Saturday, January 27, 2007

FROM THE PERSPECTIVE OF A CHILD


I have been doing a lot of thinking about childhood, obviously many, many memories of childhood have come flooding back to me with all this sorting I am doing. It got me thinking about how strange a child's perspective of events and even their visual images of events can be.
Three memories in particular made me start to consider this. [Explanations of
the photographs are given directly underneath them in different colour and font.]

A very disgruntled and fat faced me with her ever faithful Jacko the monkey [ I still have the sad remains of him, motheaten hands filling missing out of arms bare patches] sitting in her pram in the park.

I have said before about my first memories and how I can just remember being in a carriage built pram, I have now found a photo of me in this pram, but a memory I didn't mention was one that even now I cannot get a true perspective on what I was doing, and the images from the child's eyes do not really help. I know I was in my Grandfather's garden, right down at the bottom of it. beyond the lawn and flowerbeds, past the vegetable patch, the raspberry canes and the blackcurrant and gooseberry bushes, into the the wild part where the compost was made and spare pieces of wood and out of use glass cloches were kept. The grass was very very high [so it was probably about knee height on an adult]. I am wearing blue play dungarees, these were cotton dungarees that children who were toddlers wore over their day clothes to play out in, the idea being it would keep their clothes clean. I am walking about but not steadily, slightly drunkenly, and in front of me is a vast machine, I search the ground for tiny little stones which I gather and push down a sort of spout or funnel on the side of the machine, then I wait until I hear a really satisfying plop noise, and start the process all over again. There seems to be a lot of grass and wood around me. and I have a feeling a slightly older child was with me.


In the front garden, when I was about eighteen months old. I hope you like my terrible twinkie curl, you know you could buy a preparation to make the hair stand up like that, very punk.

I have often asked about what there was there, in that part of the garden and have been told again and again there was an old zinc or tin boiler, the sort that is kept in a outdoor washhouse, and my Grandfather used it for steeping various plants and leaves in to make liquid fertiliser. What I see in my mind's eye bears no relation to this, but I think I must have been pushing stones into a part of it that let them fall into the liquid inside, hence the 'plop'. The glass and wood was apparently part of a dismantled greenhouse that was secured to the fence. Apparently, there was an older girl of about four that lived next door that used to play with me. This explanation never satisfies me as I always see the much more wonderous picture of a magical world with strange glass houses and machines.

It's old one eye closed again on a donkey when on holiday at Scarborough. Was this the one that ran off with me on it?


The second memory is a rather whimsical one, I must be about five or six years old and am besotted with fairy tales. My favourite fairy tale is The Twelve Dancing Princesses and I am convinced that I am one and must search for my eleven missing sisters. The time is the summer and when I am put to bed with the curtains drawn and the night still light outside, I wait a while and creep out of bed on to the ottoman beneath my window and stick my head through the curtains. In front of me are the front gardens, the road, the front gardens of the houses on the other side of the road, then behind them two more rows of houses, but if I look up into the distance over the three green fields, I can see the late evening sun shining on tiny little men in brilliant whites playing cricket. Behind the men are many trees and poking out through the trees are two round towers like in a fairy tale, and there seems to be a large brick building between them. I am convinced that this is my castle. I often dream there is a door in the wall of our living room that will take me to the castle, the door is invisible you have to know where to find it. The best time to find it is when the morning sun shines in the room, and you can see a faint oblong outline on the wall, that is when to run your hands over the wall whispering magic words. No, the door never opened for me, but I was told off for dirty handprints on the wall. The outline was a reflection from the sun of one of the living room windows, oh, and the magic castle across the fields, I wasn't much older when I found out it actually was, as they were called in those unlightened days the local mental hospital and lunatic asylum. I am still looking for my eleven sisters though so we can wear our shoes out dancing all night, are you there anywhere?



The third memory, is actually a sequence of memories. Every family has instances over the years that a veil is drawn over, and are never mentioned in public. I know every one of these family crisises in parts. Just a few months ago my Mother was telling me about my Father's brother and how his wife left him for a while in the 1950's. My Father's family lived in a large village that had a majority of Irish Catholic families and this would be a great scandal in those days. I told my Mother I knew about it, she told me I couldn't have, I was only four years old, I then went on to tell her where my Grandmother, Mother and Father were when they were talking about it. She was astounded that I was right, and I went on to repeat other small nuggets of information about the whole family I had collected in my childhood when adults thought I was otherwise occupied. I never had the whole story of these different incidents when I was small, but I am well aware of when different family crisis occured. I must have just had the knack of looking as though I wasn't listening, in fact, I would go as far to say that I wan't intentionally listening, I just absorbed it. I only remember once my other Grandmother saying 'careful ears are flapping' her signal that they were being listened too. Was anyone else as a child aware of undercurrents and crisis?

