Tuesday, May 30, 2006



The birds woke me up this morning with their dawn chorus, and looking at the bedroom window I could see that at last the sky looked as though it was going to be clear and blue. I went back to sleep and when I awoke later, the sun was shining and the sky was blue with puffy white clouds. It just felt so good to see the sun, and I decided I could wait no longer and went out to buy some of my summer bedding plants. I picked plants to fill pots themselves and some to plant in front of some of my lilies in pots. Lots of lovely petunias, in trays of mixed vibrant colours, but also a tray of just those magnificent deep blue ones. I also got some trays of impatiens [busy lizzies], some white, some pink and a lovely peach coloured one. I am going to visit some plant nurseries next Monday, and hope to finish my summer plant buying then.

I then went to visit my mother as I was going to help her sort out some boxes she has in her outhouse. I had fun sorting through ornaments and books before they went to a charity shop and she gave me a lovely small tea set of delicate white china decorated with tiny forget-me-nots, the cups of which are fluted at the top. I also brought home a large pile of books, that I had read in the past, both fiction and non-fiction, as I can make room for them in my book crammed house! There were two interesting cook books from the early 1950's, one was 'Cooking with Elizabeth Craig' which is very quaint. I also brought back a box of buttons which I am looking forward to sorting through.

I retuned home this early evening and spent the last hour of the sunshine, sitting in my garden drinking a cup of coffee and thinking about the pleasure to come of planting out my plant purchases. A very satisfying day.

1 comment:

David (Snappy) said...

I work as a staff nurse, and one nightshift we sat outside watching the sun come up, and the birds singing.The other nurse said her grandfather used to talk about the dawn chorus.
I love busy lizzies, but in the hot days of may I planted out twenty four plants.Frosts totally wiped out all but three!Doh!
I love trailing petunias too with the showy flowers and the way they cascade down.
Hope your garden fills up with colour and you enjoy the summer.