat person. To bad we do not live closer, I have 4 new kittens that need a good home. Seperating the plants should be no problem. I'll be back.

Annie Jeffries said...

Hi Daisy, What a rich and varied list of plans and projects. Post pix as the bathroom especially is completed. I just recently saw Knightly's P&P. Sublime. And those Paperblank books!! I ran to Google and found the homepage. Breathtaking. Happy New Year yet again. Annie

Miss Robyn said...

I just think tinsel loses it sparkle the day after Christmas...as to the sad & bare look - well I guess with all that glitter and decorations - anything would look bare _ but I take this time to enjoy the simplicity of it all - light a few fresh candles and some gardenias in a bowl..makes the soul sigh with relief that it is over for another year.

I won't even comment on the journal thing as you know my panic where that is concerned :)

I am off to the beach on Saturday for a few days and need to go and buy myself a book to read - any suggestions? I am still to read that book on night gardening.. I want something light and refreshing.
I loved Memoirs of a Geisha - both the book and the movie. Your NY eve sounds perfect to me... oneday we may get to spend it together ! *sigh* hope the universe is listening xoxo

Tinker said...

Happy New Year, Daisy! Glad you didn't lose power, and had a cozy New Year's eve.
Even though I didn't put up much in the way of decorations this year, what little I did seemed to highlight the sad state of everything else, so I have a long to-do list for home.
Thanks for sharing what you're reading and listening to - I love Lorena McKinnett's music whenever I hear it, but I have yet to get one of her CDs (I had a tape of hers, but it broke & I've never replaced it). There's one more thing for me to do this New Year.
Your plants sound lovely - I don't want to advise though - as I'd feel terrible if something happened to them!
Wishing you a happy, healthy, glittery and prosperous New Year!
xo

J C said...

I was going to tell you not to fret over your journal error and to collage over it but Mz. Pammie beat me to it! She's so smart! I think I would LOVE your bathroom. I really like plants in the bathroom. I think they grow so well because of the constant humidity from showers and baths. Oh, what's a little snake slithering in the bathwater with you. LOLOL xoxoxo

Michelle-ozark crafter said...

Happy new year! Sounds like you will be busy! I am tired just reading about it! LOL!

Julie H said...

What a lovely post.

I did giggle about the bathroom, I remember living in a unit 20 years ago where it was the only place the plants would live. You can split the ferns! I have.

And, giggle, I am too scared to take all the Christmas stuff down because I know what dusting will await.

I do love your cat border - very nice.

couragetocreatewriteandlove said...

Happy New Year!! So glad to read so many new things you are into. I am just as lucky as you are, too many things to entertain myself. What's the name of the SARK book you are expecting to arrive soon. I have all of her books and Sarah Ban Breathnach books, too, Romancing the ordinary is my favorite. Keep enjoying yourself. I have never seen a picture of you. I keep imagining you in my head.

Tea said...

Glad you were able to drop by again Daisy. Weird how that is. I have the same problem with the Butler blog. Have to always go to his profile and go back through that way.
Loved Pride and Predjudice!
It does seem a bit overwhelming after the holidays to get moving with all the things needing to be done.
Hope you have a fntstic new year!

tea
xo

tlchang said...

Glad you are enjoying Loreena. I also love many of the things on your list - that latest version of Pride and Prejudice was just about perfect I thought. I also love Jekka McVicar - I have a couple versions of her big herb book which I reference often. I treated myself to a few Dover-published reprintings of 16th century herbal woodcuts for Christmas this year. Someday - when I ever get done with this current big project, I will get back to my herbal ones...