I always loved hats, gosh it's actually sunny in this photograph, Scarborough again.

I just want to finish off by talking about the naming of objects. Have you ever as a family given a familiar object a family name for it, so that if you mentioned it to anyone else they would have no idea what you meant. One of ours is 'you better go and fetch the boozy'. No, it is not an aged drunken relation, but a high kitchen stool. It was my son at four years old that named it boozy. Why boozy? who knows it is lost in the passage of time, it was a stool he loved sitting on at his Grandma's table, it gave him extra height when he was little. Then my daughter used boozy, and it finally ended up as a spare seat if there were too many at the table. It is never called the stool always just boozy and I am proud to say I have now taken charge of boozy and he shall reside in splendour in my cottage.

A Summer holiday in Scarborough, Mum, me, Grandma and Auntie, yes it is summer, even thought people seemed to be dressed for winter, and look how formally dressed everyone is, you think they were visiting the Queen not enjoying a holiday.


Well this has been a long rambling posting about memories and childhood but I am pleased to write them down so that I will always remember them and I look forward to knowing if anyone else has rather peculiar memories such as these or was I just a rather odd whimsical child. Also hope you have not been bored by this, but if you are you won't have read this far!





24 comments:

Sheila said...

I always find these reminiscences so interesting.I recall at the age of about 18 months sitting under the apple tree digging in the loose soil, hearing the local children coming down the lane from school, and trying to climb upon the gate to see them. Calling out to them. Also of hearing the adults talking, and one of them saying 'little jugs have big ears', and knowing they didn't want me to hear, I would think..Hmm I'll remember that, one day it will make sense..! I would have been about 4.I didn't like being a child, and liked to be alone a lot, often going off on my bike and sitting by the river alone with a book. I'll stop before this turns into a post of my own..!
Thank you for sharing your memories Daisy, it's made me think too.

Miss Robyn said...

I think I must be one of your sisters Daisy, maybe even your twin! I will come out dancing with you - oh what fun we would have!
I have enjoyed reading your childhood memories and have many, many peculiar memories of my own - was definately an odd child who grew up to be a whimsical gal!
xoxoxxox

Lisa Oceandreamer Swifka said...

I read the entire post. I always think it fascinating to read others memories. I don't actually know at what age my memories begin, sometimes they seem to be a jumble making pinpointing age harder in some instances. I do know I had a very vivid imagination from very early on...
It's interesting that fairy tales were a huge part of that.
Thank you for sharing this.
XOXO

Tinker said...

I enjoyed reading about your childhood memories - and the photos! Adorable! Children really do have a much different perspective on things, there are still some childhood memories that puzzle me. My sister not too long ago helped clear up one mystery for me, why my grandmother slept in the front bedroom when I was very small, instead of the back bedroom which was her room later on - and I remember being in trouble for trying the door to that back bedroom when I was little - she told me it was because we had a boarder that rented the room during that time period - though I don't remember the woman who boarded with us at all. Maybe she kept odd hours.
As for the sisters - I'm ready to dance! Funny you should mention this fairytale, as this is my granddaughters' favorite video to watch right now.
Hope you're having a lovely weekend!

Annie Jeffries said...

Reading the memories of others reveals so many commonalities. This is something I plan to do this year - get out the old pictures and take long rambling walks down memory lane. It's important to make sure our stories are out there for our children, and their children, and so on. It's all about legacy.

Rowan said...

I love seeing old photographs and hearing other people's stories and memories of their families. Definitely not boring.

Carole Burant said...

Your stories are never boring dear Daisy, in fact, I always so love reading about your memories of days gone by and seeing old photographs. I do remember a few things here and there from my childhood...one of them was being in the hospital to have my tonsils out...standing in the crib crying for my dad..I was two years old at the time. When I mentioned that to mom she was surprised I even remembered that and said that they'd come out of the elevator to visit me and could hear me crying for dad. lol Hugs xox

Pam Aries said...

