Sunday, May 28, 2006


I would just like to say thank you to all of you out there who have so far left comments on my blog, when I started it I did wonder if anyone would ever bother with it and have been pleasantly surprised. It is lovely when I check my blog before making a new post to see comments for my previous post, I just love exchanging ideas and writing about my life with people out there. Keep commenting you lovely people.xx

The man in the battered old photograph to the right is my great grandfather, Alfred. I never knew him, he died long before I was born but he was a great gardener, he was head of a team of a public park's gardeners but turned down the job of actual park-keeper as he would no longer be able to be 'hands on' with the earth and plants. He taught his son-in-law who was my grandfather, all that he knew about plants and vegetables and I can remember as a little girl helping my grandfather in his garden. I think that is where my love of gardening has come from, although due to where we lived I have had to wait until a few years ago for a garden of my own. I often think of my great grandfather, Alfred, when I garden and whimsically think that he keeps me right in how to grow my plants, and they do certainly grow. The strange thing is that one of my obsessions are tulips and my mother tells me they were his obsession too.




Well that is the end of the Chelsea Flower Show for this year, I love watching Chelsea, although some of the more modern gardens are not to my taste. I loved the Wormcast garden, and the Daily Telegraph garden and the photo of the garden above is certainly a talking point. I loved the planting of it with all its herbs and the green lady lying in the middle. You can check all these gardens out on the BBC.co.uk/gardening website. I like my gardens crammed full of flowers and herbs and love old fashioned cottage type flowers, and lovely fragances you can enjoy when you sit out in the evening. There is always something I would love at Chelsea and this year I was really taken with the North American Pacific Irises from Broadleigh Nursery, they have wonderful colours and some are almost orchid like and they have a longer flowering season, I believe, than ours, in fact I have sent off for a catalogue of them. Catalogues! well there is another subject for a posting I am a catalogue fanatic and am always requesting them. My husband laughs every morning and says 'any catalogues for you today?', but they are such good sources of inspiration aren't they?

5 comments:

Kali said...

Hi Daisy ~ thanks for popping in and commenting on my site, I appreciate your time and comments.
I am in total awe of your wonderful garden! I love these types of gardens, and find so much inspiration from your efforts...Unfortunately my garden has a long way to go, before it gets that cottagey look.

You are very lucky to have that photo of your great grandfather Alfred...and how nice for you to know that you both share the same obsession for tulips!

Boxwood Cottage said...

Ah how nice to have a head gardener as a grandfather! So the gardening lies in your roots!

My Grandfather was a forester and when I've passed my holidays there as a child, he often took me to the woods and mountains of the "Harz" and explained me the trees, plants, stones, animals etc. It's a precious memory just like yours I suppose.

VintagePretty said...

I liked Chelsea this year - it had some nice gardens. I am particularly fond of 'useful' gardens, as well as pretty ones, and somehow Chelsea leaves me lacking in that respect. But as far as blooms themselves go, they had as good a range as ever.

It's really interesting to find out about other people's families, thanks for posting about yours!

Naturegirl said...

Daisy your great grandad's spirt lives through you in the garden I truly believe spirits do come into our oasis we call our garden.So much of our love, heart and soul goes into it!!I posted "Amazing Gracey" May21 and that picture of the women in the garden is the same I posted!! Mine though was a newspaper clipping I was reading and you actually had the luxury of seeing Gracey in person!!! Oh I envy you!! AMAZING!!:)p.s. I will go out to the log house I posted about and take MORE photos for you and post.. not immediately though!

David (Snappy) said...

I added Amazing Gracey too but i lifted the image from the Chelsea RHS website.It is amazing planting the nature spirit.My mum's family were all from Cirencester in Gloucestershire.My grandad loved his small backgarden that faced the railway tracks in Selby.I have Sedum/Sempervivum from there by the backdoor in a container.
The gardeners blood flows down and when i started at uni helping mum do her garden i got hooked.
you have inherited his touch judging by your photos.