Friday, January 05, 2007

INSPIRATION EXPLOSION



By nine thirty this morning I was on planet bliss, why? I have just received through the post some issues of Cloth Paper Scissors. At last I have found somewhere in the UK that will send me this magazine. I ordered the current issue and the previous issue. I have been sitting with a cup of coffee, turning over the pages, colours and forms whirling round in my brain, I haven't even began to read the text yet. I just can't get enough of the images. You don't know how lucky you are you gals over the pond to be able to have magazines of this calibre. We have nothing like it, just twee card making magazines which usually are just step by step instructions to making, not juicy inspiring journals such as this. I have now ordered a Stampington magazine, but there are many others listed, unfortunately, I can't buy them all, but I would be grateful if any of you have any recommendations for favourites. I did not believe magazines could be so inspiring.




On Wednesday, I had a lovely surprise when I received a piece of Guerilla Art from Mis Judie Macawhead, [see above], it certainly made my day, which I knew was going to be a very stressful one. This piece of work with its delicious cats is now framed and hanging above my work desk, where it makes me smile each time I look up at it. The envelope made me chuckle too, there was a fairy with a magnifying glass flying over a map of Cumbria looking for me, collaged on it. Delightful! Thank you Judie.


Wednesday was a stressful day as out of the blue I received a phone call saying there was a flat in shetlered accommodation about to become available for my Mum if she wanted it. I had to go and view it that morning, the occupant is in the middle of moving to be nearer her children so the flat was half empty. I thought it looked fine, said so, so when the lady hands in her keys, my mother must view it and then sign the tenancy agreement. I then had to go to see my Mum and explain about the flat, that took four hours of exhausting talk. She does want to move, but she, naturally enough, lives life in the slow lane and the speed of all this has left her somewhat confused, she is no longer good at making sudden decisions and becomes very indecisive. I have told her many times that when she eventually found new accommdation everything would happen with great speed. I would imagine she will be in there within six weeks. So everything is about to become very very hectic indeed.




When I arrived home that night, the stress was already telling on me, I sank into a chair still in my outdoor coat and just burst into tears, for no reason I could think of. Luckily husband was on hand to make me a soothing drink, coffee my favourite way, light my candles and incense and let me slowly chill out. I must remember in all the sorting etc that will be happening in the next few weeks to keep some small spaces of time for metime, when I can relax and indulge in pleasant things.

So, all small plans I had for rejigging rooms of my cottage, have taken on a larger frame with my Mum moving as the plan works like this. Four lists, one for items, my Mum is taking with her, the second for items to be stored in the interim in my barn, the third for items I am lucky enough to be inheriting from her and the fourth charity shop items or complete throw away items. This sounds organised but believe me it is mammoth, a whole lifetime's accumulations to be gone through. My cupboards, niches and storage space must be emptied to enable them to be repacked with extra boxes. I see a shoppping expedition for vacuum storage packages to enable more storage, plastic storage boxes etc. Once I get the word the flat is empty I am going to have a seriously frantic few weeks.



It was my Local History Group meeting last night, I am so glad I started this group, I love to hear the members of varying ages talk about how the village used to be. I am organising a summer schedule of illustrated talks from various local historians, to which anyone in the village can attend for the princely sum of £1, I just want enough to pay for the hall hire and the speaker, it is not a profit making group.

We have also decided to have what I call a Show and Tell, one Saturday morning after Easter. This is where we put up photos past and present of the village, newspaper cuttings about it, maps, and various bits and pieces, people can pop in to look at these and also bring any photographs, house deeds, clippings, artifacts, even memories to show us. We have a strong basic group but the feedback I am getting is that there are many more people out there that are interested in the group but do not want to committ to joining yet, so lectures and the Show and Tell are the ideal way of reaching them. I had someone in to give a lecture in November and it was a great success.




Also when the Spring arrives, we are going to do a group walk around the village and the parish churches nosing about here and there and taking photos. I think people become so used to their surroundings and think they are familiar with them, but to walk around looking at details in a group will give them a fresh appreciation of the village.

This posting was slightly longer but, thank you Mr. B***** Blogger, for somehow managing to lose a saved draft in cyberspace, I have had to write it all again



23 comments:

Ambermoggie, a fragrant soul said...

Hi Daisy, sounds as if you are goinmg to be busy:) I have some rubberstampmadness, somerset studio and cloth paper scissors mags if you want them?
amber in scotland
email me at amberdotmoggie
at glenkensbb dotcodotuk

J C said...

Oh Daisy, when I first opened your blog and saw that top picture, I thought, is that Daisy and her friends sitting in front of her cottage sewing. How fun. Then of course I realized it was a painting. But it's wonderful. I am sorry you have to go thru the stress of moving your mom, but in the end it will work out. You are a good daughter to care for her as you do. God Bless!

Lisa said...

Quilting Arts and Somerset Studio are two of my favorites, after CPS. I'm so happy you were able to get that one.

It really sounds like you have a lot of work ahead of you. She is lucky to have you looking out for her. It's no wonder you collapsed in a chair and had a good cry. It's so stress-inducing. It's good you have an understanding husband to help you chill.

Isn't Judie something. Love the things she sent your way. The envelope with the fairy sounds so cute.

Miss Robyn said...

I JUST have to visit your area oneday! it looks delightful xo
cee you when I get home xo

Janet said...

First, I'm happy you found Cloth Paper Scissors. Isn't it just the best?! Then I read about your hectic day and all that is ahead for you and your mom. It sounds like a big task. Wish I could pop over and give you a hand.
Your history group sounds like fun. The walk in the Spring is a great idea. You're so right that people get comfortable with their surroundings but they don't really see what's there until someone points it out to them.

Lisa Oceandreamer Swifka said...