I know I WAS an odd whimsical child! ha..to put it politely! hee hee! I love these pics of you ! Yes..everyone looks so proper! I wish tourists would dress up more now! You would NOT believe how THEY lookwalking about town! I keep saying I am gonna take my camera and shoot them!

Janet said...

Daisy, you are never boring! I love your stories whether made up or real. You have such a gift. I think I was one of those kids that heard a lot of things I wasn't supposed to hear! And many of my memories are mixed up with what others have told me happened. At my age it's difficult to separate real from imagined!!

J C said...

Sweet, sweet pictures Daisy. I loved your post. However, if I had Jacko sitting next to me in my pram, I would be a little upset!!! LOL

KaiBlue said...

Such a unique and intreguing childhood Daisy. I love the retrospective pictures, the clothing, buildings and such.. So nostalgic!!
Im glad that you take the time to share so much of yourself with us and give us a window into the special soul known as Daisy!
Peace, Kai.

Beth said...

I think you were a real cutie when you were a youngster. I bet your still cute too. I hope all is well with you Miss Daisy!

gma said...

When I was little my Collie Laddie got distemper...my Dad had to give him a Parvo shot...Laddie died anyway.....For the longest time I thought my Dad had shot and killed Laddie (big misunderstanding)
Your walk down memory lane is fascinating!!!

VintagePretty said...

I love your posts, and this one especially so! I remember little snippets from when I was small, and things do appear so different. Perhaps it is because as children we all have some extra-sense that we lose-touch with when we age. Either way it was lovely to hear about your childhood and what you saw through your eyes :)

Gypsy Purple said...

Is`nt this lovely!!
I truly enjoyed your post and was back again in my own childhood, when I was looking for any broken glas as I a princess and that was my treasures and jewels...sometimes not just the broken one`s and then my mom would search for months...to find her own treasures......and how can we evesdrop!!!
Thanks for sharing
Chamara

Lisa said...

I love your memories interspersed with photos. Very special.

couragetocreatewriteandlove said...

This has been a very delightful post, pictures are adorable, I love the one with the hats and the one with the pony reminds me of my mother since she has one like that of herself. It is also incredible the recollection of memories you have since you are a baby! You are gifted! very! Miss daisy fairy!!!

Naturegirl said...

My memories are dark memories..nice to read of good ones..My father died when I was an infant so mother God bless her did her best..you looked so sweet all dressed in your finery!
Come by as I have heartfelt gifts to give-a-way..any writer would love! That's YoU!hugs

Pear tree cottage! said...

O! Daisy Lupin this is such a lovely post I enjoyed reading every word and the photos well those who know me know that these old memories photos are for me such a treasure.

You are so lucky to have so many lovely moments from your past.

beautiful post truly it was.
Lee-ann

zuzu said...

Miss Daisy =^..^=
Oh I Miss You!!

This was a delightful story. I really enjoyed it. I want a copy of that little chubby cheeked baby picture!! Oh. My. Goodness! How wonderful is that?!

So ... drop on by and say hi why don'tcha? (I have something for you about to be mailed -- don't drop over ::giggle:: but I can't find your address! Send it again?)

=^..^=kisses, zU

Mary Bee said...

My childhood memories are somewhat mystical at moments too. I think growing up in the country, very rural and wide open in nature had a great influence on that for me. Mysteries behind every tree, boulder and turn. Going behind waterfalls and into caver, perching on hill tops and viewing forever. Those were wonderful innocent days. Thank you for sharing Daisy.

Consider yourself tagged for a Meme of your choice at my MeMe's for Maryellen site:
http://oldcrowknees2.blogspot.com/

lizzzzzzzy said...

What a wonderful wealth of treasured memories. Thank you for sharing I was emersed to the last word. Memories of childhood can be a rich resorse of joy and saddness, blended together for a special fit of a memory hat. Lizzzzzzzzzzy in the dolly swap.

Unknown said...

You were very stylish and a great sense of humor seems evident too! I enjoyed this!!!

Bimbimbie said...

Hi Daisy

Oh, Oh and Oh! I enjoyed my weekend visit to you so much that I had to return and start from Jan 07 and see what I have missed so far *!* Being a born n bred Yorkshire Lass I loved seeing your childhood photos at Scarborough. I have a big soft spot from childhood visits with family and school day trips and again in the late 70's with my then boyfriend who became my husband and still is. We visited dear old Scarborough just a couple of years ago and hope to see it again in the future. Thanks for this trip down memory lane Daisy.