Dear Daisy, it sounds as though life is keeping you quite busy. I know what a daunting task it will be to sort and move your mom but hopefully when all is said and done she will be happy in her new place. Having had to do this not once but twice I know how much accumulation builds up. Lists are helpful. She is very lucky to have you!!!!
What wonderful mail you received from dear Judie.
Make sure you do get that "me" time, it's essential to have moments to breathe, cry, scream, relax, close your eyes...whatever works.
I've missed you!
OH and so glad you received the magazine. Somerset and Quilting Arts are fantastic ones as well.. if you can get them.
Love,
Lisa
XOXO

Carole Burant said...

Oh dear, you certainly are starting off the new year being very busy...I do hope your mom's move goes smoothly but I know the huge job it will be to empty out her home first! After my dad passed away, mom decided to move into an apartment...we had to go through all my dad's stuff and then hers because she couldn't fit everything into an apartment. She was trying to get me to take all her stuff but as I told her, I can only fit so much in my house! lol your history group sounds like such a marvellous time to reminisce and learn of past history...I would really love something like that! We are indeed very lucky over here where magazines are concerned...they're just getting so expensive though! Much love xoxo

Werna Gail said...

I was only 42 when my mother passed away, I'm now 63. I really miss her. Try to look at this whole move thing as an adventure instead of the hard work that it will be, and cherish every moment with your mom.The walk in the spring sounds like a wonderful thing, I love the pictures of the buildings. Be Blessed.

KaiBlue said...

wow Ms Daisy.. what a day you've had..I think I'd be overstressed too..
(((hugs))
If you'd like any magazines from here, I can bring you the latest ones when Im there in March? Just name your poison :)
Peace, Kai.

Tinker said...

I'm so glad you received your Cloth Paper Scissors and Miss Judie's delightful package, in time to offset some of your stress. What a good daughter you are - I hope you do make sure to schedule yourself that "me" time.

Your history group plans sound lovely! How lucky your village is to have you pulling everyone together to keep its history alive.

Oh, and I love Somerset Studios and Belle Armoire - with your costume designing background I think you might likt that one too.
Take good care of you! XOXO

Pam Aries said...

Hi Daisy! Woooo.....You did have a big day! I hope all goes well eth your Mum. Now,,,remember to relaxxxx and have a cup of tea and some chocolat!!!! don't you just love those mags! When I first discovered them I thought I had gone to Artsy Heaven! Love ya!

Annie Jeffries said...

So much, Daisy. Culling through a lifetime of possessions is a huge challange indeed. I so know the feeling exactly. But it's wonderful that a safer place has been found for your mom. DH will be a rock for you. Cloth, Paper, Scissor is fabulous. Be sure to read page 14 right away. Corey Amaro (Tongue in Cheek blog) has an article there on Passion that will feed your soul.

Tea said...

Pamper yourself some more Daisy. Wishing you all the best in the new year and tht things will get a lot less stressful with moving your Mum.
Look forward to seeing your history pictures of the village!

tea
xo

gma said...

Your village looks so charming. Would love to be a little birdy
at the Show and Tell....You are so busy ...hope things go smooth with your Mums move.... Judies guerilla art is cool...
xoxo

Naturegirl said...

Oh my I love the new look and all the cats surrounding your posts! So much to read here but natureboy calls me to contribute to preparing dinner...will return promise to read all!
Hugs NG

Beth said...

Oh how I wish I could walk around your lovely village with you. I love to see the pics you post of it. Hang in there Daisy,,its going to be hectic, but you can do it. I will tell you that my fave mags or anything that Somerset puts out. Stamper sampler, Take Ten, Somerset Gallery. They absolutely have the best mags. But I do dearly love CPS,,haven't got the newest one yet, but will have it by next week.
Have a lovely sunday Dear Daisy!!

Naturegirl said...

I am back and have completed the read here. I know how you feel re: mum as I still have boxes of my mums belongings stored in my basement that I need to sort through and give to charity but somehow I cannot do it.Sadness takes over.(As you know I placed my mum in a assisted living home)I enjoyed all your images in this post.hugs NG

Michelle-ozark crafter said...

What a day and a half! My word! here is a hug for you! ((((((daisy)))))) Want to come help us move here across the pond in April? LOL!

Anonymous said...

Oh Daisy sounds like you are going to have a frantic few weeks. Do remember to take the me time. Love Hugs and Blessings

lizzzzzzzy said...

Daisy, I don't know you well...yet. Thank you for sharing from your heart your journey has gotten twisted, but be assured the path will level out. You are dealing with big issues and your share will touch many souls, if not on this path soon will be. Between the lines you oooze kindness and compassion. thank you for the blog trip to yoru village, a real bonus.

Sheila said...

It will be a difficult and emotional task, but once she is settled you will both feel better about it. My Dad is in a seniors residence, & hated it at first, but now if you were to ask him, he would say it was what he always wanted. That's if you can find him, as he is usually with someone socializing. He has senile dementia, and often doesn't know me now, so it's good to know he feels secure and is happy where he is.

Julie H said...

Wow! What a busy day. I love CPS so much that I took out a three year subscription! Now that they have gone bi-monthly instead of quarterly it will be shorter but the rate was really good - and they post it all the way to Australia for me.

I got my new issue today and have had a look at the letters, waiting until all todays chores are done and I will sit for an hour or two with a cuppa.

How wonderful to have found a nice place for your Mum - I hope she settles in well.

Rosa said...

I know how hard it is dealing with an elderly mother. My mom moved in with us three years ago. I have slowly been returning to her home and bringing things here in boxes. Last summer, I went one last time and gathered the last of it. Cleaning the attic of almost 50 years of junk was the worst. What is left will be sold with the house. Hang in there Daisy. My thoughts are with you. xoxo